• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Op-ed piece from yesterday's NYTimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/opini ... ntributors

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
      Op-ed piece from yesterday's NYTimes.
      Was there ever a more culturally impactful (such a word?) album? I remember that summer mostly in terms of the album. Is Paul still dead?

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
        . . . impactful (such a word?) . . .
        Whatever you say, teach.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          Originally posted by tafnut
          . . . impactful (such a word?) . . .
          Whatever you say, teach.
          I just looked it up at onelook.com, which queries all the on-line dictionaries (there's dozens!) and ONE place had it:
          Webster's New Millenniumâ„¢ Dictionary of English,
          so I WIN!! (not that I wouldn't have claimed victory if there had been none, since I would have just said I coined it and as the Resident TOE, that's entirely my perogative!)

Comment

1960's, AFL/NFL

Fastest players in the AFL were Bo Roberson, the Cornell long jumper, Chief's split end Frank Pitts, and the Oilers' Charley Frazier.

When Jim Brown played, the fastest players in the NFL were 49'er DB and return man Abe Woodson, the Browns' Bobby Mitchell, the Giants' Homer Jones, (Clarence Childs could also motor) and while he was in camp, Frank Budd.

Bob Hayes and Jim Brown only overlapped a season, so I didn't count him. By 1970, Richmond Flowers was a pro, and by '73, Cliff Branch, Mel Gray and Isaac Curtis, of course.

(prior to Brown you'd have to look at an Ollie Matson).

As for things seeming better, one could make the case music has had few innovators who took things in a different direction since Miles, Hendrix and Lennon. Ditto Broadway since Sondheim and Webber, film since Hitch, Kubrick, Welles and Peckinpaugh (Bogdanovich was a flash in the pan, a Houston McTear), t.v. since Luci, Serling, Spelling and Lear, art since Pollack, Liechtenstein, Warhol and Dali. I mean really original. Sure, there have been computer-aided movie geniuses, but "Fantastic Voyage", "2001" and "Star Wars" had special FX.

Ali? Archie Clark? Connie Hawkins? Fosbury? Pete & Charlie Gogolak?

B'way is 80% revivals or movies-turned-plays, and kids on "American Idol" since 1960's and '70's tunes.

BCB

BCB

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
              It was 40 years ago today that the Beatles released Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in the UK. June 2, 1967 was the USA release date.

So I guess technically it was 60 years ago today that Sgt. Pepper taught the band...aw nevermind.

cman
              I remember going shopping in downtown Calgary with my cousin, I was 6 and she was 11, in the summer of '67. She was all in a tizzy over some recorded music on something called an album, from some band called the beetles or grasshoppers or whatever, and I beheld the occasion, in my childish psycho-delic trance, as she selected the precious from the rack, and paid for the Holy Grail.
              Take good care of yourself.

Comment

New York Times guy says forget The Haight, Laurel Canyon is where it was at musically

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  New York Times guy says forget The Haight, Laurel Canyon is where it was at musically
                  The Haight in the 60s was a dirty nasty place till they cleaned it up in the 70s for the turista. The Sentimentalization of Hippies in later years clashes violently with the original reality. Most of the true Hippies I met were just drop-outs, in every sense of the word, right down to hygiene. The 'Love, Peace and Harmony' was there for the most part, but the drugs pretty much screwed up everyone's reality of what was really going on.

Comment

Yes, Laurel Canyon kicks ass musically. The only thing they didnt have is a catchy phrase and hype.
                    phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                    X