X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by paulthefan
    I lost hope when Bobby Darren said goodbye to Sandra Dee.

Beyond the Sea
    Somewhere waiting for me,
    My lover stand and golden sands,
    and watches the ships go sailing.
    I am afraid you have James Darren (The Time Tunnel) and Bobby Darin mixed up.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    Thanks Garry. Dylan is talking about the technical quality of the recordings, not the artists. He's saying you can't hear the little tweaks, like guitar strings, multiple instruments, and harmonizing voices.
    This is why there is still a demand for phonograph records, as some music lovers feel there is a much richer sound from plastic.

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    I lost hope when Bobby Darren said goodbye to Sandra Dee.

Beyond the Sea
    Somewhere waiting for me,
    My lover stand and golden sands,
    and watches the ships go sailing.

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Oh man if only that was true, the only thing wrong with todays pop music is production values?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Read the original again: he's not trashing anybody who's creating music. He's trashing the recording industry for bad technological standards.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Anyone around to day as good as Dylan, Beatles, Elvis, Beachboys, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, ect .
    squack, I'd really, really like to agree with you, but . . . do you remember that our parents' generation weren't impressed with 'our' music? And today's generation, while agreeing that 'our' music is 'cool', much prefer their own. My father, who was VERY much into music, used to lament the fact that the high standards of the Swing Era had fallen so low by the 60s and 70s. I think 'our' music will stand the test of time, but so will much of today's, and it will probably NEVER measure up to that hip sound of those cool cats of the 1700s: Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, etc. I listen to a group like Outkast today and I have to admit they have as much going on as 'my' groups. On the other hand, NO ONE will ever convince me that the Beatles and Stones and Led Zep are NOT musical geniuses. Elvis was 'just' another Frank Sinatra, and the Beach Boys only had a late brief surge to the top of the critical ladder. Dylan and Springsteen were better spokesmen of their generations than musicians. Pink Floyd was definitely inventive, but so are many groups today.

As they say, only time will tell . . .

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    ... .to sage's credit at least he didnt criticize anyone's singing voice.

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Anyone around to day as good as Dylan, Beatles, Elvis, Beachboys, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect e............................

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    And of course the music people of the early 60's said Dylan couldn't sing (well, OK, he can't, but you see what I'm getting at). I hear songs quite frequently I like. I posted a link to Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy". You can't tell me that's not a VERY GOOD song!

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Dylan aslo declares the world is round.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    started a topic Dylan Says Modern Music Is Atrocious

Dylan Says Modern Music Is Atrocious

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/music ... 01?cid=525
Working...
X