Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup stadiums

Some interesting facts about the WC stadiums. Many of them were quite small -- in the 30,000 to 40,000 range. I think Berlin was the only one over 50,000. Contrast that to USA '94 stadiums. I believe the smallest was Washington RFK Stadium (around 50,000?).

Also, the only stadium that was in the old East Germany was Leipzig. That stadium was a new construction for the WC.

When Berlin was divided, was the Olympic Stadium in the West or East part of the city?

Well?

It appears Olympic Stadium Berlin was in the West.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Stadium%2C_Berlin

Note how all the stadiums in Germany have the seating completely covered. A complaint about USA '94 was that our stadiums do not have covered seating.

Comment

Re: World Cup stadiums

Originally posted by BillVol
      Some interesting facts about the WC stadiums. Many of them were quite small -- in the 30,000 to 40,000 range. I think Berlin was the only one over 50,000. Contrast that to USA '94 stadiums. I believe the smallest was Washington RFK Stadium (around 50,000?).

Also, the only stadium that was in the old East Germany was Leipzig. That stadium was a new construction for the WC.

When Berlin was divided, was the Olympic Stadium in the West or East part of the city?
      Berlin, Munich and Dortmund are all well over 50 000 - think Dortmund holds nearly 70 000. Can't remember if they played any games there, but I think Hamburg holds over 50 000 too.

Comment

stadia

Are those capacities for actual fan seating (not including media)?

Comment

Berlin: "After three years of hard labour, in 1936, the Olympiastadion was opened to the public with a total capacity of 100 000 and a seating capacity of 65 000."

München: FC Bayern München, Capacity: 69.901 Seats: 66.000

Dortmund: Borussia Dortmund, Capacity: 81.264 Seats: 53.675

Comment

stadia

I was basing what I had written on a WC insert in some USA Today national magazine. That's where I got the figures.

EP or JP, is there a website that has final statistics and attendance figures from the WC?

Comment

Re: stadia

I was basing what I had written on a WC insert in some USA Today national magazine. That's where I got the figures.

EP or JP, is there a website that has final statistics and attendance figures from the WC?
              http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/2006/wc06index.html

Click on the scores for every detail you could wish for!

Comment

Thanks

JP, thanks. That is a great website. They didn't mention the number of PKs though.

Do you think soccer keeps up with stats and numbers the way track and baseball do? Any possible statistic in baseball is available online somewhere. I mean anything. Same for track.

Thanks again.

Comment

Re: Thanks

JP, thanks. That is a great website. They didn't mention the number of PKs though.

Do you think soccer keeps up with stats and numbers the way track and baseball do? Any possible statistic in baseball is available online somewhere. I mean anything. Same for track.

Thanks again.
                  NP. In my experience, football/soccer stats lie way behind track and baseball, certainly as far as individual players are concerned.Bit better for team stats. This one is as good as any for Brit football:
                  http://www.soccerbase.com/

For player stats, I tend to go to each club's website - usually find most appearances/goals in a season etc. there, and on some of the unofficial fan websites too.

BTW, the penalty shoot-out stats are on the planetworldcup site - just click on the scores in parentheses, e.g., here's the Germany - Argentina game:
                  http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/2006 ... v_arg.html

Edited for sp.

Comment

I'm not sure the soccer fans care about the stats to the same degree. Goals scored, appearances, win and loss records are about all anyone used to track. I had never heard of an assist until i came to the US. I notice that Jays web site mentioned them. Have assists become a recognised statistic in world soccer?

If it was like baseball, the goals would be broken down into variations such as in off the left foot, right foot or head. Scored on counter attack vs regular attack. Scored from set piece (corner, throw-in, free kick or goal kick). I could go on and on, by the way, I love the baseball stats but I'm not sure it would work so well in soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy

I'm not sure the soccer fans care about the stats to the same degree. Goals scored, appearances, win and loss records are about all anyone used to track. I had never heard of an assist until i came to the US. I notice that Jays web site mentioned them. Have assists become a recognised statistic in world soccer?
                      Certainly seen "assists" mentioned more and more over the last couple of seasons - even the BBC's site use the term during their live updates, but not when they give the results.

I think Opta are semi-responsible - they give match stats such as successful passing %age, tackles made, etc. In fact, they claim to have stats on evey players every touch Can't say I care for it myself as a fan, but a lot of coaches use it. There's no central database I can find, but most clubs and footie sites are googleable. Example:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid ... mien+chase

Comment

soccer stats

Well maybe that's what I'll do instead of my sandwich shop or magazine: A Bill James type of book devoted to soccer stats. For the Euros here, Bill James is a baseball guy who put out a book with every stat you can imagine.

Now think if you had such a book for soccer, the most popular sport in the world! It would sell millions! You could publish it in ten languages or more.

Thanks for the idea, but I'm sorry I will not be sharing my millions with anybody! :wink:

Comment

Re: soccer stats

Well maybe that's what I'll do instead of my sandwich shop or magazine: A Bill James type of book devoted to soccer stats. For the Euros here, Bill James is a baseball guy who put out a book with every state you can imagine.

Now think if you had such a book for soccer, the most popular sport in the world! It would sell millions! You could publish it in ten languages or more.

Thanks for the idea, but I'm sorry I will not be sharing my millions with anybody! :wink:
                          Certainly there appears to be a hole in the market for you Bill.

Comment

Count me in!

Where do we start....

Comment

maracana during the 1950 world cup contained 250,000...

it's since been downsized to about 150,000....

Comment

Working...
                              X