Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    A good chiropractor, massage theraphist, athletic trainer can give you immidiate relief from your problem.
    Long term, you need to balance out your body. (Golf is a one-sided, repetetive activity). Randy Myers, Sea Island, GA Golf School, originated many golf specific stretches and strengthening routines. He used to work for the PGA School in south Florida, and developed exercise programs for many of the touring pros. Used to be golfer just golfed. Now many, (not John Daly!) train.

Leave a comment:

• stiffdogg
    replied
    No. It does not work.

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    you should see a dr.. at least he will give you some more certainty about what you did to yourself... no doubt that twisting (as in a golf swing) is very bad for the middle aged back.. discs are not to be under pressure AND twisted.. very naughty....

I would guess that you need some serious rest for an extended period. things should get better and that gives you more time to figure out the MDs diagnosis

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    many thanks to everyone for their advice

i'm going to give it another 2/52 on the analgesia & try some modest exercise

this is the first time in my life i've experienced chronic severe pain & disability & it certainly has been an eye-opener !

i'll be a lot more sympathetic in the future to patient's with such problems, instead of just dismissing them with a quick prescription

i've learnt a painful lesson...

Leave a comment:

• thunderthighs
    replied
    ask yourself, iam a injured, or out of WACK. WACK he can "help" but injury
    takes time.

ciao

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    I can say that I met a friend of a friend that was a dr of osteopathy at a holiday dinner..... we were discussing some kind of treatment for some well known illness.... If you have time and $$ to burn you should definitely have an Osteopath look at you every now and then, especially if you are bored... They sound really really weird... I did learn enough to know that he makes millions in the business by having more than a handful of very very wealthy clients..

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Yeah, im not even saying in believe in chiro, i only related what MY experience was. It was real.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by Pego
    Between TV and reading, you may not die of boredom :-).
    Shame there are no majors left this year. eldrick, rest will be better than chiro. I had a friend who did chiro and swore by it, although, they were ALWAYS going back. Strange kind of medicine that just seems to work for a short while. Just long enough for a trip to the ATM machine!
    It CAN work for the long run too. I haven't had a visit in years. And I am not suggesting that chiro work would definitely help Eldy's problem - his symptoms are not what mine were. I just know it worked on me.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    Between TV and reading, you may not die of boredom :-).
    Shame there are no majors left this year. eldrick, rest will be better than chiro. I had a friend who did chiro and swore by it, although, they were ALWAYS going back. Strange kind of medicine that just seems to work for a short while. Just long enough for a trip to the ATM machine!

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    I just came online. There is no point to repeat my comments about chiropractic and other "alternative medicine", as I commonly end up with a bloody lip.
    Eldrick, could you consider a few days of basically an absolute bedrest, getting up only to go to the bathroom and eat? Twice a day sit in a tub with water as hot as you can comfortably stand 30-45 minutes at the time and anti-inflammatory (therapeutic dose divided in 4 daily doses through 24 hour period - I won't insult you with a suggestion of what kind of the anti-inflammatory). Stay away from the narcotic analgesics, they can be counterproductive.
    Report again in 3-4 days. Between TV and reading, you may not die of boredom :-).

Leave a comment:

• dakota
    replied
    Re: Does Chiropracty work ?

Originally posted by eldrick
    i'm popping about 20 pills/day
    That explains a lot...

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Here is another vote for finding a good massage therapist. ALthough there are often others that can be key. Since you know the athletic people, they often have contacts. This type of massage therapy is not getting a good back rub, it is an often uncomfortable, occassionally very painful process when it involves deep tissue massage.

I have used two people here in Madison that have both been used by the IOC (or some related organization) at the Winter Games in 2002 and both offered similar positions for 2004 but declined.

My own story was that I had rotated the right side of my pelvus (probably while shoveling wet snow). Over a period of 5 weeks or so I have minor problems/symptoms which were partially treatable. After XC skiing in wet snow then running my daughter on running stroller 10+k things really started to "freeze up". It was almost intollerable; the first night I slept ZERO seconds, the next three eventually an hour at a time. The massage therapist worked on the muscles enough to be able to straighten much of the way. Then a physical therapist looked me over for about 30 minutes before confirming his initial hunch of pelvus rotation. A series of contractions pushing out with the knees against constraint, followed by one inward moved the pelvus into the appropriate orientation. As soon as the orientation was obtained, the never-related sensations shifted/dimiinished dramatically, although all of the 'knotted up' muscles still had to be dealt with. Unfortunately, the long duration over which the pelvus was out meant that it continually was slipping out.

Thereafter the message therapist worked on the muscles and getting muscle balance back.

Sevarl morals: the Doctor's could not do much, the various physiotherapists were knowledgeable and useful; the message therapist was the first key because until the work overcoming the muscle contraction (knotting etc) the rest was not very easily diagnosed. Even though the symptoms seemed to involve the back, in fact the issue was not the back at all (during recovery I would sit in my chair in the office for 8 hours straight which not only did not create a problem but I was best at the end of those 8 hours -- I even scooted around in the chair all day).

One poster made a good comment that I will rephrase. When your tool is a hammer, you view all the problems from the perspective of how you can use that hammer. Doctors, message therapist, chiros, accupuncture etc each have different hammers; in addition, some have good hammers and know how to use them and some do not. You have to match the tools and the problem and do so using the good hammers/hammerers.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    From personal experience, at least one of them is definitely a non-quack. About five years ago I woke up with a pain in the upper-middle of my back. After ignoring it as best as possible for a few weeks I sought medical attention. Basically my doctor said take Advil. This did not help. Pain stayed for months.

Finally my sister (a nurse practitioner) and mrs. hammy (a chiro junky) convinced me to give it a try. Went to mrs. hammy’s chiro, a practitioner from the quintessential herky jerky chiro school. Hated it. Made me very nervous having some guy snapping my neck and back around. Didn’t solve or reduce the problem.

Then the sister convinced me to try her chiro, a practitioner of the ‘give my back a nice warm massage while she figures out how far out of whack my vertebrae (or whatever) was, and then use a little tapper tool to put it back in place’ chiro school. Great experience, and it worked! For about a year or so the vert would slip back into its painful mode every once in a while, and I’d return for another adjustment. Haven’t had to visit for years, but would not hesitate in the least if something came up.

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    Does chiropracty work? Yes. So do placebos. But I'd rather get 'real' medicine. No offense to chiropracters or people who have been helped by them. Acupuncture 'works' too.
    I am open to being wrong but i can tell i was "out " before a race and made an emergency app. with my chiro the mornin of the race and he fixed it. I dont know what he did but it was NOT my imagination. Im a huge skeptic at heart.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    Does chiropracty work? Yes. So do placebos. But I'd rather get 'real' medicine. No offense to chiropracters or people who have been helped by them. Acupuncture 'works' too.
    Mrs. tandfman had acupuncture last year and it significantly reduced pain that her GP and neurologist could do nothing about.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X