Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Year Old Swims to Alcatraz

Would you let your 7 year old son do this?

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glen ... 22-ON.html

There were other people in the water with him, and a Coast Guard vessel shadowing the whole thing. No biggie. (was from Alcatraz to shore by the way)

Comment

Shark: 0-to-kid in 2 seconds.
      Coast Guard: 0-to-kid in 10 seconds.

Don:t like those Coast Guard odds on reaching the kid in time in the event of a shark attack.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        (was from Alcatraz to shore by the way)
        Mu guess is this is a much easier task. Shore Big; Alcatraz Little.

Comment

What young kids go through on a daily basis in organized swimming is probably way worse and they do it every day, 11 months of the year. No wonder so many quit.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle

Don:t like those Coast Guard odds on reaching the kid in time in the event of a shark attack.
            Not that it has never happened, but I have never heard of a shark attack inside SF Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy

Not that it has never happened, but I have never heard of a shark attack inside SF Bay.
              Actually....

http://flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statis ... /mapCA.htm
              If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietmar239

Actually....

http://flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statis ... /mapCA.htm
                Nice find. One every 20 years. Not bad odds. Also, this does not indicate that the attacks took place inside the bay. Much more likely to have shark attacks on the Pacific Ocean side of SF, along Ocean Beach. More sharks, tons more people in the water.

In any event, when I think of swimming in the bay, there are a lot of things that would concern me before I got down the list to sharks.

Comment

Much more likely to have shark attacks on the Pacific Ocean side of SF, along Ocean Beach.
                  I agree much more likely to be Ocean Beach. Stinson beach had a shark attack when I lived in SF a few years ago.

Comment

Learned something new today:
                    1. Prison folklore had it that the waters around Alcatraz were infested by sharks. Some told of a shark named "Bruce" which the Bureau of Prisons had bred with only one fin so that it would swim continually around the island. The sharks off Alcatraz are mostly leopard sharks, which are not man eaters, but four to six foot long scavengers. Those drawn down by the undertow may well have ended up, however, not only as a meal for these small sharks but also for bat rays, crabs, and other local sea life. This may explain why only one body ever floated up back up to the surface.[/*:m:1q1015jz]
                    http://www.notfrisco2.com/alcatraz/faq/faq1.html

Comment

You have to be careful nonetheless. I don't know how many times I've read of people receiving lacerations in two to four feet of water.
                      If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Working...
                      X