Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MJD
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    If all the smart asses around here were to leave for the day, it will be very quiet around here. Personally I prefer the smart asses to the curmudgeons, but that is probably because the smart asses have more fun . . .
    Bunch of the smart-asses did once but you mustn't have got the memo.
    Being completely ignorant of pop culture I'm still not sure what is supposed to be inthe brackets. Are they all Gibb or were there three others? And who are the Bees Knees anyway?

Comment

In 1979, a hard rock Toronto station that I had to stop listening to because they fulfilled their CRTC Cancon quota by JUST playing Rush(still do-107.10 if there are any Toronto types out there), held their nose and said that the soundtrack to SNF had to be the album of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        Your predilection for screwing with trivia threads is innapropriate at any time.
        Man, you really know how to hold a grudge - it's only been about two years since I 'cheated' (mostly because I failed to realize that the object was to 'guess', not 'know') I have been on my best behavior ever since.

I realize that yesterday's news most grievously affects YOU. Your job requires an abiding (and increasing) interest in T&F and right now, T&F (particularly USA T&F, which is the main thrust of your magazine) is on a precarious slide into oblivion. This hits you right in the pocketbook. I actually thought about that yesterday. I thought about you. My despair is emotional - yours is financial as well. T&FN has been my favorite magazine since March 1970, and as much as you may not want to hear this, I have tremendous respect for all the great things you (and your staff) have done for T&F. It's why I haunt this place (and torment you). I'm sorry I push your buttons, but it YOU who created the monster.

Anyway, you're on your honeymoon, you're in China watching the next generation hot the stage, life is good. Don't let the tafnut get you down. He's on your side. He means well. He's that dinner guest who hangs around too long cuz he's really enjoying the party and doesn't want it to end just yet. In a quiet homage to you, and as a small token of my esteem (overlooking your occasional crabbiness for the time being) for your contributions, I am signing off for 12 hours! This has nothing to do with the fact that I'm going out tonight and plan on sleeping in tomorrow. How's THAT for a noble gesture?

Comment

E. Garry - we all appreciate what you do. Every month, on that day when T&F News arrives in my mailbox, its a good day, because I'm going to relax and read it that night - no matter how rotten the day may have been to that point.

Keep up the good work, hang in there, enjoy your honeymoon, and don't let the bastards get you down.

Comment

Ditto- And in this changing world of chaos i cant tell you how comforting it is that GH and Tafnut are still feuding. Everything is right with the world. Goodnite all.............
            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
              I realize that yesterday's news most grievously affects YOU. Your job requires an abiding (and increasing) interest in T&F and right now, T&F (particularly USA T&F, which is the main thrust of your magazine) is on a precarious slide into oblivion. This hits you right in the pocketbook. I actually thought about that yesterday. I thought about you. My despair is emotional - yours is financial as well. T&FN has been my favorite magazine since March 1970, and as much as you may not want to hear this, I have tremendous respect for all the great things you (and your staff) have done for T&F. It's why I haunt this place (and torment you). I'm sorry I push your buttons, but it YOU who created the monster.

Anyway, you're on your honeymoon, you're in China watching the next generation hot the stage, life is good. Don't let the tafnut get you down. He's on your side. He means well. He's that dinner guest who hangs around too long cuz he's really enjoying the party and doesn't want it to end just yet. In a quiet homage to you, and as a small token of my esteem (overlooking your occasional crabbiness for the time being) for your contributions, I am signing off for 12 hours! This has nothing to do with the fact that I'm going out tonight and plan on sleeping in tomorrow. How's THAT for a noble gesture?
              Your concern for my state of mind is commendable, but I'm compelled to point out two things, since your analysis missed the mark completley.

1. I'm not at all distressed by the Marion news (which I gave about 30 seconds thought and then moved on to other things). Indeed, I think it's probably a cause for rejoicing, as she has been an albatross around the sport's neck for far too long, eating up too much of our resources.

2. I'm not on my honeymoon.

My "you picked the wrong day" related to other things, and I felt that I should give a heads up to those who insist on poking hornet's nest with a stick every time they walk by.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                1. I'm not at all distressed by the Marion news (which I gave about 30 seconds thought and then moved on to other things). Indeed, I think it's probably a cause for rejoicing, as she has been an albatross around the sport's neck for far too long, eating up too much of our resources.
                Well, I guess that's a 'healthy' outlook to have. I am a little surprised you didn't think her bust would further erode the American public's support of track. You don't think some people will get fed up and not subscribe anymore?

Originally posted by gh
                My "you picked the wrong day" related to other things, and I felt that I should give a heads up to those who insist on poking hornet's nest with a stick every time they walk by.
                I think that's kinda what message boards are for (poking sticks at hornet's nests). If we didn't care, we wouldn't comment. We do, so we do.

You are uniquely positioned in our sport and anything you'd have to say on the current situation would be enlightening. I understand why you might be reticent, but certainly you have some G-rated thoughts to share.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Originally posted by tafnut

Apparently, the albatross remains. I'm sure Marion will appreciate your characterization the next meet you're announcing in the infield after she wins a race, perhaps the trials in '08, and you try to interview her. I know what I would say to you. Can't print it here.
                  There are no strings on me

Comment

Very few athletes have the vaguest clue who I am when I interview them in those situations. I go out of my way to have them feel at ease by feeling they're just talking with some random dude rather than giving a "formal interview" to the magazine.

I also go out of my way not to engage them in any particularl conversation other than the IV itself, so as to keep their responses as extemporaneous as possible. Makes for a lot better theater.

Comment

Working...
                    X