Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By definition, any game where you can lose a player and play short handed for a large part of the game and still not lose(I assume it is difficult to win?) requires some kind of major rethink.

Comment

Re: Why Hockey Rules--And Other Sports Suck

Originally posted by gh
      Originally posted by MJD
      "There is more action in five minutes of hockey than in your average 90-minute game of soccer, whose fans live for the moment when, by some mischance, the ball strays within 50 yards of the net."
      Even one Sepp Blatter is concerned about the lack of scoring
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01590.html

<<"The football isn't that bad, but there aren't enough goals -- and when there are too few goals, the public isn't very enthusiastic," Blatter told the German news agency DPA. "The essence of the game is goals.">>
      Gee, what gave him the clue that there aren't enough goals? Might it be that in the two World Cup semi-final games, in three hours of soccer at the highest international level, not a single goal was scored while the ball was in play in regulation time. One game was scoreless into overtime, and the other was a 1-0 game where the only goal came on a penalty kick. BOR-ING!

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
        By definition, any game where you can lose a player and play short handed for a large part of the game and still not lose(I assume it is difficult to win?) requires some kind of major rethink.
        Makes a big difference with 11 men playing vs 6 in Hockey.
        But no doubt, Hockey is a good, somewhat one dimensional game played NHL style on a ridiculous small rink. Of course Soccer is a vastly more interesting and sophisticated game. There is no room for the Bertuzzis, Tie Domis and Stu Grimsons in Soccer or Wayne Maki for that matter.

Comment

Despite Don Cherry's protestations to the contrary, the European imports have made NHL hockey much better. The best times to watch were when Gretzky & co. had fun on Edmonton's oversized rink. By the way, if soccer hooligans are louder and more violent than the minor-league hockey fans around here, I have no desire to ever meet one.

Comment

Nope-Big Bad Bruins. Orr could control a game better than The Great One.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
              Nope-Big Bad Bruins. Orr could control a game better than The Great One.
              Agree. Bobby God (his actual nickname to the other Bruins) was the greatest there ever was, The Great One included. But then again, did I mention I grew up in Boston during the Orr era?

That era did bring out one of the great bumper stickers of all time

JESUS SAVES. AND ESPO SCORES ON THE REBOUND!

Comment

My grandmother taught the Esposito brothers in the Sault.

Comment

"In that case why isn't soccer popular in large areas of rural America?"

Because rural America doesn't take after British royalty.

Comment

Working...
                  X