Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My fiction novel about running is being published

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • stiffdogg
    replied
    Much Better

    Great job responding to my call for action. Now, the web hits are drying up a bit as this thing slips down the time scale and I don't intend to post again until closer to the release date. So if you're reading this, log onto www.stephenpaske.com, take a web-poll, enter my contest to win a free signed copy, join the mailing list to be alerted about the book's release, and take a look at the picture of me with the Chilean police. (I live in Bolivia and they pulled eight kilos of a bus I was traveling on.) The polls will be updated weekly, more or less, so keep checking in. I like to change the pictures too.

    Leave a comment:


  • bekeselassie
    replied
    But all novels contain elements of nonfiction. If it's a novel, it's still fiction by definition.

    Leave a comment:


  • lonewolf
    replied
    "fiction novel" is redundant. Or had we already decided that?

    You could have a novel which included non-fiction historical facts and people.

    Leave a comment:


  • bekeselassie
    replied
    Re: Where'd you go?

    Originally posted by stiffdogg
    I thought we were having an arguement about whether the term, "fiction novel," is appropriate? Where'd you all go?
    What wrong? This is how it works. We are all ADD on this board.

    Leave a comment:


  • lonewolf
    replied
    No, the inquirer did not use novel in the sense of an unusual or original idea.. it was just a careless or perhaps unknowing use of the word in that context.

    Leave a comment:


  • Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    One of my too many business ventures is a publishing company. I constantly receive correspondence from people in all facets of publishing, editing, reviews, promotion, etc with unbelievably poor grammar, spelling and organization.
    Today, I received an inquiry re a "pictorial novel", referring to a book currently in preparation, of photographs contrasting side-by-side wealth and poverty worldwide
    Did they mean a novel idea for a picture book?

    Leave a comment:


  • lonewolf
    replied
    One of my too many business ventures is a publishing company. I constantly receive correspondence from people in all facets of publishing, editing, reviews, promotion, etc with unbelievably poor grammar, spelling and organization.

    Today, I received an inquiry re a "pictorial novel", referring to a book currently in preparation, of photographs contrasting side-by-side wealth and poverty worldwide

    Leave a comment:


  • Helen S
    replied
    Re: "Fiction novel"

    Originally posted by bekeselassie
    Originally posted by tafnut
    They ain't getting it from me! Our students seem to have a firm grasp on the difference between fiction and non-fiction genres! Not one of them thinks Da Vinci Code is ANYTHING but fiction, but I read in today's paper that all sorts of people want to boycott, sue, or flat-out damn (in the original meaning) Dan Brown and the makers of the movie!
    Naturally, I see this a lot in the circles I run in. And generally at least the people I know are well-intentioned and have a wide variety of motivations for this behavior. But in the end it comes down to a lack of faith in the other guy knowing fact from fiction. It's simply fear (mingled with a little pride) that others can't discern this for themselves. It is unfortunate, but not all the underlying motives are as much the caricature the media makes it out to be.

    But there are some gifted and handsome teachers and shepherds trying their best to guide these people through it and gain the proper perspective.
    The thing that I find odd is that so many people take selected parts, if not the whole bible, as fact. I think we are comparing much fiction with all fiction, not fact with fiction.

    Leave a comment:


  • bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    For instance, some of the coaches who post on DyeStat couldn’t pass a seventh grade English class, and most of these guys teach academic courses in addition to coaching. Pathetic.
    Or could it be they post in a rush and don't poof reed?
    No – I’ve learned to forgive the occasional typo or two. We are talking basic sentence structure, correct word usage, etc. Considering these coaches are some of the folks teaching our kids, it truly sad.

    Leave a comment:


  • Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    For instance, some of the coaches who post on DyeStat couldn’t pass a seventh grade English class, and most of these guys teach academic courses in addition to coaching. Pathetic.
    Or could it be they post in a rush and don't poof reed?

    Leave a comment:


  • bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by stiffdogg
    I thought we were having an arguement about whether the term, "fiction novel," is appropriate? Where'd you all go?
    Welcome to the forums!

    Originally posted by MJD
    I know I shouldn't react this way but my first reaction is to laugh and not take them seriously. PEOPLE, YOU CAN'T EVEN SPELL!
    This is similar in nature to things I see on the Internet that make me cringe when reading them. For instance, some of the coaches who post on DyeStat couldn’t pass a seventh grade English class, and most of these guys teach academic courses in addition to coaching. Pathetic.

    Leave a comment:


  • MJD
    replied
    I thought my position was clear.

    Leave a comment:


  • stiffdogg
    replied
    Where'd you go?

    I thought we were having an arguement about whether the term, "fiction novel," is appropriate? Where'd you all go?

    Leave a comment:


  • MJD
    replied
    There is a sign that just went up near my cottage:

    CHIPPEWAS OF NAWASH
    * UNCEDED * FIRST NATION
    PUBLIC TRESPASS NOTICE
    THE HOPE BAY SUBDIVISION HAS NOT BEEN
    DESIGNATED FOR LEASING TO NONE BAND MEMBERS.
    THIS IS RESERVE LAND. ENTRANCE BY NONE BAND MEMBERS
    WILL BE CONSIDERED TRESPASSING UNDER THE INDIAN ACT
    & WILL BE SUBJECT TO PROSECUTION

    I have never heard of the NONE band. I know I shouldn't react this way but my first reaction is to laugh and not take them seriously. PEOPLE, YOU CAN'T EVEN SPELL!

    Leave a comment:


  • bekeselassie
    replied
    Re: "Fiction novel"

    Originally posted by tafnut
    They ain't getting it from me! Our students seem to have a firm grasp on the difference between fiction and non-fiction genres! Not one of them thinks Da Vinci Code is ANYTHING but fiction, but I read in today's paper that all sorts of people want to boycott, sue, or flat-out damn (in the original meaning) Dan Brown and the makers of the movie!
    Naturally, I see this a lot in the circles I run in. And generally at least the people I know are well-intentioned and have a wide variety of motivations for this behavior. But in the end it comes down to a lack of faith in the other guy knowing fact from fiction. It's simply fear (mingled with a little pride) that others can't discern this for themselves. It is unfortunate, but not all the underlying motives are as much the caricature the media makes it out to be.

    But there are some gifted and handsome teachers and shepherds trying their best to guide these people through it and gain the proper perspective.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X