Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    <<bananas, tomatoes, cucumber, apples, and a bit of mango, splash of cinnamon and curry, nut-flavoured oil>>

That sounded so familiar to me I had to google it; that's the formula for the conditioner I use in the shower every morning!

Leave a comment:

• Mennisco
    replied
    dj wrote " A botanist would certainly scratch his/her head at discussions of why 10.49 shouldn't be a WR! But, that's the way life goes at times."

That WR was set by a hydroponically grown woman

Some MAY wretch and/or kvetch, but a chef will understand the best results sometimes come from daring:

bananas, tomatoes, cucumber, apples, and a bit of mango, splash of cinnamon and curry, nut-flavoured oil [pumpkin/flax can work well] and a very little mild apple-cider vinegar or the acid of your choice........ and you have a wickedly delicious and "who knew?" success of a salad. Only a sometimes-manic and creatively-cursed bachelor like myself would be likely to try this. If somebody says "Too late,Binder Dundat!", I'll just grab Mahatma Coat and be leaving, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    They could have just listed the ingredients as vegetable juice (with a parenthetical that began with tomatoes and continued with the others), but they didn't.
    May be the type setter was uncomfotable with calling toms a veg? Then they never bothered to change it?

It would be strange if the drink was not called V8 due to the eight ingredients. Obviously we are getting mixed messages from Campbells.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Why, then, are the ingredients listed the way they are?
    I guess they are ordered with respect to quanity. Mostly tomato, then carrot and so on down.
    Yes, and I believe that's a legal requirement. But they go out of their way to separate the tomato juice (which is the first ingredient) from what they call vegetable juice, which includes all the others. A little odd. They could have just listed the ingredients as vegetable juice (with a parenthetical that began with tomatoes and continued with the others), but they didn't.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Why, then, are the ingredients listed the way they are?
    I guess they are ordered with respect to quanity. Mostly tomato, then carrot and so on down.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    The V8 (aka Campbells) people think of tomato as a veggie

http://www.v8juice.com/FAQ_v8.aspx
    OK, now I'm totally confused. Why, then, are the ingredients listed the way they are? Sounds like some kind of compromise with the FDA, but who knows? (I admit that when I looked at the bottle, I looked only at the ingredients and not the front of the bottle).

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by dj
    A botanist would certainly scratch his/her head at discussions of why 10.49 shouldn't be a WR! But, that's the way life goes at times.
    I'm not so sure about that.
    I know a track fan-botanist at UC Davis. (She took her PhD at U. Oregon). She thinks we're idiots for arguing some of the things we do.
    I'm surprised. Scientists usually love the details. Of course botany is a very broad topic so its hard to stereotype their interests.

As an aside, how many track fans would not be interested in whether 10.49 was legal? I would have thought this was good fodder for them all. You can tell i hang out here way too much.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    The V8 (aka Campbells) people think of tomato as a veggie

http://www.v8juice.com/FAQ_v8.aspx

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    As for whether tomato is a fruit or a vegetable, I'll accept it as a vegetable. I don't care what the botanists or dictionaries say (my dictionary says that not only is it a fruit--it's a berry!). There are two things that "prove" that it's a vegetable. First is that the V8 people say it is, and they ought to know.
    WRONG! I just happened to be in a grocery store and took a look at the label of a bottle of V8. The ingredient list shows tomato juice as the first ingredient, and then--separately--vegetable juice, followed by a list of the vegetables in parentheses. So they implicitly recognize that tomato juice is not the juice of a vegetable. V8 turns out to be just a brand, not an ingredient claim.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mennisco
    I feel like I'm spiralling down into Lewis Carrot Land..... Does Alice drive a juice-powered car with a V8 engine?
    Undoubtedly. At about 5 this morning, while trying to get back to sleep, I had a "DOH!!!!" moment, when I realized it must be the vegetable components of V8 juice, rearranged in alphabetical order.
    Oh that answer! I thought we had that answer after the second post,
    You may have. I didn't. Never touch the stuff and it's just not on my radar screen. However, I have certainly heard of it and I really should have gotten it, especially when a couple of posters seemed quickly to have figured out that it was the ingredients of something. Hence the DOH! in the middle of the night.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    A botanist would certainly scratch his/her head at discussions of why 10.49 shouldn't be a WR! But, that's the way life goes at times.
    I know a track fan-botanist at UC Davis. (She took her PhD at U. Oregon). She thinks we're idiots for arguing some of the things we do.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mennisco
    I feel like I'm spiralling down into Lewis Carrot Land..... Does Alice drive a juice-powered car with a V8 engine?
    Undoubtedly. At about 5 this morning, while trying to get back to sleep, I had a "DOH!!!!" moment, when I realized it must be the vegetable components of V8 juice, rearranged in alphabetical order.
    Oh that answer! I thought we had that answer after the second post, I had perceived the problem as did we know the ingredients without looking.

There is no doubt we are chasing the white rabbit.

As for whether tomato is a fruit or a vegetable, I'll accept it as a vegetable. I don't care what the botanists or dictionaries say (my dictionary says that not only is it a fruit--it's a berry!).
    I could live with berry.

There are two things that "prove" that it's a vegetable. First is that the V8 people say it is, and they ought to know. And the other is that when I go to the supermarket, I find the tomatoes next to the lettuce, not the peaches. Q.E.D. :-)
    Huh!? So you trust the guy that stocks the shelves in your local shop and the marketing department at V8? I did note the smiley so i suspect not, nevertheless, that would be like me getting legal advice from the guy that shines shoes in Grand Central station. No doubt he would have an opinion but should I trust him?

Originally posted by dj

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    A botanist would certainly scratch his/her head at discussions of why 10.49 shouldn't be a WR!
    But what would Einstein and Wittgenstein say? :-)
    I don't know what Wittgenstein would say, but Einstein (and his cousin and cousin-in-law) played in a five-piece string quartet!

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    A botanist would certainly scratch his/her head at discussions of why 10.49 shouldn't be a WR!
    But what would Einstein and Wittgenstein say? :-)

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    As for whether tomato is a fruit or a vegetable, I'll accept it as a vegetable. I don't care what the botanists or dictionaries say (my dictionary says that not only is it a fruit--it's a berry!). There are two things that "prove" that it's a vegetable. First is that the V8 people say it is, and they ought to know. And the other is that when I go to the supermarket, I find the tomatoes next to the lettuce, not the peaches.
    If produce marketers are dumb enough to put the tomatoes with the potatos, that's their problem. (And they make it ours.) But remember that the Reagan administration tried to classify ketchup as a vegetable in an effort to reduce the school lunch budget.

And if you're going to use odd classifications, tell me how a french horn sometimes winds up in a string quartet with two violins, a viola and a cello. A french horn has no strings, and the quartet that was, isn't!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X