Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess we were just lucky; my kid could walk, run and cross-country ski well enough to keep up with his parents from a very young age, and he usually managed to behave himself without being leashed up. Now that he's a young adult sometimes I think the leash wouldn't be such a bad idea, though!

Comment

I have a 20 month old and an almost 3 year old and I would never need to leash them. Besides, I'm so paranoid and borderline obsessive compulsize that one of them would hang themselves somehow. They are generally well behaved in public, but they are permanently leashed to my hand. In my mind you don't need the leash you just need more attentive parents. My kids also do well at the movie theatre. It's so funny to see people move when my wife and I sit down because they figure they won't enjoy the show. It invariably happens that some of the same people remark at how quiet they were after the show.
      If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Good deal, Dietmar... it always seemed to me that people who leash up their children are just admitting that they either have no idea how to deal with their kids or have no interest in doing so. Based on my experiences, I'd rather take my chances with a kid on the loose than get within reach of a leashed one. Hand in hand and paying attention to your kids is always better.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
          Hand in hand and paying attention to your kids is always better.
          That's what i do. Plus it teaches them responsability (you can't hold on for every second). A leash sends the message, i don't trust you, although that is probably not intended. Consequently, they have no reason to gain that trust in the first place.

Re: the movies. Don't your kids find the volume too loud?

Comment

Just to clarify, I would prefer no leash either if the parent(s) is/are in control.

Comment

there are MANY ADULTS i'd like to see on a leash. don't get me started...

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                Hand in hand and paying attention to your kids is always better.
                That's what i do. Plus it teaches them responsability (you can't hold on for every second). A leash sends the message, i don't trust you, although that is probably not intended. Consequently, they have no reason to gain that trust in the first place.

Re: the movies. Don't your kids find the volume too loud?
                Well, we are teaching them sign language since my wife and I are both interpreters

No, they seem to be ok with the volume. Of course, that is always something to keep in mind.
                If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietmar239
                  No, they seem to be ok with the volume. Of course, that is always something to keep in mind.
                  Of course it depends on the movie. We went once but had to leave pretty quick. Same with fireworks on the 4th. I even warned him it would be loud. One firework was all it took. Live and learn.

Comment

My daugters are now grown but never ever would I have leashed them!
                    If you as a parent are in tune with how your child is feeling and doing then you don't need a rope to control them.

We always carried books, crayons, paper and snacks. We also knew the signs to look for of boredom and fatigue. So many parenting issues can be avoided by being sensitive to your children and their needs and using empathy mixed with good old common sense.

One hour shopping max-and then off to a playground or park for a good romp. So many people are so self absorbed they really don't look at things from a child's point of view. :-(

Comment

jhc68 - they are very common at the beach in SoCal. People even roller blade while pushing their kids in them. A few years ago I was walking on the boardwalk in Newport Beach. There were hardly any people about and I heard something approaching behind me; I turned and saw a man and his wife roller blading at a high rate of knots pushing the kids. As I turned the guy went over a cable and completely lost control, he was coming straight at me while in the process of falling over. The buggy thing was tipping over on one wheel and I dived back and grabbed it before it before the kid came flying out. I ended up on my back in a bush hanging onto the buggy. It was totally irresponsible behaviour by the guy (showing off really). He gathered himself, mumbled "thanks", and then carried on somewhat slower.

Comment

I think you're mixed up with a scene from The Untouchables, Mark.

Comment

Yeah, Mark, I have seen those guys, too, and always hold my breath expecting the sort of crash you intervened in... thing is, lots of times the adult skaters were a helmet while the little kids they are pushing in front of them don't!!!

Parents would be well advised to consult us here on this board about how to rear their kids :-)

Comment

Parents would be well advised to consult us here on this board about how to rear their kids :-)
                            A new forum!!!

i can seen it now, "Parenting skills, Q&A".

GH can kick it off with how to keep the children happy on a message board.

Comment

Working...
                            X