Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He has a VO2 max of 85 and he is running the N.Y. marathon

AND HE MAY NOT BREAK 3 HOURS!

He says his longest run is around 10 -11 miles and might not run any further. He says he is incredible busy with life but still states he will run faster than 2:55.

He is know to be really tough and has that 85 VO2 but none of that is gonna help him when his quads turn into Silly Putty.

Goodluck Lance , remember the race starts after 20 miles. Thats well over an hour longer than you have trained.

I will be watching with one eye closed.
    phsstt!

Good luck Lance. Remember to squirt your tongue with water. :-)

(that's good advice right?)

Comment

P Diddy redux.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
        Good luck Lance. Remember to squirt your tongue with water. :-)

(that's good advice right?)
        Squirt your tongue with water? Mojo has gone quietly insane........
        phsstt!

Comment

A very famous marathoner who shall remain unnamed told me his tongue stuck to the inside of his mouth once during a marathon. I have never forgotten this tragic story and so I go to every marathon in town with my squirt bottle and tell the athletes to just say ahhh. Sometimes they spit at me but at least I know then that they are hydrated.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
            A very famous marathoner who shall remain unnamed told me his tongue stuck to the inside of his mouth once during a marathon. I have never forgotten this tragic story and so I go to every marathon in town with my squirt bottle and tell the athletes to just say ahhh. Sometimes they spit at me but at least I know then that they are hydrated.
            Oh, i see. Sorry about the quietly insane remark. Yes it seems some " marathoners" I.Q. is less than a water bottle.
            phsstt!

Comment

Re: He has a VO2 max of 85 and he is running the N.Y. marath

Originally posted by SQUACKEE

He says his longest run is around 10 -11 miles and might not run any further. He says he is incredible busy with life but still states he will run faster than 2:55.

He is know to be really tough and has that 85 VO2 but none of that is gonna help him when his quads turn into Silly Putty.

Goodluck Lance , remember the race starts after 20 miles. Thats well over an hour longer than you have trained.

Although it is different muscle groups, I would say Lance's quads, which have rather successfully climbed up Alpe d'Huez at 15 mph, after 6 hours on his bike, should probably fare pretty well. Not so certain about his calves.

Comment

Re: He has a VO2 max of 85 and he is running the N.Y. marath

Originally posted by bambam
                Originally posted by SQUACKEE

Although it is different muscle groups, I would say Lance's quads, which have rather successfully climbed up Alpe d'Huez at 15 mph, after 6 hours on his bike, should probably fare pretty well. Not so certain about his calves.
                Good point and dont forget the hammys.
                phsstt!

Comment

I'm no physiologist, but I would think his thigh development, while superb for cycling, might actually NOT help him running - same muscle, but different utilization. The running motion will put an entirely different stress on his mucles than he's used to. Certainly his endurance is there, but I'll be mildly surprised if his legs do hold up well.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                    I'm no physiologist, but I would think his thigh development, while superb for cycling, might actually NOT help him running - same muscle, but different utilization. The running motion will put an entirely different stress on his mucles than he's used to. Certainly his endurance is there, but I'll be mildly surprised if his legs do hold up well.
                    Agreed, tafnut. I said they were different muscle groups but i really meant what you said which is different utilization. Still, I bike ride all the time and have pretty good quads. If I ran a marathon I'm sure I would have problems. But these are not my quads we're discussing. They are the quads of a guy who won the Tour de France 7 times in a row. I suspect they'll survive.

Comment

Lance running:

http://www.familyfitnessweekend.com/FFW ... eHighlight

Comment

Originally posted by MJD

I was wondering when I saw this thread if he'd done triathlon[s] - thanks for the clip. I thought he looked pretty good in the running segment. Do cyclists "augment" their training with other aerobic activities like running? Or would that be a stupid question like asking if runners do the occasional swimming/cycling to provide some variety in the training programming?
                        Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Working...
                        X