Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Nurse Ratched

Actress Louise Fletcher, best known for playing villain Nurse Ratched in the 1975 movie “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” has died at age 88. The American actress “died peacefully at her home" in Montdurausse, France, “surrounded by her family,” they said in a statement to The Washington Post on Saturday. They did not cite a cause of death.

Fletcher won an Academy Award for best actress in her role playing a cruel nurse in a psychiatric hospital in Oregon, terrorizing her patients, among them Randle McMurphy, played by actor Jack Nicholson. Will Sampson, Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd also played patients in the film.

“I’ve loved being hated by you,” Fletcher told a star-studded crowd as she collected her Academy Award. Other actresses such as Ellen Burstyn and Angela Lansbury reportedly declined the role, with Fletcher telling the press they likely “didn’t want to appear so horrible on the screen.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...-cuckoos-nest/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onm5gjgL97Y

See how many guys you can recognize.
    Last edited by jeremyp; 09-24-2022, 08:24 PM.

Cuckoo's Nest is one of my all time favorite movies, and Fletcher is a big part of the reason. RIP . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
      Cuckoo's Nest is one of my all time favorite movies, and Fletcher is a big part of the reason. RIP . . .
      It was a fantastic book.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        It was a fantastic book.
        While the movie completely ignored the central narrative role of Chief Bromden, it is easily the best book/movie combo since Heart of Darkness / Apocolypse Now. I taught both in a lit/film course with great success.

edit - whoever cast that film should have won an Oscar - the entire Crazy Ward ensemble, led by Nicholson and Fletcher was incredibly good. I thought for sure sure some really were mentally ill.
        Last edited by Atticus; 09-25-2022, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X