Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after several years away, bingeing on the last 5 Lucas Davenport books by John Sandford; nothing like a no-brainer cops & robbers read for relaxation

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
      after several years away, bingeing on the last 5 Lucas Davenport books by John Sandford; nothing like a no-brainer cops & robbers read for relaxation
      Great reads! Have you tried his Virgil Flowers series?

Comment

• not a fuckin' Flowers fan :-)

Comment

• The Library Book by Susan Orlean.

Comment

after several years away, bingeing on the last 5 Lucas Davenport books by John Sandford; nothing like a no-brainer cops & robbers read for relaxation
            but now I get to book #26, which focuses on a character from book #13, which came out in '99, so I read it almost 20 years ago and needless to say have very little recall, so need to go back and read that one again!

Comment

• Re-reading Bruce Catton's " Never Call Retreat "

Comment

• On recommendation of a lady friend I just read one of the books I am Christmas gifting, "Where the Crawdads Sing.". I had never hear of the author or the book. Unusual format, complete surprise but well worth the seven hours it too me to read the 350 pages.

Comment

• I suspect that in today's world, that most of us are reading something. I'm into the 700+ page memoir "Night Drive: Travels With My Brother" by the Canadian folk singer Garnet Rogers. Entertaining.

Comment

• forget all the doom & gloom: I'm reading the latest Reacher book, where the good guys not only always win, but also do in kick-ass style!

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                      The series, four down, one to go, is an expansive, richly detailed deep-dive into one of the strangest guys to acquire massive political power post-WWII. And thanks to Caro’s writing style it’s a page turner! Caro’s not yet done – he’s working on the last of the pentalogy - LBJ in the 60s (we're over 3000 pages in and he isn’t President yet).

In this recent short article by Caro (that’s a joke – nothing Caro writes is short) he explains his love of the chase through the 37+ million documents in the LBJ Library and beyond, the process of developing sources from LBJ’s past through serious long-term commitment, the months of tedious research that reveal the rare gems, all part of why it's taking him forever to finish the whole story. Plus excellent asides on getting people to talk, and he answers the common question he gets about if he’s gonna finish the whole thing before he dies (he’s 83). An excellent article that gives you a great taste for what great biographical journalism is all about.
                      The Caro books are wonderful.

Comment

forget all the doom & gloom: I'm reading the latest Reacher book, where the good guys not only always win, but also do in kick-ass style!
                        Quite a different one, but as good as always!

Comment

• Just finished "Plato and a Platypus Walk Into A Bar (Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes)"

Can't say that I understand philosophy any better than I used to, but read a lot of cornball jokes

In discussing Theological Distinctions, for example, they said "The key to determining the religious persuasion of a person, as it turns out, is whom he does or does not recognize," illustrated by this:

Jews don't recognize Jesus
                          Protestants don't recognize the Pope
                          Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store

(bada-boom)

Comment

• " Rocket Men " by Robert Kurson 2019

All about Apollo 8 ( first mission to Moon )
                            A great read

Comment

Jthey said "The key to determining the religious persuasion of a person, as it turns out, is whom he does or does not recognize," iillustrated by this:

Jews don't recognize Jesus
                              Protestants don't recognize the Pope
                              Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store

(bada-boom)
                              that is a joke worth remembering !!!!
                              Last edited by user4; 03-31-2020, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• I'm re-reading some older books in my library that I really liked. Just finished A Terrible Splendor by Marshall Jon Fisher, about the greatest tennis match ever played - 1937 Davis Cup tie between Don Budge and Baron Gottfried von Cramm. Lots of political and sociologic overtones. Tremendous book. Highly recommend it if you haven't read it.

Also about 1/2-way thru Golf in the Kingdom - a cult classic in golf circles. I've read it before a few times but always enjoy it.

Just re-started Baseball in the Garden of Eden by John Thorn about the early history of baseball. Again, wonderful read.

My next one might be my favorite book ever - The Ascent of Man by Jacob Bronowski. Haven't read in over 10 years now, but will certainly enjoy that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X