Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Far from perfect, but I am halfway invested in a few of the characters so I keep going back. Maybe you were right about Sauron, but that doesn't seem to fit with how he was portrayed in the LOTR (a giant).

Not even a mention of a ring so far. I don't want to wait nine months for Season Two, I will lose interest. Better yet, I will go read the trilogy! Yay!

Comment

Well, that didn't go as planned. It might be slow, etc., but you can't say they didn't build in some twists and turns.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
        Well, that didn't go as planned. It might be slow, etc., but you can't say they didn't build in some twists and turns.
        We were losing steam on the series, too slow and ponderous in its own self-importance, but the revelations last night re-energized us. Galadriel seriously needs to get . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          We were losing steam on the series, too slow and ponderous in its own self-importance, but the revelations last night re-energized us. Galadriel seriously needs to get . . .

Get lost?
          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

I saw the Season One finale tonight and I do not think it is a spoiler to say we finally saw some rings. And they did clear up a couple things. We know who Sauron is. Steele was right and I was wrong. And we know the tall stranger is a good guy - no surprise there - and I still think I know who. I won’t say more other than that we have a long way to go in the Second Age - it is probably between Year 1000 and 1500. And the Second Age went over 3000 years. So there is plenty of room for several seasons.

All in all, it could be better, could be worse, but I think worth watching.
            Last edited by Halfmiler2; 10-16-2022, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              A shower? She was in that suit of armor for days? Weeks?
              A face massage? Loosening up those facial muscles might get us something other than the Galadriel Glare.

I will say that dress she was wearing at the end was 10/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                I saw the Season One finale tonight and I do not think it is a spoiler to say we finally saw some rings. And they did clear up a couple things. We know who Sauron is. Steele was right and I was wrong. And we know the tall stranger is a good guy - no surprise there - and I still think I know who. I won’t say more other than that we have a long way to go in the Second Age - it is probably between Year 1000 and 1500. And the Second Age went over 3000 years. So there is plenty of room for several seasons.

All in all, it could be better, could be worse, but I think worth watching.
                Well, I may have been correct about who Sauron wasn't, but I certainly wasn't correct about who he WAS. I agree about the tall stranger, I thought from early on that he was who he alluded to at the end. After that mid-episode curveball.

This episode re-kindled my interest, hope they can maintain something close to this level of intrigue.

Comment

I think the tall stranger could be one of two characters in the Third Age. Unfortunately, I think they will pick the wrong one in my view.

Comment

This is all Sanskrit to me. I have never read nor viewed anything LOTR. Is it too late to start?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      This is all Sanskrit to me. I have never read nor viewed anything LOTR. Is it too late to start?
                      No way!! As long as you plan on hanging around for the nonce.

Start with the book - The Fellowship of the Ring

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                        I think the tall stranger could be one of two characters in the Third Age. Unfortunately, I think they will pick the wrong one in my view.
                        I think they made it abuntantly clear both with his statements and his backstory..

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Thanks, Scott. my oldest uncle lived to age 105. I figure that gives me 14 years to catch up.

Comment

Better to read The Hobbit first? The immediate backstory to The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post

Better to read The Hobbit first? The immediate backstory to The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
                              I never thought so. There's enough recounting in FOTR to make it make sense.

Also - opinion - The Hobbit very much reads like a children's book and although Lonewolf is probably comfortably in his 2nd childhood... ...I'd say The Hobbit is for after if he's hooked.

GH might have a thought??

Comment

I never thought so. There's enough recounting in FOTR to make it make sense.

Also - opinion - The Hobbit very much reads like a children's book and although Lonewolf is probably comfortably in his 2nd childhood... ...I'd say The Hobbit is for after if he's hooked.

GH might have a thought??
                                yes, Hobbit is suitable as back material once you've done LOTR, but it's no way to get hooked. As you say, it's positioned too much like a kid's book.

For further advice to lonewolf (or anybody else) I'd say weigh your relative positions on being a bibliophile vis a vis being a cinephile and seriously consider (SACRILEGE ALERT!) doing the movie as a starting place.

Comment

Working...
                                X