Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turned 25 Years Old...

Yawn...

But MTV seems to have reached a couple generations of young people on a level unmatched or unrivaled in television history.

I usually call these kids the MTV-generation, but with that usually comes words like lazy, careless and unmotivated. Unfair?

Re: Turned 25 Years Old...

Originally posted by EPelle
    Yawn...

But MTV seems to have reached a couple generations of young people on a level unmatched or unrivaled in television history.

I usually call these kids the MTV-generation, but with that usually comes words like lazy, careless and unmotivated. Unfair?
    You forgot chubby and narcissistic.
    phsstt!

Comment

I was reading my newspaper's time-line of MTV and was amazed to realize how quickly MTV dropped those first VJ's and moved away from just showing videos. I watched it a lot (well, it would be on in the background) from 82-86, but then lost interest when they moved away from the All-music format. I want(ed) my MTV! Live-Aid was kinda the culmination of that era, like Woodstock was the peak of the Hippie Era.

Comment

Had it not been for MTV, I:d never know what a pimped ride was...

Comment

Im a sucker for expressionless woman in black mini skirts playing guitar to Addicted to love.
          phsstt!

Comment

What is the best music video ever shown on MTV? Our MTV-Europe is not the same as the network in the USA.

Comment

I liked the clay-mation on Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer.
              phsstt!

Comment

I'm not sure why (some deep-rooted Freudian thing, I guess), but Tom Petty (and the Heartbreakers) did one called "Don't Come Around Here No More" with a psychedelic Alice In Wonderland motif. Others were The Eurhymics' "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" and Peter Gabriel's "Shock The Monkey" (which I found much superior to "Sledgehammer"). Actually, that whole genre of 80s music videos far surpasses the stuff today (IMO).

Comment

As with earlier posters, I watched MTV a bit in the'80s. Mostly to be able to talk to the kids about the current bands. Some I liked, most not. I guess my favorite video was for one of Blondie's songs (not really the song, just the video). When they dropped the video format, I stopped watching, sporadic as it was. I certainly was not in their target demographic.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                    Im a sucker for expressionless woman in black mini skirts playing guitar to Addicted to love.
                    Just watched that video at tinyurl.com/pyagp(AOL's MTV Anniversary page). It's one of my favorite karaoke songs. I loved watching MTV Europe whenever the opportunity arose.

Comment

Haven't see MTV in maybe 15 years: it's awful. But the early 80's weren't bad and VH's Hot for Teacher was a particular favorite.

Comment

What is the best music video ever shown on MTV? Our MTV-Europe is not the same as the network in the USA.
                        Here in the USA, it was Michael Jackson's "Thriller" for several years. Then, in the mid-to-late 90's, it was Nirvana's "It smells like teen spirit." I used to wacth "The Real World" and "Road Rules," when it was just those reality T.V. shows. Now, MTV and reality shows are pathetic. At least M2 plays music videos.

Comment

MTV Europe (at least our Swedish feed) plays videos, but kids text messages to each other flash at the bottom of the videos. Meet the Barkers is some show on here with a tatooed guy, a wife and a kid.

Comment

Re: Turned 25 Years Old...

Yawn...

I'm only 24...

But I don't watch MTV. I don't even watch TV anymore, at least not until Grey's Anatomy has new episodes this fall.

Comment

Good on you, Becca :-)

That:s what I get for making sweeping generalisations! My attitude toward that "MTV generation" is driven by those who spend time doing nothing, and expect everything (they are in abundance here in SE).

Comment

Working...
                              X