Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    Noted Austin, TX, country-punk musician, Joe Ely had an off Broadway play, Chippy or Songs for Chippy, a couple of years ago.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Any other Canadians wanna take a shot at an obscure definition of chuck?

If you want to know the answer ahead of time, it's found here

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=791931

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    When I was a Calgary resident in the 60s, "Chesterfield" was a generic name for any sofa or couch, kinda like "Kleenex"

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by cullman
    They are Canadian jargon.
    That was the f'real answer??!! Where was mojo and MJD on these?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    nope, that's USAnian too

(silly joke of the '80s: did you hear that Prince Charles and his wife have decided to call their first kid Up? That way they can be up-chuck and die.)

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    chuck=throw up?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    chuck=throw is equally an Americanism; don't think that's the definition that was part of the question. I found a different--and obscure--Canadianistic use.

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    The correct answer MUST have something to do with the fact that these terms are a part of a certain kind of jargon.
    They are Canadian jargon.

chesterfield - couch, sofa
    chippy - aggressive, questionable play.
    chuck - throw. Huck is another word for throw in Canader
    goaler - goalie...but I think it could also mean a jail warden.
    silly-sider - southpaw, left-hander

Another Canadianism...skookum. Not sure if gaunche is exclusively Canuckian.

edit: chesterbed is a pull-out bed/sofa.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Re: Link These Names, Question 15

A goaler is presumably someone who scores for team.
    To the contrary, I think I've heard goaler used as a synonym for goalie, but I don't recall where or in which sport.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    The correct answer MUST have something to do with the fact that these terms are a part of a certain kind of jargon (like a sport's terms). They may or may not be terms that we use different words for, like chippy=prostitute. They may be the ONLY words that describe the particular Thing that's being referenced (like a particular postion in that sport).

I still think are some arcane sport's terms, but they could relate to a certain kind of job or hobby or a specific place or a subset of slang (like Londoners' rhyming slang). SOMEBODY uses these terms on a semi-regular basis and unless you are privy to that particular 'group', they are meaningless. I haven't a clue.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

A chesterfield is a kind of coat. A chippy is a loose women in the Roaring 20s. A silly-sider is a left-hander. A goaler is presumably someone who scores for team. Right track?
    Providing definitions does nothing to link the terms (and I have no idea what a goaler or chuck refer to in the context of the question).

A chippy was a hooker at least as far back as the late 19th century (see McCabe & Mrs. Miller)

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied
    A chesterfield is a couch.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

A chesterfield is a kind of coat. A chippy is a loose women in the Roaring 20s. A silly-sider is a left-hander. A goaler is presumably someone who scores for team. Right track?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I believe the first clue is supposed to be chesterfield, not chesterbed

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Field positions in Cricket!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X