Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link These Names, Question 2

OK, here's a long (59 entries) collection of trivial names that you need to ID. I'll do one at a time. You're looking for the common denominator. But to make it a little tougher, for many of them I'm going to leave out what I consider to be a dead giveaway. To get credit, you also have to fill in the blank(s).

And, sigh, I hate to say this, but this is a classic old guessing game, not a who-can-google-it-fastest exercise. If you don't know, sit and enjoy the unfolding. Please.

Question 2
    [ ], [ ], Rehoboam, Methuselah, Salmanazar, Balthazar, Nebuchadnezzar

Re: Link These Names, Question 2

Oops. Didn't read the rules! Post deleted! :-o

Comment

Hmmm, waaalll, Question 2 all sound pretty biblical.

Comment

anybody else getting thirsty?

Comment

I don't think it's close enough to get a "credit", let alone I have no idea what the brackets might mean, so here goes.

Rehoboam - a king of Israel 2or 3 generations past David
          Methuselah - descent from Adam 6-8 generations, lived over 900 years
          Salmanazar - never heard
          Balthazar - one of the wise men (kings by some translation) visiting infant Jesus
          Nebuchadnezzar - a king of Babylon about 600 BCE, sacked Israel and Judea, created the first Hebrew diaspora
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

You can find all your citations, plus Salmanazar, in the Old Testament. Indeed, also the second [ ], but the Bible ain't it.

Comment

Even this non-drinker knows this has something to do with sizes of wine bottles, yes?

Comment

So what are the other two sizes? (one of them is another OT reference)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  So what are the other two sizes? (one of them is another OT reference)
                  Jeez - aren't you impressed I knew that much?! I have no idea - I just recognized some of the names as being champagne or wine-related, and figured the rest were too.

Comment

Since Brian ahead of you said "anybody getting thirsty?" the answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Since Brian ahead of you said "anybody getting thirsty?" the answer is no.
                      Thirsty to me has NOTHING to do with alcohol, so for this teetotaler to get as far as I did is SIMPLY AMAZING!!!

Comment

magnum, jeraboam (sp?)

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                          magnum, jeraboam (sp?)
                          Those are dead giveaways???

Comment

Jeroboam is correct spelling.... and now for the final-final part of the question, since it still isn't quite right.... what kind of wine?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Jeroboam is correct spelling.... and now for the final-final part of the question, since it still isn't quite right.... what kind of wine?
                              well, now I've got a 50-50 shot. Even I know there's only two kinds, red or white. I'll go white.

Comment

Working...
                              X