Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any non-canucks heard of Terry Fox?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MJD
    One of the top ten canucks. Pretty good company:

http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/top_ten/
    What? No Alex Trebek? :-)

Getting serious for a moment, I'd find a place on my list for Glenn Gould.

Oh, and yes, I'd heard of Terry Fox before this thread. His run was well publicized outside of Canada.

Comment

Glenn Gould is Top Ten on my list too but ended up at #55, just ahead of William Shatner #56 but behind rassler Bret Hart #38 and Pamela Anderson #51. Donovan Bailey came in at #89.

cman

Comment

I think so. Wasn't he the guy who lost a leg to cancer and did a series of walks/runs across Canada to publicise cancer research and/or disablity recovery? I think the big C finally won. I seem to remember too, that Canada issued a stamp in his honour. Eh?

Now I'll read the responses and see how far off I was.

Comment

I definitely remember reading about Fox's struggle with cancer and his trans Canada run. Inspiring. Can clearly still mentally see a picture of him (probably from runners world) of him hobbling across some barren plain.

Comment

Canada and barren plain do not belong in the same sentence! :-)

Comment

You could argue there are some plains out west that are barren in the winter but he didn't make it that far.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                What? No Alex Trebek? :-)
                Or Paul Schaffer!!! What the heck kind of top ten list is this, anyways???

Comment

If you drive west out of Jasper, you'll see Terry Fox Mountain. (although it must be noted that one's impulse in driving out of Jasper is to head south!)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Canada and barren plain do not belong in the same sentence! :-)
                    Never been to Manitoba, eh?

Comment

suggest you look up the definition of barren

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        suggest you look up the definition of barren
                        I was considering the uninteresting definition. I know the soil produces, but wheat don't make it interesting. In that sense, Kansas and the area around Pullman are also "barren".

Oh, there is an area in Ontario, north of Hudson's Bay, enticingly named Barren Grounds (or sometimes Barren Lands). Makes you wanna go.

Comment

If you understand the Latin derivation there can't be a much more descriptive (and foreboding) place than the Nullarbor Plain. (I won't even attempt to give the Aussie pronunciation, which is, needless to say, not exactly U.S. phonics.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullarbor_Plain

Comment

Working...
                          X