Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link These Names, Question 5

OK, here's a long (59 entries) collection of trivial names that you need to ID. I'll do one at a time. You're looking for the common denominator. But to make it a little tougher, for many of them I'm going to leave out what I consider to be a dead giveaway. To get credit, you also have to fill in the blank(s).

And, sigh, I hate to say this, but this is a classic old guessing game, not a who-can-google-it-fastest exercise. If you don't know, sit and enjoy the unfolding. Please.

Aldebaran, Altair, Antares, []

Re: Link These Names, Question 5

Originally posted by gh
    OK, here's a long (59 entries) collection of trivial names that you need to ID. I'll do one at a time. You're looking for the common denominator. But to make it a little tougher, for many of them I'm going to leave out what I consider to be a dead giveaway. To get credit, you also have to fill in the blank(s).

And, sigh, I hate to say this, but this is a classic old guessing game, not a who-can-google-it-fastest exercise. If you don't know, sit and enjoy the unfolding. Please.

Aldebaran, Altair, Antares, []
    I think they are Arabic stellar constellations. Can't complete the blank, though.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Complete stab in the dark (ha!): Arcturus?

As past of my Naval training, I had to learn to (and I got very good at it) navigate by the stars with a sextant (long before GPS). Arcturus popped right into my head after I read the others, but I'm not sure why, except they are all primary navigation stars.

Comment

The answer is never another in the sequence; it has to be something that links them all. But no, primary stars, much as they may be, is not the answer.

Comment

I can see I need to drop a clue on this one. This is a very obscure clue though. Think National Rifle Association.

Comment

Charleton Heston's pet dogs - the missing one is 'Moses'!

Comment

OK, in your response is a piece of the puzzle. Next clue: a Civil War General

Comment

OK, my film expert tells me Ben Hur (a Charlton Heston flick) was originally written by Lew Wallace, a CW general. Still don't know what that has to do with the sequence of names above. Perhaps I should rent the film and watch it...

Comment

gm, you're getting sooooo warm! But I'm about to get on the pointy thing to Beijing, so I guess nobody gets the answer confirmed by me for 15-odd hours.

Another clue in passing.... remember the fish (not to be confused with "so long, and thanks for all the fish")

Comment

Bon Voyage - and we have no frickin idea what the answer is. I'll google it tomorrow. (and no, I won't tell). Enjoy the flight with the new mrs. and don't let airport security get you all "Jay-ed" out.

Comment

I googled. I feel guitly now cause I think I know the answer.

Comment

better guilty than perpetually perplexed...
                        ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

OK, does Circus Maximus help?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            OK, does Circus Maximus help?
                            I gave up and googled. Oh . . . my . . . goodness; that's an insane trivia question and answer!

If someone KNOWS this, they have my admiration for the knowledge, but also my consternation that they would admit to knowing it.

If someone guesses it . . . no, they googled it . . . no one could guess it.

Comment

My dinner companion tonite guessed with less than half the clues.

Comment

Working...
                              X