Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Were You Doing 11-September-2001?

I had a travel arrangement to New York City get cancelled on 5-September. I was to have arrived on 10-September. I watched the events unfold from an office television set.

I was studying for an exam at home when my father phoned me and said "turn on the tv". Only one plane crashed to the tower till that moment so I watched all what happened. I remember very well all those moments, the shocking images and very shocking interviews. I remember an interview to an 70 years old Italian man who worked at about 70th floor who told what he saw and how he managed to save himeslf. I don't remeber an event more shocking than that.

this is a sad day for all the world.
    “I'm not a star, I'm just an ordinary person who wants to do something because I think it's fun.”

Carolina Kluft

Comment

I may have mentioned this before. Another painful partnership meeting. Our switchboard operator came into the meeting to tell us that a client had just come in and told her that two planes had flown into the WTC. I knew right away that we were on the possible verge of WWIII and wanted to get the hell out of there and see what was going on. My inane partners kept talking about who knows what-I would have the minutes somewhere. I told them that they were out of their minds.

Comment

I had first period free that day and was oblivious to what was going on till I wandered into the receptionists’ office and they had it on TV. The first plane had hit, and they couldn’t explain to me what was going on. I assumed that either some private plane had wandered off-course or some hot-dog had flown too close in some stunt. It wasn’t until the second plane hit that I started to really wonder if it had been intentional. When the commentator confirmed they were full-sized airliners, I knew we were in the middle of something really bad. There was still the outside chance that the air traffic controllers’ equipment had horribly malfunctioned, but it was starting to look intentional. My next class started at 9:20, so we just spent the entire period watching CNN. The kids (juniors) were numb. The homework for the next day was for them to write an essay to recreate all the feelings they were going through. The essays were superb, and I published them as the front page of the next edition of the school paper. Many of them said they felt like that was the day they grew up and faced the realities of the world around them. Most of them couldn’t understand why someone would hate us so much they were willing to kill themselves, everyone on the plane and all the people in the buildings.

Comment

tafnut, you have elevated my belief in educators. What a terrific platform you used to get these kids to look at themselves, their surroundings, and their priorities in life.

Comment

Driving home from the southern suburbs of Chicago. Just as we entered I-294, the radio interrupted the programming and gave updates every few minutes. At first, we did not fully understand what was actually happening. What added to the drama was the fourth plane still on the westbound course. The speculation was that the Sears tower was the target.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Had no clue as all of the events unfolded. Was at home with the wife, waiting for an appliance delivery and a home appraiser to show up. Up late, reading the papers, coffee, typical day off. No TV or radio on. The appliance delivery guy is the one who said ‘Hey, did you hear about the WTC?? We’re at war!!!’

Of course we immediately turn on the TV. This is 11am our time, so 2pm EDT, long after this had all happened. We watch in horror, of course, numbed.

And of course we all love good conspiracy theories, and there are plenty of them floating around about 9/11. The SF Chron had a story about 9/11 conspiracy theories last week ( http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000) and it led me to go find this online movie – the documentary Loose Change ( http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3501&hl=en). Let’s just say that there are a lot of unanswered questions, and different ways to interpret what we think we do know. Note that the movie is 90 minutes long, so you need to set aside a bit of time.

Comment

Bad Hammy: I have seen that loose change video, and thanks, btw, for sharing that. I have now more questions than ever as to how this could have been pinned on Osama bin Laden.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                  Bad Hammy: I have seen that loose change video, and thanks, btw, for sharing that. I have now more questions than ever as to how this could have been pinned on Osama bin Laden.
                  Maybe because he was behind it?
                  phsstt!

Comment

Squackee, have you ever watched that counter vidoe? It brings up some very valid points.

Comment

Man, you watch even faster than you write!! You got thru that 90 minute movie about 30 minutes after I posted it!!!

Comment

That:s why they call it broadband!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                          Maybe because he was behind it?
                          Do not uncritically believe everything you have been told . . . watch the video . . . there are grassy knolls all over this story . . .

Comment

Squackee, have you ever watched that counter vidoe? It brings up some very valid points.
                            I really try to keep an open mind but like everyone else i do have my limitations. I will not be viewing this video. You can fault me for responding to something i havent even seen but im not wasting my time. You could make a video on ANYTHING and it would be compelling with no one to challenge it. The tv show promoting the idea we didnt land on the moon is a good example. Peoples need to embrace conspiracies saddens me.
                            phsstt!

Comment

Squackee, I appreciate your stance. However - there:s that dirty word again - do you believe everything with which you are presented on television?

Comment

Working...
                              X