Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Croc Hunter taken down by stingray

As the resident Aussie on here I guess its my duty to pass on this news story:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001028,00.html

Quite sad. A guy who actually did a whole lot for Aussie tourism and our native fauna...

Crikey! (said with all due respect)

Comment

i'm sorry for his family, but not for him

guy was a twonk

it was unforgiveable that stunt he pulled when he held his baby within jaw-reach of a croc

Comment

That was my feelings. If he has a family, why is he sticking his head down crocodiles heads? And the baby thing is just plain stupid.

My thoughts are with his family.
        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
          That was my feelings. If he has a family, why is he sticking his head down crocodiles heads?
          Are you suggesting that people with families must sit behind desks and never do anything for a living that involves any risk?

This guy was a professional who knew what he was doing around crocodiles. And note that it was not a croc that did him in.

Comment

No, but I am suggesting that he shouldn't really do anything which should involve such a high risk. Do you have a family? If so, would you be out sticking your head in crocodiles mouths and being precariously close to killer sting rays? And besides, animals are so unpredictible so you don't have a clue about what they will do next.
            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Huh? People do dangerous things for a living all the time. Working with high-tension wires - building skyscrapers. He made his job as safe as those guys did. Do you REALLY think his baby was in any danger at all? No. He died as he lived, bringing nature's wonder to us all. He did much good.

Thank you for all the great educational programming you brought my family, Steve. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                Thank you for all the great educational programming you brought my family, Steve. RIP.
                Ditto. Very sad loss.

Comment

I was stunned and saddened when I heard the news on the radio late last night. A very entertaining and educational fellow who will be missed.

Comment

Notable quotes from "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/ ... Quotes.php

_ "I have no fear of losing my life — if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it."

_ "Crikey, mate. You're far safer dealing with crocodiles and western diamondback rattlesnakes than the executives and the producers and all those sharks in the big MGM building." — comparing dealing with deadly animals with show business.

_ "It is all about perceived danger. In front of that crocodile I was in complete control. Absolute and complete control. That is my profession. I would be considered a bad parent if I didn't teach my children to be crocodile savvy because they live here, they live in crocodile territory." — On the 2004 controversy in which he was filmed holding his infant son while feeding a snapping crocodile:

_ "To hear people say that it was a publicity stunt, that I'm just like Michael Jackson, well, it just tears me up. It makes me sick to my stomach to be compared in that way." — On the same incident.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                      Huh? People do dangerous things for a living all the time. Working with high-tension wires - building skyscrapers. He made his job as safe as those guys did. Do you REALLY think his baby was in any danger at all? No. He died as he lived, bringing nature's wonder to us all. He did much good
                      taf

those jobs you mention are a neccesity of modern living/civilisation & it is essential that someone does them ( family or not, albeit perhaps singletons shoud be preffered ? )

sticking one's head in a crocs mouth is not essential for functioning of society !

with a wife & 2 young kids & presumably all the money he'd ever need, a sensible man wouda changed his life's priorities & settled for fishing or golf

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                        sticking one's head in a crocs mouth is not essential
                        I would posit that what he did and HOW he did it has done more good for 'us' than 99.99% of everyone else.

Comment

I know someone who meet Da Croc dude and he said he was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. For what its worth.
                          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                            sticking one's head in a crocs mouth is not essential for functioning of society !
                            Neither is pushing your body to the limit, running around in a circles, jumping into a big sand pit, using a pole to catapult yourself several feet into the air, throwing metal balls/spears, etc. But people do do those odd things becuase they've found something they truly enjoy--and they also provide enjoyment to others. Now, if any one of those odd individuals lost their life doing one of those odd tasks, it would be tragic...and they would NOT be condidered "twonks", would they?

Comment

We all take risks every day. The odds of getting killed while driving to work are high, yet most do it to feed their families.

Steve Irwin did what he loved. He took risks along the way that were different than the risks most people take, but I don't think it is fair to criticize him. The risks he took benefitted many.

I would imagine he would have wanted to die doing something he loved, as opposed to in a car crash, or wasting away due to cancer or illness. I am sure he would never have wanted to leave his family early, but we don't always get a choice in the matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X