Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of business would you start?

If you were going to go into business for yourself, what type of business would you start?

I'm thinking about doing a sandwich shop or a community magazine. Doing food service scares me -- hours, all the regulations, etc. The hard part about the magazine will be selling the ads.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ive always thought a good breakfast place cant miss.
    phsstt!

Comment

I just want to say one word to you --- just one word. Plastics. There's a great future in plastics. Will you think about it?

Comment

One very simple piece of advice: Do what you KNOW.

Plenty of people become franchisees for McDonalds and the like thinking if they can just scare up the franchise fee they're on easy street, with absolutely no experience in the restaurant business. They then find out it's not as easy as that.

I worked in a small foot orthotic laboratory for 10 years and learned ALL the ins and outs of the business. Started my own lab in 1999 and been very successful, primarily because I worked in that small business environment and learned EVERYTHING, primarily what mistakes HE made that I should avoid.

Basic advice: If you have no experience in a given business field, do yourself a favor and go work in a small operation in that field of endeavour and learn everything you can.
        There are no strings on me

Comment

thanks

guru, thanks. I've heard that a lot. The magazine would be a franchise. I've worked with them some and they have training.

Sandwich would be start-up completely on my own.

I'm leaning toward the magazine. It is a great concept and the start-up costs are low. Training is very thorough.

-------

stallion, what specifically are you talking about as far as plastics. You've got my interest now! Can I make a quick, easy buck this way???

Comment

You could best address this question to GH & Co., but in my opinion, anyone who starts a magazine today looking to make money is, well, foolish. Printing and distribution costs are astronomical, not to mention this world-wide-net thingy

Lawn care... that's steady work.

Comment

I would create the biggest pole vault website out there and it would have a message board, and pictures, and information on places to pole vault, and elite athletes and coaches would participate as well as your average high school kid.

Oh wait, I already did that.

Comment

Originally posted by stallion
                I just want to say one word to you --- just one word. Plastics. There's a great future in plastics. Will you think about it?

Shh! Enough said.

Comment

more

gm, my magazine would be distributed (mailed) for free. There are a lot of them up and running in Atlanta.

Landscapers in Atlanta do huge business. Everything is landscaped so nicely around here.

polevault, what is your website url? I trust there is a lot of good Tennessee stuff there???

Comment

Re: more

Originally posted by BillVol
                    gm, my magazine would be distributed (mailed) for free. There are a lot of them up and running in Atlanta.
                    Then you or somebody who works for you better be verrrry good at selling advertising. That's what it would come down to.

In general, though, this is not a good time to be in the print industry.

Comment

more

gh, forgot to mention...I'll be doing this in Tennessee (city cannot be disclosed at this time). But in this city, there is nothing like it. But even in Atlanta, this publication (relatively new) does very well.

Comment

If I had the relevant investment expertise and skill, and thought I could hire someone who could be a good salesperson and raise the needed capital, I'd start a hedge fund. I'd do the same if I had the sales skill in the investment field and thought I could hire someone with the investment expertise needed to manage serious money reasonably well.

Comment

A rib joint. I've been smoking ribs and making sauces and rubs for about 10 years. I just lack the funding.
                          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

"One very simple piece of advice: Do what you KNOW."

Yeah, but how much money can I make as a steeplechase announcer on the GL circuit?

Comment

Re: What type of business would you start?

Originally posted by BillVol
                              If you were going to go into business for yourself, what type of business would you start?

I'm thinking about doing a sandwich shop or a community magazine. Doing food service scares me -- hours, all the regulations, etc. The hard part about the magazine will be selling the ads.

Any advice would be appreciated.
                              I've had my own biz since I was 22 and all I can say is...make sure you love (I mean really LOVE) what you are going to be doing because the hours are going to be long and you are guaranteed to be thinking every time you walk into a McDonald's that the poor schlep putting the cheese on the Big Macs is making more per hour than you are.

Also, hire a good bookkeeper and accountant. They're pros...you're an amateur. )

cman

Comment

Working...
                              X