Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian
    Familiarity breeds contempt.
    I’m getting more familiar with you, and you are correct.

. . . they don't own the board, they are guests like everyone else, gh an exception.
    No kidding?

. . . the greater the chance of losing perspective that T&FN, and ONLY T&FN owns the board and guests cannot simply say or do anything they like.
    I don’t believe any top poster has lost that perspective, and I believe they do appreciate it when the mods consistently apply the boards rules when editing posts/threads.

According to letsrun, the top poster has well over 1,000 posts to this site.
    I could use this opportunity to take a gratuitous swipe at people who believe everything they read on Letsrun or the Internet in general. The current numbers for the top 20 posters are:

tafnut 18010
    gh 13484
    MJD 10663
    EPelle 10566
    Eldrick 5829
    Jon 5775
    SQUACKEE 4279
    Daisy 4157
    bad hammy 3677
    kuha 3483
    Pego 3215
    marknhj 3188
    Powell 2960
    tandfman 2730
    guru 2555
    mojo 2467
    paulthefan 2194
    trackstar 1972
    dukehjsteve 1852
    26mi235 1851

That same poster--famous for being one of the "first responders"--just got banned. Coincidence?
    gh may say otherwise, but I’d say no. gh felt that tafnut and Zap0tek stepped over the line and acted accordingly. He did not just wake up and say ‘I feel like banning the top poster today. Oh, and I’ll take out Zap too just to disguise my true motive.'

That's my point.
    Your point is obtuse, and your reasoning does not apply here.

Now it's time for MJD--second highest according to letsrun; struck a nerve, did I?--or someone else to write in taking issue with me on a sidetrack of what is an "inordinate amount of time."
    Once again, your Letsrun info is a bit off. MJD: any wise words of wisdom about what is an "inordinate amount of time?”

Comment

Catch me up here, please... how long is the "banishment sentence" for tafnut and Zatopek ?

BTW tafnut is getting seriously insulted over on a letsrun thread.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
        Catch me up here, please... how long is the "banishment sentence" for tafnut and Zatopek ?

BTW tafnut is getting seriously insulted over on a letsrun thread.
        Yes, and by the posters that seem to appreciate that board. That board has probably 10 times the number of posts as here but not only is there less information, it is a little harder to find it (the OT, Things Not T&F, and Drugs are all intermixed).

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
          gh, you:re quick with the trigger finger there.

Why are you so completely silent on a plague which has apparently been killing this sport for 4-5 decades? Or, perhaps the answer lies in the question.
          I would imagine gh prefers to avoid the risk of getting sued. TFN actually has a bit to lose, and they are responsible, to a certain extent, for anything posted on here. Letsrun.com isn't worth enough to make it worth paying lawyers to go after them, so they can get away with a lot more, and they actually do delete stuff on there to stay away from trouble. They'd be less likely to get sued for a variety of other reasons as well.

This message board has grown big enough that it is very difficult for one person to maintain. I bet gh reads every single post on here most of the time. How stressful!

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
            Catch me up here, please... how long is the "banishment sentence" for tafnut and Zatopek ?...
            The original note said "enjoy a long weekend." Zat and I exchanged e-mail yesterday and he was reinstated last night. Tafnut, as noted in the Dragila thread, was reinstated with the posting of that topic.

Comment

Oh, the irony! MJD answered back in 6 minutes, and gets slammed by this guy 5 minutes later for having nothing better to do! He-ha![/quote; kuha]

Ever occur to you that I was still at the computer? Quite a bit different than checking in a zillion times a day. Use your head.

And yes, I am checking back a lot this weekend. I have two questions on the Brussels meet on other threads that I hope others can answer plus I'm checking to see which of the usual morons will try to nitpick what I've written here and go off-topic.

MJD, how do you know what I do concerning the sport? Maybe I don't write in a lot BECAUSE I'm too busy doing things for the sport. But don't let what you don't know stop you from having a firm opinion...(cranial/rectal syndrome).

Ah, bad hammy doing the pathetic "take each sentence and rip it apart" tactic. BTW, the "familiarity breeds contempt" quote was put in just to see who would be pathetic enough to grab for the "gimmie." Congratulations.

So...if all of you disagree with me on this idea of heavy posting breeding a sense of false ownership sometimes leading to trouble, then how about someone explaining just why the true owners of this website cannot ask for ONE day free of negativism so they can enjoy the positive energy of the Brussels meet without at least two people claiming they have the right to deny them that one day?

Any takers? Or just more "trash this guy" stuff?

Comment

Ah, borrowed computers.
                Second one final draft.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                  Oh, the irony! MJD answered back in 6 minutes, and gets slammed by this guy 5 minutes later for having nothing better to do! He-ha!
                  Ever occur to you that I was still at the computer? Quite a bit different than checking in a zillion times a day. Use your head.

And yes, I am checking back a lot this weekend. I have two questions on the Brussels meet on other threads that I hope others can answer plus I'm checking to see which of the usual morons will try to nitpick what I've written here and go off-topic.

MJD, how do you know what I do concerning the sport? Maybe I don't write in a lot BECAUSE I'm too busy doing things for the sport. But don't let what you don't know stop you from having a firm opinion...(cranial/rectal syndrome).

Ah, bad hammy doing the pathetic "take each sentence and rip it apart" tactic. BTW, the "familiarity breeds contempt" quote was put in just to see who would be pathetic enough to grab for the "gimmie." Congratulations.

So...if all of you disagree with me on this idea of heavy posting breeding a sense of false ownership sometimes leading to trouble, then how about someone explaining just why the true owners of this website cannot ask for ONE day free of negativism so they can enjoy the positive energy of the Brussels meet without at least two people claiming they have the right to deny them that one day?

Any takers? Or just more "trash this guy" stuff?
                  This last line is one of the most ironically humorous reads I've seen in a while. I gotta say, sounds like you know your trash talk . . .

Comment

An honest question, Bad Hammy, What do you get out of this?

Comment

then how about someone explaining just why the true owners of this website cannot ask for ONE day free of negativism so they can enjoy the positive energy of the Brussels meet without at least two people claiming they have the right to deny them that one day?
                      the dope board coud probably take a long vacation on grounds of quality

this is the best board on athletics by far

the non-dope forums contain in the majority, insightful, knowledgeable, stimulating posts

the dope forum on the other hand, has so much rubbish included that there's probably only 1 in 3 or 4 posts ratio comparable to above

on quality control grounds, you coud justify sending the dope-forum on a long vacaion

Comment

thanks eldy
                        why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

MJD, how do you know what I do concerning the sport? Maybe I don't write in a lot BECAUSE I'm too busy doing things for the sport. But don't let what you don't know stop you from having a firm opinion...

I said "likely"-that is not a firm opinion but I would be happy to hear all about what you do for the sport. You're the one that implied tafnut had no life. Still waiting for that list of posters and examples of their offending posts and then a comparative analysis of said posts to the posts of those that you consider good posters. Broad sweeping statements don't cut it-sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW
                            Posting on these boards? Pure pleasure . . .

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                              Originally posted by EPelle
                              gh, you:re quick with the trigger finger there.

Why are you so completely silent on a plague which has apparently been killing this sport for 4-5 decades? Or, perhaps the answer lies in the question.
                              I would imagine gh prefers to avoid the risk of getting sued. TFN actually has a bit to lose, and they are responsible, to a certain extent, for anything posted on here. Letsrun.com isn't worth enough to make it worth paying lawyers to go after them, so they can get away with a lot more, and they actually do delete stuff on there to stay away from trouble. They'd be less likely to get sued for a variety of other reasons as well. ...
                              Good point, Becca (a voice of reason, as always) ... however, I considered that prior to posting.

Perhaps I should have asked him if he could acknowledge that there appears to be a problem, and the measures apparently being taken by those in charge can have a long-lasting, positive effect on the sport?

He wouldn:t have had to divulge anything more than, yes, I believe the reactions to those apparent transgressions of the athlete code are equal, and I believe those actions are reasonable, necessary, and can invoke the desired effect.

If he disagrees, he could state that he believes these actions are (foot)noteworthy, but much more work needs to be done on this front.

His re-opening of the Dope Board infers by default that discussion on the topic is warranted, and one can read between the lines on what position he may take on this issue (that the problem is not apparent, but very real, and that the measures being taken are too few and have come too late in the game).

But I don:t want to speak for gh.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW
                                What does DaveW - or Brian, for that matter - get out of this?

Your points are obvious: people discuss much on this site.

And?

Do you know me? Anything about me other than that, I, over a few years time, have posted messages about most things track, some things field, delved into the historical section, have a passion for drugs discussion, and, once-in-a-while, like to get people to talk about things not at all related to this sport? Have any clue what I do in the day? How much I do outside of this message board?

Can you report on, in understandable english, how any one person - other than gh or bhall - through their actions on this site has demonstrated any sense of ownership of this message board?

I fail to understand your points - not because I am blind to your accusations or am unable to comprehend what you are stating, but because I don:t understand #"¤%%, the language you are speaking. In fact, is seems very few do.

As far as "ownership" is concerned:

There is, in my opinion, only one occurance of "ownership" on the boards: when posters "own" up to the content of their posts - some of which may distinctly and sharply differ from others.

This is not to be confused with a feeling of someone "owning" a topic.

I would have stopped posting shortly after the first time I had a disagreement with tafnut; MJD; eldrick (!); kuha; guru (!); Jon; Bad Hammy (!); Pego, etc. if, I had confused "ownership" of the logic and quality of my post with the "feeling" of them "owning" some right to run me underground by having solid, differing opinions on a subject which they were debating with me.

My aggregate post total may have never reached 20 had I not understood the distinction between the two.

I encourage you to open yourself up to the other possibilities you are not naming as to why people are here, and how often they may or may not post.

Comment

Working...
                                X