Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't watercress a lettuce?--we had lettuce(nonspecific) listed. I see cress listed listed on the can though. So what are the "other" lettuces?
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
      Originally posted by tandfman
      It's the composition of the chorus in Gioacchino Rossini's little known opera Le Verdure (The Vegetables). :-)
      parsley is a vegetable?
      Which brings to mind the old joke: "What's the difference between parsley and pussy. Nobody eats parsley". Mods, feel free to purge.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        Yes, watercress is a vegetable.
        But a tomato is a fruit!

Comment

Originally posted by dj
          Originally posted by gh
          Yes, watercress is a vegetable.
          But a tomato is a fruit!
          No it isn't and here is the proof.
          Every fruit known to man has been used to make an alcoholic beverage. Not the tomato, therefore....
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

You've never heard of a bloody mary?! :-)

(interesting observation.... wonder if it's really true?)

Comment

Why we have google: a link for tomato schnapps

http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/ind ... o_schnapps

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                You've never heard of a bloody mary?! :-)

(interesting observation.... wonder if it's really true?)
                I am not aware of one. If anybody is, I'll concede :-).
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Why we have google: a link for tomato schnapps

http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/ind ... o_schnapps
                  Well, I guess there is one, LOL.
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Meanwhile, we have some interesting observations about botany, but no answer to the question.

Igivup!

Comment

Meanwhile, we have some interesting observations about botany, but no answer to the question.

Igivup!
                      i thought the answer was watercress? Or are you referring to the question is tomato a fruit? It is a fruit. And strawberries are not a fruit :shock: Strange world we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy

Igivup!
                        i thought the answer was watercress? Or are you referring to the question is tomato a fruit? It is a fruit. And strawberries are not a fruit :shock: Strange world we live in.
                        I feel like I'm spiralling down into Lewis Carrot Land..... Does Alice drive a juice-powered car with a V8 engine?
                        Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mennisco
                          I feel like I'm spiralling down into Lewis Carrot Land..... Does Alice drive a juice-powered car with a V8 engine?
                          Undoubtedly. At about 5 this morning, while trying to get back to sleep, I had a "DOH!!!!" moment, when I realized it must be the vegetable components of V8 juice, rearranged in alphabetical order.

I probably would have gotten that a while ago except that I never touch the stuff. I tasted it once when I was a kid and couldn't imagine why anyone would muck up tomato juice like that. (Part of my problem is that I have always disliked celery, and that's one of the flavors you can really taste in V8.)

As for whether tomato is a fruit or a vegetable, I'll accept it as a vegetable. I don't care what the botanists or dictionaries say (my dictionary says that not only is it a fruit--it's a berry!). There are two things that "prove" that it's a vegetable. First is that the V8 people say it is, and they ought to know. And the other is that when I go to the supermarket, I find the tomatoes next to the lettuce, not the peaches.

Q.E.D. :-)

Comment

As for whether tomato is a fruit or a vegetable, I'll accept it as a vegetable. I don't care what the botanists or dictionaries say (my dictionary says that not only is it a fruit--it's a berry!). There are two things that "prove" that it's a vegetable. First is that the V8 people say it is, and they ought to know. And the other is that when I go to the supermarket, I find the tomatoes next to the lettuce, not the peaches.
                            If produce marketers are dumb enough to put the tomatoes with the potatos, that's their problem. (And they make it ours.) But remember that the Reagan administration tried to classify ketchup as a vegetable in an effort to reduce the school lunch budget.

And if you're going to use odd classifications, tell me how a french horn sometimes winds up in a string quartet with two violins, a viola and a cello. A french horn has no strings, and the quartet that was, isn't!

A botanist would certainly scratch his/her head at discussions of why 10.49 shouldn't be a WR! But, that's the way life goes at times.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                              A botanist would certainly scratch his/her head at discussions of why 10.49 shouldn't be a WR!
                              But what would Einstein and Wittgenstein say? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                                A botanist would certainly scratch his/her head at discussions of why 10.49 shouldn't be a WR!
                                But what would Einstein and Wittgenstein say? :-)
                                I don't know what Wittgenstein would say, but Einstein (and his cousin and cousin-in-law) played in a five-piece string quartet!

Comment

Working...
                                X