Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked the comment of one commentator who said that if you are starting a country like the USA did in 1776, there is no need for a monarchy, but if you already have one like the UK has had for a thousand years, the British have it just about right. The Queen was a symbol who everyone could revere. If she had taken political stances, that would have been lost.

The British wait a year for proper mourning until the fancy coronation - for King Charles, it will be in 2023 even though he is King right away. It turns out that the coronation for Elizabeth was the day before I was born. Some years ago, I received as a birthday present, a newspaper from my birthdate and the coronation of Elizabeth was the lead headline.

She was a dedicated servant to the people of the UK. May she Rest In Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Django View Post
      I was impressed that British people who were interviewed by TV reporters seemed articulate. These days, Americans might have said something like, “I was like, wow, when I heard…”
      I'm not sure the people you heard would have been a representative sample. Conversely, I'm often impressed by American athletes interviewed after competition. Perhaps media training plays a part, but in addition to being articulate many of them seem genuinely delightful (with notable exceptions, of course!).
      Those cringeworthy videos that regularly pop up of students revealing themselves to be not just horribly inarticulate but also astoundingly ignorant could easily be replicated here in the UK.
      Last edited by trevorp; 09-11-2022, 04:54 PM.

Comment

growing up in Canada, I remember when the paper money showed a devil in the Queen's hair:

https://www.bankofcanadamuseum.ca/2018/10/devil-hairdo/

Comment

I thought the greatest epitaph came from France's President Emmanuel Macron, who said, "To the British, she was your Queen. But to the world, she was The Queen."

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
            I thought the greatest epitaph came from France's President Emmanuel Macron, who said, "To the British, she was your Queen. But to the world, she was The Queen."
            I just love it when the French - one of the most despotic, cowardly, countries regarding “colonies”, decides to speak for the whole world.

Comment

[QUOTE=gh;n1772389]then there's Neil Young's incomparable treatment of the Coronation; I've never been able to watch this without tearing up....

A common reaction amongst (white) Brit Commonwealth types. In 1971 when I was resident in Canada, in Moscow, a lady at the hotel asked for a Canadian coin to add to her collection. When I gave her a quarter, she asked who was the lady on the coin. I had a tough time trying to explain “how come”.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                She's the only one to open two Olympics: London ’12, of course, but also Montréal ’76.
                That's where I saw her live - in Montréal. Walking along innocently when she and her entourage exited her hotel about 25 yards away. She did not acknowledge my presence.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Only to open 2 Summer Olympics - Adolf Hitler opened 1936 Berlin and 1936 Garmisch-Partenkirchen. But as I said on twitter the only thing anyone did after his death was celebrate it.
                  According to Wikipedia, at least two other people have opened both Winter and Summer Olympics. Giovanni Gronchi in 1956 and 1960, and Emperor Hirohito in 1964 and 1972.

Comment

Originally posted by catson52 View Post

I just love it when the French - one of the most despotic, cowardly, countries regarding “colonies”, decides to speak for the whole world.
                    Were the Brits and other colonial powers better in that respect?
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

Were the Brits and other colonial powers better in that respect?
                      All European countries with one time colonies were equally bad, with the Belgians perhaps the gold medallists. As one whose ancestors suffered under British rule, and personally experienced racism in Australia, UK, Canada and USA, I will be glad to “defend” my views, on a person to person basis.

Comment

Who are we to blame for the persecution/exploitation/expulsion of the American Indians, Spain, France, Britain, United States?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf49 View Post
                          Who are we to blame for the persecution/exploitation/expulsion of the American Indians, Spain, France, Britain, United States?
                          All of them.

Comment

we're wandering far off-topic here

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                              we're wandering far off-topic here
                              I would suggest not. Where was Elizabeth when her father died and she became the Queen? On a safari holiday in Kenya, when the Brits were doing terrible things in that very country, in the name of their monarchs. Two connected points. (a) This was during the premiership of another great "hero" of whites, Sir Winnie Churchill. (2) The Brit Foreign Office subsequently burned most of their files related to Kenya of that period. So, "Good Queen Bess II" got off on a very high note for her 70 year "rule".

Comment

Originally posted by catson52 View Post

I would suggest not. Where was Elizabeth when her father died and she became the Queen? On a safari holiday in Kenya, when the Brits were doing terrible things in that very country, in the name of their monarchs. Two connected points. (a) This was during the premiership of another great "hero" of whites, Sir Winnie Churchill. (2) The Brit Foreign Office subsequently burned most of their files related to Kenya of that period. So, "Good Queen Bess II" got off on a very high note for her 70 year "rule".
                                I assume you put the word "rule" in quotation marks because, as a a constitutional monarch, she has no real power. Not that I would condone the various atrocities that occurred from time to time during the history of the British Empire.

Comment

Working...
                                X