Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link These Names, Question 15

You get the full list on this one, along with the clue that you'd think I'd have gotten it but didn't have the vaguest.

Clue 2 is that i believe that one of the answers is a bit wrong! (Hey, I said I was presenting these as they were given to me)

chesterbed, chippy, chuck, goaler, silly-sider

I'm going to guess that they're terms for "moves" in the sport of Curling!

Comment

Field positions in Cricket!!

Comment

I believe the first clue is supposed to be chesterfield, not chesterbed

Comment

Re: Link These Names, Question 15

A chesterfield is a kind of coat. A chippy is a loose women in the Roaring 20s. A silly-sider is a left-hander. A goaler is presumably someone who scores for team. Right track?

Comment

A chesterfield is a couch.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
              A chesterfield is a kind of coat. A chippy is a loose women in the Roaring 20s. A silly-sider is a left-hander. A goaler is presumably someone who scores for team. Right track?
              Providing definitions does nothing to link the terms (and I have no idea what a goaler or chuck refer to in the context of the question).

A chippy was a hooker at least as far back as the late 19th century (see McCabe & Mrs. Miller)

Comment

The correct answer MUST have something to do with the fact that these terms are a part of a certain kind of jargon (like a sport's terms). They may or may not be terms that we use different words for, like chippy=prostitute. They may be the ONLY words that describe the particular Thing that's being referenced (like a particular postion in that sport).

I still think are some arcane sport's terms, but they could relate to a certain kind of job or hobby or a specific place or a subset of slang (like Londoners' rhyming slang). SOMEBODY uses these terms on a semi-regular basis and unless you are privy to that particular 'group', they are meaningless. I haven't a clue.

Comment

A goaler is presumably someone who scores for team.
                  To the contrary, I think I've heard goaler used as a synonym for goalie, but I don't recall where or in which sport.

Comment

The correct answer MUST have something to do with the fact that these terms are a part of a certain kind of jargon.
                    They are Canadian jargon.

chesterfield - couch, sofa
                    chippy - aggressive, questionable play.
                    chuck - throw. Huck is another word for throw in Canader
                    goaler - goalie...but I think it could also mean a jail warden.
                    silly-sider - southpaw, left-hander

Another Canadianism...skookum. Not sure if gaunche is exclusively Canuckian.

edit: chesterbed is a pull-out bed/sofa.

Comment

chuck=throw is equally an Americanism; don't think that's the definition that was part of the question. I found a different--and obscure--Canadianistic use.

Comment

chuck=throw up?

Comment

nope, that's USAnian too

(silly joke of the '80s: did you hear that Prince Charles and his wife have decided to call their first kid Up? That way they can be up-chuck and die.)

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
                            They are Canadian jargon.
                            That was the f'real answer??!! Where was mojo and MJD on these?

Comment

When I was a Calgary resident in the 60s, "Chesterfield" was a generic name for any sofa or couch, kinda like "Kleenex"

Comment

Working...
                              X