Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What liquid explosives could they use?

Amid the news chatter today, I never heard anything more specific than "explosives made from a mixture of liquids." While I reckon a liter of gasoline applied in the right area might start a fire that could cripple or bring down a jet, anyone with a chemistry or demolitions background know what liquid concoctions, say in the one to four liter range, might simply blow an airliner to bits as advertised? As an aside, if it's true, isn't it amazing that we have to get to the threshold of such a disaster before the morons in charge say, "Hey, two liters of X mixed with 100 cc of Y could take out a 747, so lets ban carryon liquids"? Pretty soon we'll all be flying in nothing but our Fruit of the Looms.

Jagermeister?

On a serious note, I'm one of the stranded - tried to leave Heathrow yesterday, gave up after 3 hours, and managed to find an hotel room. It was CHAOS.

Scary times, and, from chatter heard everywhere, Brit muslims are not gonna have an easy time now. What a wonderful age we live in...

Comment

I wouldn't think it would really take too much explosive power. All you need is something that can breach the hull of the airplane and you're going to leave everyone in bad shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Peterman
        Jagermeister?

On a serious note, I'm one of the stranded - tried to leave Heathrow yesterday, gave up after 3 hours, and managed to find an hotel room. It was CHAOS.

Scary times, and, from chatter heard everywhere, Brit muslims are not gonna have an easy time now. What a wonderful age we live in...
        Jay: So sorry to hear that. I flew yesterday, but only domestically...but it was still a royal pain in the butt. I really can't imagine what a complete mess Heathrow must have been.

Comment

What explosives could bring down a seven four seven?

Well if i wanted to do it i would simply do this-

Picture if you will Garry Hill sitting next to Tafnut in first class. Now why add the final ingredient that will cause a horrible explosion, BOOZE! Thats right, free drinks and keep em coming. KA-BOOM!!
          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            Picture if you will Garry Hill sitting next to Tafnut in first class. Now why add the final ingredient that will cause a horrible explosion, BOOZE! Thats right, free drinks and keep em coming. KA-BOOM!!
            I don't like my position in this tete-a-tete. I'm sipping on a ginger ale.

I prefer to think that once gh sits down, he will fall prey to my pixilating charm, and won't even need to imbibe. :-)

Comment

Jagermeister?

You are making it here to Gbg, though?

Comment

A prime candidate for this would be triacetone triperoxide (TATP), the explosive used by the July 7 bombers. Its two raw ingredients are liquids that could be carried on board in containers such as bottles of soft drink. A small detonator could be hidden in an iPod or mobile phone, drawing power from its battery.
                - London Times

Comment

Denver Post today:

http://origin.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_4165251

Just mix acetone and hydrogen peroxide. I think I'll try a small drop of each today. Just in case, it's been nice knowing you guys.

Comment

This plot has echoes of Project Bojinka:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oplan_Boji ... mbing_plot

Comment

I remember the Aloha Airlines flight from 1988. They lost part of the fuselage during flight...and still managed to land safely....wow!

Comment

Originally posted by TrakFan
                        I remember the Aloha Airlines flight from 1988. They lost part of the fuselage during flight...and still managed to land safely....wow!
                        I believe, though I'm too lazy to go research it right now, that the Aloha plane was just hopping between islands, so only at 12,000-15,000 feet when the roof blew off. There's a very significant difference in the atmospheric conditions between 15K and 30K. I'm pretty confident that if it had happened at 30K+, there'd have been no survivors.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                          A prime candidate for this would be triacetone triperoxide (TATP), the explosive used by the July 7 bombers. Its two raw ingredients are liquids that could be carried on board in containers such as bottles of soft drink. A small detonator could be hidden in an iPod or mobile phone, drawing power from its battery.
                          - London Times
                          To tie this in with the current "favorite movies" thread ...

Did anybody see "Maria Full of Grace"? Seems to me like you could get C4, Semtex, whatever you want aboard a plane that way.

Comment

. . . from chatter heard everywhere, Brit muslims are not gonna have an easy time now . . .
                            When it comes to airports & planes, that will be true pretty much anywhere in the west. Also of non-Muslims who look (to western eyes) vaguely Muslim. I do not think this should come as any surprise to them.

Comment

Working...
                            X