Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of Humility -

I just got back from playing Laser Tag for a few hours with 30 boys ranging from the 6th grade to 9th grade. I am in pain! I cut my leg on a branch and lactic acid poured out!

I find myself at that strange age where I think I'm still really young, and so I can be cocky. But then I do something like this and realize these kids can run circles around me. It hurts just to be in a squatting position for very long. Finally, I got lazy and laid down in the woods in the shade and just pretended to be a good sniper.

I'm pathetic. Haile Gebrselassie was born only three days before me, and look at him! I complain about this to my wife and what does she say? "Honey, I don't want an athletic, slim & trim man with abs and pecs. I just want you!"

Re: Definition of Humility -

Originally posted by bekeselassie
    I just got back from playing Laser Tag for a few hours with 30 boys ranging from the 6th grade to 9th grade. I am in pain! I cut my leg on a branch and lactic acid poured out!

I find myself at that strange age where I think I'm still really young, and so I can be cocky. But then I do something like this and realize these kids can run circles around me. It hurts just to be in a squatting position for very long. Finally, I got lazy and laid down in the woods in the shade and just pretended to be a good sniper.

I'm pathetic. Haile Gebrselassie was born only three days before me, and look at him! I complain about this to my wife and what does she say? "Honey, I don't want an athletic, slim & trim man with abs and pecs. I just want you!"
    LOL! You are a future do nothinier. It has just begun. Soon you'll wake up stiff and sore and the only thing you can remember doing is sleeping. Did lactic acid really pour out? Whatt does it look like? I've always thought it was a gold color.
    phsstt!

Comment

Humility? Running a 5-second PB in the 1.600m at the CIF CA State Prelims, then finishing last place in the final the following day (51:st race of the season).

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
        Did lactic acid really pour out? Whatt does it look like? I've always thought it was a gold color.
        It is! Like liquid pumpkin pie!

Comment

While in high school, I was a pretty good basketball player and even walked on briefly at college. Then I went off for 7 years playing pro golf and didn't play much. Came back to medical school, now 30 years old, and went to play hoops one day with a few of the guys - all about 22-23. One guy, Kevin Porter, about my height (5-10) and I "guarded" each other. I put guarded in quotes because I barely could keep up with Kevin, something I know would not have happened when I was younger - he was really nothing special. Went home that day and told my wife, "Guess what, I got old today."

Comment

Originally posted by bekeselassie
            I complain about this to my wife and what does she say? "Honey, I don't want an athletic, slim & trim man with abs and pecs. I just want you!"
            Your wife is funnier than you are!

Comment

No.

She's not.

Comment

Yes.

She is! At least this time!! (tongue sticking out emoticon)

Comment

I am faced with having to get in shape to do a couple of runs in the mountains (9000 ft, near Buena Vista) some weekend soon with my Canuck physiotherapist buddy who's pretty fit and...here's the tough part...his ninth grade son with recent 4:56/10:37/17:00 credentials. Junior's gonna bury me on the trail, then his dad's gonna drink me under the table at their cabin (you know those Canucks). So I guess his dad's gonna win:

Running: 1. Junior 2.Canuck dad 3. DrJay
                  Beer drinking: 1. Canuck dad 2. DrJay 3. Junior (possibly a DNS here for Junior)

Final tally (low score wins): 1st Canuck dad 3 points, 2nd Junior 4 points 3rd DrJay 5 points

Comment

Whatever the outcome, DrJay, it sounds to me like the VISA commercials - you may not win but the experience sounds priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                      but the experience sounds priceless.
                      I was going to write "Kinda like training under Sabu" then realized the irony of the thread being about humility.

Comment

Working...
                      X