Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use voice recognition systems to dictate?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use voice recognition systems to dictate?

We got a demo of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.0 this week and are thinking of trying it in our practice, maybe with just one of us as the guinea pig. Each of the docs in our group spends about $8000/year on transcription, but if using a voice program slows us down only a minute or two per patient, twenty times a day, the savings would be lost. Anyone out there have experience with this, medical or otherwise? The demo looked good. The guy had me train it with my voice with about five minutes of reading, then it did a pretty good job when I read an office note into it and made up another as I went.

Jay - we have used them with older versions of Dragon. Several of our docs still use them. I use our EMR. They have worked fairly well. We also heard last week that the newest version of Dragon was a big improvement. It will be the way to go eventually, I think, probably combined with some voice-recognition form of EMR.

Comment

Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this.

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.

Comment

Open the bathroom door Hal...........Open the bathroom door .........

Im afraid i cant do that Dave...... You are sporting the Wiz-a-nator Dave. ...That is not your penis Dave........ That is not your urine Dave.

Open the bathroom door Hal.............

Dave, your actions have jepordized the mission, and i must tell you Dave the wiz-a-nator does nothin for you.

Hal, i will have to shut you down. Im shutting you down Hal.

I can feel it Dave, I can feel it. But thats still not your penis Dave. I can feel it. I can feel it..............
        phsstt!

Comment

Re: Anyone use voice recognition systems to dictate?

Originally posted by DrJay
          We got a demo of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.0 this week and are thinking of trying it in our practice, maybe with just one of us as the guinea pig. Each of the docs in our group spends about $8000/year on transcription, but if using a voice program slows us down only a minute or two per patient, twenty times a day, the savings would be lost. Anyone out there have experience with this, medical or otherwise? The demo looked good. The guy had me train it with my voice with about five minutes of reading, then it did a pretty good job when I read an office note into it and made up another as I went.
          My experience: It's a piece of crap.

The attorney I office with tried the same system (albeit an older version) several years ago. No matter how much time he spent trying to "train" it, it only worked about half the time. Even when it works, it requires a LOT of editing.

The funny thing was that hours of working with it, he'd get frustrated and shout "F#$K!" when it messed up a lot...and it always got that word right.

Just my opinion, but pay your transcriptionist like I do. Part of the cost of doing business. I certainly would not take a chance on all the errors getting created in medical records that this thing has the potential to cause, especially given the time to edit them back out and risk of not catching them all.

I don't know a single lawyer or doctor that uses these things.

Comment

Do it the HMO way - make the patient take his/her own notes, then charge them double for doing so

Comment

My wife and I play a little game, identifying voices (spokespersons) on tv commercials. We think we are pretty good at it? One of us is usually able to identify 90%(?) of the voices. Race to see who gets it first.

Comment

Working...
              X