Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you reading now?

I just finished, while on vacation, Michael Crichton's "The Great Train Robbery." It is about the robbery of the payroll train for the English troops during the Crimean War. As an American I confess to have never learned much, if anything, about the Crimean War while in school. It was pretty good read. Now I can finally see the movie. The book gives so much background information about the war and about living conditions at the time that it could have used footnotes.
    Prior to that I read "Comrades and Chicken Ranchers" by Kenneth Kann. I picked it up one Sunday while walking with my son's family in Brooklyn. Folks put books out on their stoops for anyone to take, an interesting practice, and it looked interesting. (I hate the idea of throwing books out.) Its an oral history of the Jewish chicken ranchers and radicals of Petaluma, California who migrated there in the early 20th century, and how the community evolved and devolved since then.

Comment

Does it mention that while you can pet a dog or pet a cat you can't petaluma?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        you can't petaluma?
        But you can petulance. :shock: ops:

Comment

If a luma is a type of cat I'm probably allergic anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE
            I picked it up one Sunday while walking with my son's family in Brooklyn. Folks put books out on their stoops for anyone to take, an interesting practice, and it looked interesting. (I hate the idea of throwing books out.) Its an oral history of the Jewish chicken ranchers and radicals of Petaluma, California who migrated there in the early 20th century, and how the community evolved and devolved since then.
            In my general neighborhood that are a relatively large (30 total?) locations where people have a little 'house' with a glass door front (to protect the books) with typically 10-20 books for taking/replacing with others. First there were one or two, then five then ... not certain of the total number.

As for Petaluma, my sister has lived in Point Reyes Station for more than 30 years and her husband was a teacher at the elementary school there, then the principal, then the assistant superintendent. In the process they have gotten to know the real mix of people in that area close to San Fransisco but not so close. Unlike places along 101 it is harder to commute in to SF.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
              my sister has lived in Point Reyes Station
              Have you ever been to Vladimir's Czech Restaurant? It's on Sir Francis Drake Boulevard on the west side of Tomales Bay. We often went their for food when we lived in SF. It's a little hit and miss but I do remember getting a good rabbit once. You can always skip the food and drink the draft pilsner.

Comment

Yes, I have gone there, but not for a number of years. My sister and brother-in-law know pretty much all of the long-term families (there are not that many). There is also Mankas (spelling, or is that the name of the restaurant). Over the last 20 years or so most of my stays were family gatherings so we did not eat out.

I did study for Quals there for the last three weeks before the exams. They were building their house at the time and Jim would teach come back from teaching in the early afternoon and then we would work on the house throughout the afternoon, eat dinner and I would go back to studying. It seemed to be the perfect, low-stress preparation.

Comment

Is "The Godfather" worth reading if one has seen the entire movie two or three times and probably nine or ten times if you splice together all the partial views I've had while lazing about channel surfing, stretching on the carpet, etc?

Comment

Just finished Alex Ross's "The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century" (2007), a remarkably detailed history of modern "classical" music. It's not a subject I am very familiar with, but I thought this account was very rich and interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                      Is "The Godfather" worth reading if one has seen the entire movie two or three times and probably nine or ten times if you splice together all the partial views I've had while lazing about channel surfing, stretching on the carpet, etc?

Quite readable and entertaining. It's interesting to see how the movie differs from the book. Not a drastic difference however.

Comment

Churning through the third book in William Manchester's Churchill trilogy, " Defender of the Realm 1940-1965. " He did not have it quite done before his health failed, but prior to his death he worked out a deal with Paul Reid to finish it for him.

I've read every book Manchester wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                          He lived and taught very close to where I grew up, so he was probably the first "name" historian I was aware of. I remember reading "The Glory and the Dream" very intently when it first came out (ca. 1974?).

Edit: Just found this book on the shelf and was surprised to find it autographed. At some point, I guess, I met him or went to a book signing. I read this book to death--its value as a collectable is minimal.

Comment

Another airline flight...just finished David Byrne's "How Music Works." Very interesting overview of music and the biz, from a personal & insider's perspective. Will probably be of more interest to those who followed his great band Talking Heads in the old days...

Comment

Churning through the third book in William Manchester's Churchill trilogy, " Defender of the Realm 1940-1965. " He did not have it quite done before his health failed, but prior to his death he worked out a deal with Paul Reid to finish it for him.

Oh, this is awesome news! I've read the first two books twice, and every once in a while went looking to see if anybody else had picked up the torch for him, but I guess it has been a while since I did that. Question is, do I slog through the other two yet again first?!

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay

Quite readable and entertaining. It's interesting to see how the movie differs from the book. Not a drastic difference however.
                                Halfway through it, enjoyable vacation read. About as easy as scratching one's bum. Fills in the movie material well.

Comment

Working...
                                X