Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Hockey Rules--And Other Sports Suck

"There is more action in five minutes of hockey than in your average 90-minute game of soccer, whose fans live for the moment when, by some mischance, the ball strays within 50 yards of the net."

http://tinyurl.com/qptkd

That author obviously missed the final five minutes of ENG-SWE yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
      That author obviously missed the final five minutes of ENG-SWE yesterday.
      The exception that proves the rule, as they say.

Comment

...and missed the last minute of the SWE-PAR game preceding this one. :-) This is beginning to be just like our Swedish language -- more exceptions than there are rules.

Comment

The Beauteous Babs asked me last night, after watching amateur hour at the end of the NBA series, compared to the wonderful dignity that went with the Stanley Cup just the night before, how basketball could be so tacky.

Comment

Speaking of tacky... could the NBA champions have been a bigger collection of misfits who have had their issues in the league, with various managers, and with their own teammates. The beauty of it all.

Comment

I'd pay money to watch Wade play any day of the week.

Comment

From Sportsline: "At the pinnacle, everyone wants to be like Wade"

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                  From Sportsline: "At the pinnacle, everyone wants to be like Wade"
                  And he was touted in today's paper as BETTER than Jordan at his peak?! I don't think so. All season long it was LeBron this and LeBron that, but now Wade is the freakin' GOAT?!

As far as hockey 'action' goes, how long is a line out on the ice? Oh yeah, in soccer it's 45 minutes at a time. No comparison. Soccer midfielders do 6-mile fartleks every game, while exhibiting remarkable ball skills. Hockey is for the fast-food crowd- soccer is for connoisseurs.

Comment

"Mind you, there is one area where hockey falls short: colourful nicknames. There is no hockey equivalent to baseball's "Oil Can" Boyd or "Catfish" Hunter. Hockey nicknames are formed in one of two ways: by dropping the last syllable of the player's name, or by adding -er or -ie (sometimes by a combination of the two).
                    There's a simple reason for this: exhaustion. It's all a hockey player can do to gasp out "go Wayner" or "attaboy, Mess" between shifts. Baseball players, on the other hand, have all the time in the world."

Brian Bellows has a few colourful nicknames. Hide the children before you play the clip.

Comment

I gave up on the NBA after the great Seattle Supersonics of the 70's faded away.
                      DH too. (a huge basketball fan).

We only watch when one of the classiest players in all sports (and YES he is from Victoria) Steve Nash is playing.

Comment

Those Sonics teams were a lot of fun to watch back then. I was ecstatic when they won the NBA Championship in 1979 after losing to Washington in 7 the year before. Seems to me there was a lot more track and field on the tube back then.

edit: Argies vs Dutch game a bit of a yawner but 2nd half of Ivory Coast vs S&M was entertaining.

Comment

So hockey has rules??

No hitting below the belt?

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
                            Those Sonics teams were a lot of fun to watch back then. I was ecstatic when they won the NBA Championship in 1979 after losing to Washington in 7 the year before. .
                            I left for my one and only backpack through Europe trip while the playoffs were on that year.
                            I was dying to know how the Sonics were doing so while in Rome :-) I asked a bunch of Americans tourists for an update- this was pre internet of course-and turns out they were all from Seattle and dying for info too.

Got back to Canada just in time to see them win. Loved Downtown Freddie Brown!

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
                              edit: Argies vs Dutch game a bit of a yawner but 2nd half of Ivory Coast vs S&M was entertaining.
                              Is there an S&M vs B&D game in the offing?

Comment

Working...
                              X