Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Chiropracty work ?

some advice please :

i've played to much golf recently ( down driving range nearly every day ) & about 2/52 ago i buggered my back with one of my awesome 150 yard drives

i've ended up with sciatica, almost certain slipped disc, leg pain & some foot numbness

i self-diagnosed sciatica & tried to just take it easy & hope it woud settle

unfortunately i'm popping about 20 pills/day & nothing's happening

it's pointless going to my doc, as he'll just refer me for physio , which has a 3/12 waiting list in UK

so i'm considering going to a chiropracter for treatment

has anyone ever been to one for low back pain,slipped disc, sciatica ?

did it help ?

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discus ... php?t=3971

Maybe a couple of those guys can weigh back in on the topic.

Comment

that was very useful pel

pego seems to think it doesn't do anything, so i might avoid it for a while

i hope pego & bambam can kindly post here & perhaps suggest some exercises :

i have minimal lumbar pain, have L buttock pain, very bad L hamstring pain, no real calf pain, constant numbness on lateral border of foot ( plantar & dorsum ) for 2/52 - so some impingement of common peroneal nerve

pain relieved by tramadol+paracetamol+ibuprofen

i cannot sit in a chair for more than 3 minutes before my L lower limb becomes numb & i have to get up & walk it off

any advice is appreciated ( as stated before, in UK it's a waste of time going to a gp unless you have cauda equina symptoms, so i'm looking for self-help/exercises )

my main concern is time it is likely to take to resolve with conservative Rx

Comment

eldrick, I've found that these symptoms can sometimes derive purely from muscular problems. It goes something like, golf swing overstretches muscles, muscles go into protective spasm, spasm overwhelms antagonists(usually abs) creating less stability in spine, gait and other movements change to accommodate pain thus overloading more muscles, the last two combine in a feedback loop which generates spreading spasm through the musculature, spasm cycle becomes impossible to break.

If you can find a good massage therapist or physio, they should be able to break the spasm cycle and help you increase flexibility and retrain/strengthen the abs and other supporting muscles. Of course, this assumes that you have ruled out a real spinal issue through medical imaging, although this type of work won't make it any worse which chiropractic treatment could.

BTW, regarding the other thread, all professions have excessive pride leading to bad practice, which is why some chiropractors still believe in the subluxation theory and standard medicos need the Cochrane collaboration.

Comment

I feel for you Eldy. As you probably know from my post on the subject I LOVE GOLF! But my back cant handle being turned ito a pretzel ever time i swing, not to mention with a short backswing and leaving my weight on my back foot, (because im not transfering my weight ) i often hit behind the ball, driving all of what little power i have into the ground. OUCH!

I have had back problems my whole life. When i was younger i could golf and even shot a 89 on a flat wide open course with a couple of mulligans and a little cheating. " What, play it where it lays? Its in some assholes divot, i'll just prop it nice on this grass over here...ect. ect."

A chiro may or may not help you, none of us know. I dont think even the harshest critic would say they never helped anybody with anything.

Are you icing it constantly. Ice baby ice. If you lay on your back and slowly and gently pull your knees up together to your chest it might take some of the pressure off that area and help to get things back in line or it will do nothin. Cant hurt. Stretching, ice, rest and this exercise i would suggest. The chiro? God i dont know, is there a great arguement for not even trying it? Pego?
          phsstt!

Comment

Does chiropracty work? Yes. So do placebos. But I'd rather get 'real' medicine. No offense to chiropracters or people who have been helped by them. Acupuncture 'works' too.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
              Does chiropracty work? Yes. So do placebos. But I'd rather get 'real' medicine. No offense to chiropracters or people who have been helped by them. Acupuncture 'works' too.
              Mrs. tandfman had acupuncture last year and it significantly reduced pain that her GP and neurologist could do nothing about.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                I am open to being wrong but i can tell i was "out " before a race and made an emergency app. with my chiro the mornin of the race and he fixed it. I dont know what he did but it was NOT my imagination. Im a huge skeptic at heart.
                phsstt!

Comment

From personal experience, at least one of them is definitely a non-quack. About five years ago I woke up with a pain in the upper-middle of my back. After ignoring it as best as possible for a few weeks I sought medical attention. Basically my doctor said take Advil. This did not help. Pain stayed for months.

Finally my sister (a nurse practitioner) and mrs. hammy (a chiro junky) convinced me to give it a try. Went to mrs. hammy’s chiro, a practitioner from the quintessential herky jerky chiro school. Hated it. Made me very nervous having some guy snapping my neck and back around. Didn’t solve or reduce the problem.

Then the sister convinced me to try her chiro, a practitioner of the ‘give my back a nice warm massage while she figures out how far out of whack my vertebrae (or whatever) was, and then use a little tapper tool to put it back in place’ chiro school. Great experience, and it worked! For about a year or so the vert would slip back into its painful mode every once in a while, and I’d return for another adjustment. Haven’t had to visit for years, but would not hesitate in the least if something came up.

Comment

Here is another vote for finding a good massage therapist. ALthough there are often others that can be key. Since you know the athletic people, they often have contacts. This type of massage therapy is not getting a good back rub, it is an often uncomfortable, occassionally very painful process when it involves deep tissue massage.

I have used two people here in Madison that have both been used by the IOC (or some related organization) at the Winter Games in 2002 and both offered similar positions for 2004 but declined.

My own story was that I had rotated the right side of my pelvus (probably while shoveling wet snow). Over a period of 5 weeks or so I have minor problems/symptoms which were partially treatable. After XC skiing in wet snow then running my daughter on running stroller 10+k things really started to "freeze up". It was almost intollerable; the first night I slept ZERO seconds, the next three eventually an hour at a time. The massage therapist worked on the muscles enough to be able to straighten much of the way. Then a physical therapist looked me over for about 30 minutes before confirming his initial hunch of pelvus rotation. A series of contractions pushing out with the knees against constraint, followed by one inward moved the pelvus into the appropriate orientation. As soon as the orientation was obtained, the never-related sensations shifted/dimiinished dramatically, although all of the 'knotted up' muscles still had to be dealt with. Unfortunately, the long duration over which the pelvus was out meant that it continually was slipping out.

Thereafter the message therapist worked on the muscles and getting muscle balance back.

Sevarl morals: the Doctor's could not do much, the various physiotherapists were knowledgeable and useful; the message therapist was the first key because until the work overcoming the muscle contraction (knotting etc) the rest was not very easily diagnosed. Even though the symptoms seemed to involve the back, in fact the issue was not the back at all (during recovery I would sit in my chair in the office for 8 hours straight which not only did not create a problem but I was best at the end of those 8 hours -- I even scooted around in the chair all day).

One poster made a good comment that I will rephrase. When your tool is a hammer, you view all the problems from the perspective of how you can use that hammer. Doctors, message therapist, chiros, accupuncture etc each have different hammers; in addition, some have good hammers and know how to use them and some do not. You have to match the tools and the problem and do so using the good hammers/hammerers.

Comment

Re: Does Chiropracty work ?

Originally posted by eldrick
                      i'm popping about 20 pills/day
                      That explains a lot...

Comment

I just came online. There is no point to repeat my comments about chiropractic and other "alternative medicine", as I commonly end up with a bloody lip.
                        Eldrick, could you consider a few days of basically an absolute bedrest, getting up only to go to the bathroom and eat? Twice a day sit in a tub with water as hot as you can comfortably stand 30-45 minutes at the time and anti-inflammatory (therapeutic dose divided in 4 daily doses through 24 hour period - I won't insult you with a suggestion of what kind of the anti-inflammatory). Stay away from the narcotic analgesics, they can be counterproductive.
                        Report again in 3-4 days. Between TV and reading, you may not die of boredom :-).
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                          Between TV and reading, you may not die of boredom :-).
                          Shame there are no majors left this year. eldrick, rest will be better than chiro. I had a friend who did chiro and swore by it, although, they were ALWAYS going back. Strange kind of medicine that just seems to work for a short while. Just long enough for a trip to the ATM machine!

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                            Originally posted by Pego
                            Between TV and reading, you may not die of boredom :-).
                            Shame there are no majors left this year. eldrick, rest will be better than chiro. I had a friend who did chiro and swore by it, although, they were ALWAYS going back. Strange kind of medicine that just seems to work for a short while. Just long enough for a trip to the ATM machine!
                            It CAN work for the long run too. I haven't had a visit in years. And I am not suggesting that chiro work would definitely help Eldy's problem - his symptoms are not what mine were. I just know it worked on me.

Comment

Yeah, im not even saying in believe in chiro, i only related what MY experience was. It was real.
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X