Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Burns: "The U.S. and the Holocaust"

The 2nd part of the 3-part series is airing tonight on PBS. I missed part 1 but I plan on going back and watching from the beginning. Has Ken Burns ever made anything that isn't must-see TV?

Yes the great man has another project airing this week. Not a pleasant subject especially if you know it well and understand it's horrible nature. I hope Burns isn't applying 21 century values to the 30's when assessing blame, Most of my reading this summer was pre-WW2 stuff and we were an isolationist country and by no means the prepared military superpower US quickly had to become. So you can see why the Gov. had no use for a large group of Europeans coming over, as selfish,and unjustifiable as it was.

I have some interest in how Burns treats Chas.Lindbergh. In addition to being a celebrity genius aviator he was also an oddball in his personal life and an 'America First' campaigner who FDR viewed as a threat on two levels. It's been written that Canadian super spy William Stephenson paid special attention to Lindbergh's activities. It's also been said that while Wild Bill Donovan was the face of the newly organized OSS, it was actually being directed by Stephenson on the behalf of England.

The series has the narration of P.Coyote which is always a plus. I've seen 2/3 and it's good. Of the celebrity voices in it, the two I recognized were M.Streep and Giamarti. I'm trying to think of anything in it that I didn't know. Not much.

Interesting note that WGBH Boston which provides a lot of content for PBS fired a well known media personality last year who had made a comment about documentarians not being happy about Burns's access to PBS. She more or less told them to get lost, in an on-air comment which did not go over well at staid Ch.2. Andy Rooney's daughter Emily was axed (like her dad) after being made to apologize. Burns is booked years in advance. I did not know about this latest broadcast until last month. Burns resides in Walpole,NH where he eats at his own restaurant daily. ​
    Last edited by Adam$; 09-26-2022, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Have not seen any of it yet, but I did hear Burns giving an interview with John Fugelsang last week on his latest work. I have no reason to doubt that he will be as respectful of the subject as he has been on his other works.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
        The 2nd part of the 3-part series is airing tonight on PBS. I missed part 1 but I plan on going back and watching from the beginning. Has Ken Burns ever made anything that isn't must-see TV?
        I just finished his Ben Franklin stuff last night. While it is a good documentary, I wouldn't call it "must-see." His format of story telling has serious limitation applied to an era that did not have photography, let alone flim clips. Honestly, I could have got the same information in a written format, and probablymore efficiently.

As for the Holocaust documentary, I have recorded the first two episodes, and will watch them when I have enough time.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

I just finished his Ben Franklin stuff last night. While it is a good documentary, I wouldn't call it "must-see." His format of story telling has serious limitation applied to an era that did not have photography, let alone flim clips. Honestly, I could have got the same information in a written format, and probablymore efficiently.

As for the Holocaust documentary, I have recorded the first two episodes, and will watch them when I have enough time.
          Most, if not all, Burns productions are similar in fashion. Is it a style you don't enjoy or is it just this particular doc that you have reservations with?

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Most, if not all, Burns productions are similar in fashion. Is it a style you don't enjoy or is it just this particular doc that you have reservations with?
            His documentaries on more recent history used photos and film clips effectively to tell the story. He couldn't have possibly done that with Franklin.

As for the content of this particular documentary, there was not much new "perspective" on his life, although I learned some interesting trivia.

Comment

Finished part 1. Most of it leads us through the changes in Germany that led to the Holocaust. What is clear is that in the U.S. is that the anti refugee fervor now is eerily similar to the 30's.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
                Finished part 1. Most of it leads us through the changes in Germany that led to the Holocaust. What is clear is that in the U.S. is that the anti refugee fervor now is eerily similar to the 30's.
                Anti refugee or anti illegal immigrant?

Some semantic games can completely alter the discussion, which is of course the goal.
                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Anti refugee or anti illegal immigrant?

Some semantic games can completely alter the discussion, which is of course the goal.
                  unacceptable polittical commentary removed

Part 2 of Burns documentary is quite revealing about how isolationist we were about getting into WW2 until the Japanese forced us into it.
                  Last edited by gh; 09-25-2022, 04:01 PM.

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me that, on a board that is supposed to be free of politics, you guys still get your licks in with impunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
                      It never ceases to amaze me that, on a board that is supposed to be free of politics, you guys still get your licks in with impunity.
                      👍👍

Comment

After hearing Charles Lindbergh speak for the first time --briefly-- in the series I would describe it as David Brinkley-like but a higher tone. With all the flying acclaim and difficulties that came with having his child kidnapped/murdered to end the 30's battling FDR seemed like an odd choice.

What was not mentioned by Burns was while CL was very much against war with Europe ended up flying in the Pacific as a private citizen after being allowed in with the AF as an over-age pilot. A general whose name I can't remember got him in.
                        He is credited for shooting down at least on enemy aircraft and was said to be loved by the pilots (who were in short supply) he flew with though he did not wear the uniform. He was not a pacifist. He was very clear though: he did not care who won in Europe.
                        Last edited by Adam$; 09-26-2022, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam$ View Post
                          After hearing Charles Lindburgh speak for the first time --briefly-- in the series I would describe it as David Brinkley-like but a higher tone. With all the flying acclaim and difficulties that came with having his child kidnapped/murdered to end the 30's battling FDR seemed like an odd choice.

What was not mentioned by Burns was while CL was very much against war with Europe ended up flying in the Pacific as a private citizen after being allowed in with the AF as an over-age pilot. A general whose name I can't remember got him in.
                          He is credited for shooting down at least on enemy aircraft and was said to be loved by the pilots (who were in short supply) he flew with though he did not wear the uniform. He was not a pacifist. He was very clear though: he did not care who won in Europe.

Interesting!!

Good thing enough people did care.

Comment

Originally posted by Steele View Post
                            Yeah, as the, curiously, only surviving admitted conservative on the forum, I have to bite my tongue a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

Yeah, as the, curiously, only surviving admitted conservative on the forum, I have to bite my tongue a lot.
                              Not only bro! 🤘

But point taken.

Comment

Working...
                              X