Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bad World Cup IMO

Haven't seen the stats, but it has to be the lowest-scoring WC since Italia '90. I'd also guess there were more matches decided by penalty kicks than any WC.

The final was a dog of a match. All the scoring was off of set pieces (assuming a corner kick is a set piece). The PK by France was off a player completely taking a dive. Terrible.

But this is soccer. The game is designed to keep teams even. Anybody can play with anybody. This is why most Americans hate the game. Yes, the athletes are tremendous and skilled. But you have to have more scoring than nil-nil, folks.

The only time a scoreless draw is considered "exciting" is when there is when there is something big at stake, such as a World Cup match. But are the matches themselves actually exciting? Sorry, a nil-nil match is not exciting. Only the prize of advancing in the WC, "most important sporting event in the world," makes it SEEM exciting.

If I had to last one round in the ring with Muhammad Ali for a million bucks and ran around the ring trying to avoid being knocked out, I'm sure my family would think this was exciting -- thinking that they were about to get a million dollars. But would the actual boxing on display be exciting? No. Well, neither are these dog World Cup matches.

The stadiums and organization were good. But the tournament stank. FIFA has got to do something to increase scoring. Maybe allow five yards on offsides. Or even a yard. Now that would change things! And players who fake falls or injuries should be red carded. Someone on the ground pretending to be in pain should be given ten seconds to get up or be ejected. This more than anything is what sickens the American sports fan. You had to love our own American Brian McBride getting up immediately and walking off the field, covered in blood, when his face was cracked open with the Italian player's elbow. That is what American fans want to see. Not a bunch of sissy European players running around in their underpants after the matches, kissing each other. That just doesn't fly over here.

That's it...for now!

Wow, sounds exactly like my rants about those sissy sports of American hand(foothardlyever)ball and base(snoozescratchspit)ball. Not to mention...

Comment

football & baseball

The hits in US football would knock a rugby player unconscious. Rugby players naively like to say that US football is sissy because they wear pads. But because they have pads and helmets, the hits are much harder than in rugby. Plus football players are much faster and stronger than rugby players. No comparison. If we got our top athletes to play rugby instead of football, we'd be world powers just like New Zealand and South Africa.

As for baseball, I don't like it either. But at least the average baseball score is higher (much higher) than the average soccer score. My gosh, the WC was like watching paint dry. And I love soccer! But something must be done!

Comment

Since the object of rugby is to tackle the ball, not the person, it's hard to compare. I don't think the US would be particularly good at rugby, any more than it has been/will be at soccer, unless there is a huge change in society.

I have watched plenty of 0-0 matches that were compelling.

The sissy comment about gridiron ball was more due to the fat tubs o' goo having to stop and rest after every "play"

Comment

BillVol - stick to posting about stuff you know about...

Comment

Re: football & baseball

Originally posted by BillVol
            The hits in US football would knock a rugby player unconscious. Rugby players naively like to say that US football is sissy because they wear pads. But because they have pads and helmets, the hits are much harder than in rugby. Plus football players are much faster and stronger than rugby players. No comparison. If we got our top athletes to play rugby instead of football, we'd be world powers just like New Zealand and South Africa.

As for baseball, I don't like it either. But at least the average baseball score is higher (much higher) than the average soccer score. My gosh, the WC was like watching paint dry. And I love soccer! But something must be done!
            Hits in football are harder because they are allowed. But please, you guys could take your best NFL players, train them for 2-3 years and still get beaten senseless by NZ.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
              If I applied that rule across the Board I guess that would be one solution to server crashes: cut the traffic in half.

Comment

BigMac - my dad (in oz) told me the All Blacks thrashed the Aussies at the weekend and have a new version of the Haka (sp?) which includes a throat cuting element. Is that the case?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  If I applied that rule across the Board I guess that would be one solution to server crashes: cut the traffic in half.
                  More, for sure.

Comment

Amen.

Comment

BigMac - my dad (in oz) told me the All Blacks thrashed the Aussies at the weekend and have a new version of the Haka (sp?) which includes a throat cuting element. Is that the case?
                      Yes its true! Score was 32-12, Aussie new and improved frotn row got so smashed up it was almost like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

I'm putting the new Haka video up in a new thread. It's called Kapa O Panga.

Comment

What part of my post led you to say that? I know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to soccer. I could just hear the ESPN smarty pants guys going crazy when the Italian player took off his shorts and was running around in his underpants. Before someone says it, there was something different about that and Brandi Chastain exposing her sports bra.

As for rugby, I don't know that sport very well. But I have heard many rugby fans and players make the comment that US football players are sissys because they "need pads."

Rugby players ARE very versatile athletes. Some of the most unique athletes in the world due to their strength, speed and skills.

The Haka is AWESOME!

Comment

Bill- I agree completely.

Comment

Re: ...

Originally posted by BillVol
                            What part of my post led you to say that? I know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to soccer
                            Well, I'll start with this utter nonsense of a quote:
                            The only time a scoreless draw is considered "exciting" is when there is when there is something big at stake, such as a World Cup match. But are the matches themselves actually exciting? Sorry, a nil-nil match is not exciting. Only the prize of advancing in the WC, "most important sporting event in the world," makes it SEEM exciting.

Yes, there were more penalty shoot outs than any previous tournament, but 94 and 98 had the unlamented "golden goal" rule, so there would have been more.

And as for "You had to love our own American Brian McBride getting up immediately and walking off the field, covered in blood, when his face was cracked open with the Italian player's elbow. That is what American fans want to see. Not a bunch of sissy European players running around in their underpants after the matches, kissing each other. That just doesn't fly over here" - well, admirable as McBride - who plays in England, home of sissy Euro tarts - was, I hope I speak for most Europeans when I say we don't give a toss what flies over there football-wise.

I think you know jack sh*t about football, and you prove it by whining about low scoring games. That's the game. Don't like it? Don't watch it.

Edit - IMHO, Billvol, nothing personal - came across badly again, apologies. I admire your track knowledge immensely, but:

I was in Germany for a week, went to games. It was a blast, and I met thousands from all over the world who agreed.

I've attended over 3000 games in 22 countries in 38 years, plus far too many TV games. In short, I think I know my stuff better than you, and will gladly take on anyone in any football debate anytime.

If that sounds like bragging, it is....!

Comment

response

I really don't know much about track. I know more than the average guy, but probably less than any poster on here. But I love the sport and follow it.

Anyhow, I appreciate your response. The atmosphere around the WC is hard to beat. I grew up with football, too. Lived in Santiago, Chile for two years as a kid. Colo Colo, Universidad de Chile "La U," Union Espanola, Universidad Catolica -- those were the first "pro" teams I was ever aware of. Not the Yankees or Celtics or Cowboys.

I played in the dirt fields all day. I think I know the game. But I'm removed enough from the "diehards" to look at the game objectively. My dad lives in Milan and has been to a bunch of matches, too. I'm basically echoing what he has said to me. None of my posts are original! ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X