Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJD
    replied
    The post on that AP article is verging on grinchy.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Re: covering my bases

Originally posted by bad hammy
    From another thread:

Originally posted by tandfman
    At any rate, my observation of human nature tells me that if anything, I'm likely to be even grinchier in my dotage.
    tandfman,
    This appears to be proving correct!
    You think that's grinchy? You ain't seen nuttin'.

(Actually, I have to admit that when I wrote that post, I was thinking that someone might call me on the grinch issue. Hey, there are times ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Both of us.)

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied
    Just today I got an email from my dad that corrected me when I asked him about a donation that I had made through him and I said: "Who do I make the cheque out to." I am pushing 50 and have been hearing that sort of thing for almost my entire lifetime. It's why I like the edit function. I can't help it.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Re: "Fiction novel"

Originally posted by tafnut
    but I read in today's paper that all sorts of people want to boycott, sue, or flat-out damn (in the original meaning) Dan Brown and the makers of the movie!
    It may be fiction, but they obviously made that film since it sends a message that they want people in the US to see. Either that, or it will make them a ton of money because the book was so popular.

I have to agree that 'fiction' and 'novel' is so redundant that it does send a message of illiteracy. As a teacher, life is always easier when pandering to the lowest common denominator but it is important to keep the bar high. This is the classic slippery slope.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied

From another thread:

Originally posted by tandfman
    At any rate, my observation of human nature tells me that if anything, I'm likely to be even grinchier in my dotage.
    tandfman,

This appears to be proving correct!

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

Originally posted by dr ngo
    FWIW, many of my college history students appear to use the term "novel" as a generic for any extended prose work, including memoirs and travel accounts. I have no idea where this comes from, but there it is ...
    They ain't getting it from me! Our students seem to have a firm grasp on the difference between fiction and non-fiction genres! Not one of them thinks Da Vinci Code is ANYTHING but fiction, but I read in today's paper that all sorts of people want to boycott, sue, or flat-out damn (in the original meaning) Dan Brown and the makers of the movie!

Leave a comment:

• stiffdogg
    replied
    Or?

Or you are now intrigued as to whether or not the novel was written by a bright person, or not so bright person, and are subconsciously more inclined to pick up a copy just to see.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Originally posted by stiffdogg
    I'm a teacher when I'm not writing and I've learned something. There are a lot of people who are not too bright. So for the half that don't know what fiction is, I put novel. For the half that don't know what a novel is, I put fiction. I figure this way I hit a few more people on the ends of the curve.
    But you're also going to offend literate people who see "fiction novel" as sign that the writer of that phrase may be among those who are "not too bright." And even if you are bright, if you are writing for the audience that does not react negatively to phrases like that, your writing is not likely to interest me and my ilk. I suspect that I, and readers like me, buy a lot more books than people who don't know what fiction is, or what a novel is. Write for those people, in your published works or on Internet message boards, at your peril.

Leave a comment:

• stiffdogg
    replied
    covering my bases

I'm a teacher when I'm not writing and I've learned something. There are a lot of people who are not too bright. So for the half that don't know what fiction is, I put novel. For the half that don't know what a novel is, I put fiction. I figure this way I hit a few more people on the ends of the curve.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Originally posted by dr ngo
    FWIW, many of my college history students appear to use the term "novel" as a generic for any extended prose work, including memoirs and travel accounts. I have no idea where this comes from, but there it is ...
    Wha? OK, I'll use the term "skittles" for all athletic endeavors...

Leave a comment:

• dr ngo
    replied
    "Fiction novel"

Leave a comment:

• kling
    replied
    Originally posted by mrbowie
    Fiction novel? Is there any other kind of novel? I must have missed it in school somewhere along the line.

If you've followed the James Frey controversy (he's the guy who fooled Oprah) and read about his next book; well doubling up "fiction" and "novel" might be a good idea these days. The line between genres is getting a little fuzzy.

Leave a comment:

• mrbowie
    replied
    Fiction novel? Is there any other kind of novel? I must have missed it in school somewhere along the line.

Leave a comment:

• stiffdogg
    replied
    On Leuer

That is the same Steve Leuer. He did end up at Wyoming, (for a short time). If you look at the other writing section on the site, there's an article about him that I wrote for Minnesota Running and Track. It tells the whole story.

Leave a comment:

• KevinM
    replied
    Steve,

Congratulations on getting the novel published.

A side note -- I was reading the bio on your web page and recognized Steve Leuer's name as someone I hosted on his recruiting trip to Kansas. He ended up at Wyoming, right?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X