Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Card Market Goes Belly Up

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... KF3211.DTL

How many of us hard-core track fans (particularly those with a statistical bent) started by collecting baseball cards? (Not for "investment" purposes like these poor shlubs)

Hands up for everyone who kept theirs neatly sorted in a shoe box and their moms threw them out when they went off to college . . . 52, 53, 54 . . . yeah, that's what I thought. Bonus points if your sweet comic book collection went at the same time.

Comment

Somewhere along the way my brother got all mine, and then sometime later I got them back. During the late ‘80s I started buying box sets of Topps and Upper Deck, and went and bought the boxed sets back to 1980. I would have gone further, but I was going to have to pay a premium for the 1979 year because it had Rickey Henderson’s rookie card (a whiney braggart local player I had zero respect for). Stopped buying them sometime in the ‘90s when the card companies stopped putting out boxed sets for some period of time.

Still have them all, including the McGwire card that the photo caption says was worth $8,000 at one point and the Bonds card that topped out at $2,500. I do have a series of Mickey Mantles that have held their value. I’ll hold them all until at least I retire and have the time to get around and figure out how to sell them. In any event it was not a money loser – they were real inexpensive in boxed sets.

Comment

Am I the only person here who has never owned, or knowingly seen, a baseball card?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          Am I the only person here who has never owned, or knowingly seen, a baseball card?
          mojo hasn't.

Comment

Wait a minute.... you have been to every county courthouse in America (or something like that), yet you expect us to believe you have never even SEEN a baseball card?

Comment

Hold on thar, Garo.

They're talking about a segment of collector market which was bound to hit the skids. "Limited Editions" of 300,000 from the past 20 years were hoarded by speculators and are now worthless. Even the previously collectable 1989 Billy Ripken F*ck Face card is worth nothing right now.

The Mickey Mantle rookie card and the rare Honus Wagner card are still worth loads of cash. I don't own any and lonewolf...I think you are the only person who has never owned or knowingly seen a baseball card.

cman

Comment

Re: Baseball Card Market Goes Belly Up

Originally posted by gh
                http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/08/10/MNG42KF3211.DTL

How many of us hard-core track fans (particularly those with a statistical bent) started by collecting baseball cards? (Not for "investment" purposes like these poor shlubs)
                And how many tried to win additional cards from a friend by flipping them to the ground or pitching them against a wall?

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                  Originally posted by lonewolf
                  mojo hasn't.
                  I haven't seen a real one and i've even been to baseball games. Do the kids swap them in the schools or is it all about box sets and storing them in the cupboard?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Murphy
                    Originally posted by gh
                    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/08/10/MNG42KF3211.DTL

And how many tried to win additional cards from a friend by flipping them to the ground or pitching them against a wall?
                    And who put the dupes on their bicycle spokes to get the cool motorcycle sound as they rode? Oh yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                      And who put the dupes on their bicycle spokes to get the cool motorcycle sound as they rode? Oh yeah!

I used all the duplicates for that kind of stuff.
                      still got all my 57-58-59 cards. Pretty much complete sets but not mint quality. Got to them before Mom did. Lost all comics though.

Comment

Originally posted by countryclubber
                        I used all the duplicates for that kind of stuff.
                        still got all my 57-58-59 cards. Pretty much complete sets but not mint quality. Got to them before Mom did. Lost all comics though.
                        We were separated at birth, bro!

Comment

Originally posted by countryclubber
                          Lost all comics though.
                          Bummer, bummer. You don't want to know how much they're worth.

Comment

Believe it or not, my little sister (40 yo attorney) has mine, mostly 1970 to 1974, a few '68 and '69, also NBA and NFL cards. She named her cat Tucker after Tucker Fredrickson from my football card in about 1974.

Comment

My mother said I could spend all of my allowance I wanted (I think it was 50-cents a week at that point) on baseball cards; the only caveat was that I had to chew every stick of gum that came with them. I can still taste Topps lo these many years down the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X