Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so how are business people supposed to travel?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so how are business people supposed to travel?

No computer carry ons???

Lots of serious travelers NEED laptops at their destinations.

Now they need to be packed in the check-in bags, but you can't lock those bags anymore (those travel locks that supposedly can only be opened by TSA personel are a joke!)

So nevermind that many folks travel with highly confidential business data (I guess it could all be encrypted), but what about the value of the hard and software. I have a friend who routinely travels with a CD used for solving micro-wave engineering problems that is licensed out at $50,000 per copy... it's encrypted so it would be unusable to a thief but it costs freakin 50K to replace. So is he supposed to put it in an unlocked bag as he makes a connection in, say, Miami where the luggage handlers have robbed people (including me!) blind even after 9/11?

Are airlines going to be financially responsible for electronic devices that are crushed while being manhandled in cargo bays? There are entire industries that will be immediately bankrupted: in Houston I noticed DVD rental stores providing videos to be viewed with laptops during flights. And what about attorneys who use laptops to work on cases in flight? They'll lose all those billing hours!!!!! C'est la vie.

On a certain level the terrorists have already won.

I am so glad that I rarely fly. This past April I took my first flight since 9/11. In a rush of plane flights I took a round trip in June. One round trip scheduled for 2007, one to Europe in 2010. That’s it. Good thing I love to drive . . .

Comment

Re: so how are business people supposed to travel?

Originally posted by jhc68
      Now they need to be packed in the check-in bags, but you can't lock those bags anymore (those travel locks that supposedly can only be opened by TSA personel are a joke!)
      Sheesh, I don't trust the TSA guys to go through my bags either. No accountability. I've had things go missing from my suitcase before. I'm certainly not bringing my new MacBook on any trips in the near future.

In theory, if you pack well and align items parallel with the scanning beam, they won't be able to make out the shape. But that doesn't work too well with laptops.

Comment

According the the TSA website - www.tsa.gov - at least for now, on US flights (domestic and international departures, including to the UK), carry-ons are still allowed, including electronic devices (computers, ipods, etc.). The main changes made by TSA are the banning of liquids and having all shoes going through the x-ray scanner, I think the ban on carry-ons is for British airports.

Comment

Originally posted by mt
          I think the ban on carry-ons is for British airports.
          Yeah, but what if you want to bring your laptop home?

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
            On a certain level the terrorists have already won.

I am so glad that I rarely fly. This past April I took my first flight since 9/11. In a rush of plane flights I took a round trip in June. One round trip scheduled for 2007, one to Europe in 2010. That’s it. Good thing I love to drive . . .
            You are right about the terrorist winning, hammy.

I don't mind driving either and have over 3 million miles on my posterior to prove it. Howsomever, two weeks ago, I had occasion to fly to Seattle and drive home to Oklahoma solo.
            Air fare, one way: $150. Gasoline for return trip( 2200 miles in two days) at 18.2 mpg :$ 363.

Comment

Working...
            X