Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google, Youtube, Napster, Limewire, etc.

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJD
    replied
    Piece on The Newshour tonight.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by polevaultpower
    Originally posted by EPelle
    What percentage of YouTuber:s are uploading illegal videos? I:ve used the service twice, and have both times uploaded personal videos.
    A LOT, but most of them don't even know they are illegal.
    That won't stop the law dudes from closing down YouTube.
    YouTube is different from Napster in that they remove any copyrighted material IMMEDIATELY when requested to do so. Since they don't post the material, simply providing a forum, they enjoy a fair amount of legal protection under Section 230, Title V of the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Of course, the licensing agreement(s) do reduce the headaches, and most artists realize the benefits of exposure on a site like YouTube. Sharing video files is not quite the same as audio files from a financial standpoint.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    (the licensing agreements notwithstanding; they represent a very small portion of the copyrighted material that currently resides on YouTube)!
    But probably the first of many . . .

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    But that was the significance of the announcement. Google is betting

$1,600,000,000

that law dudes WON'T go after them (the licensing agreements notwithstanding; they represent a very small portion of the copyrighted material that currently resides on YouTube)!

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    On the broader issue, technology has allowed people to steal licensed materials for years, and people who are otherwise law abiding folks think nothing of making a copy of a friend’s CD. Before that there was tape, but CDs are much easier, cheaper and much maintains the source’s true fidelity.

As for YouTube, apparently they are taking steps to address the licensing issues:

The deal came on the heels of a separate announcement by YouTube Monday that it had signed licensing deals with Universal Music Group, CBS and Sony BMG Music Entertainment. The deals, which will allow YouTube users to post licensed content, will give the media companies a share of the video site's advertising revenue and should prevent lawsuits against YouTube, at least from the companies covered by the deals.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... LM06H1.DTL

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower
    What percentage of YouTuber:s are uploading illegal videos? I:ve used the service twice, and have both times uploaded personal videos.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

I:d like to see the world go to a purchase-direct scenario where I can review a programme and pay for x-amount of seconds/minutes of download time. I would like to pay "x" kronor for program access, and "y" kronor for the amount of minutes I:d like to record. If there is a 2-hour track and field programme on an internet site, and I:d like to record the 400m, I:d like the 45 seconds or so to be reduced from my total credits.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied
    Re: Google, Youtube, Napster, Limewire, etc.

Originally posted by tafnut
    So Google has bid over a $bil for Youtube. Is this a good thing? Yes, no, maybe so. Discuss.
    No.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    started a topic Google, Youtube, Napster, Limewire, etc.

Google, Youtube, Napster, Limewire, etc.

So Google has bid over a $bil for Youtube. Mark Cuban sez it's a 'moronic' business move, because so much of what's on Youtube is copyright infringement. Limewire moves merrily along in Napster's footsteps. The idea that the internet is 'free' and we should all be 'entitled' to up/download anything we wish is fraught with legal issues. Only the brave, deep-pocketed people are trying to 'protect' their 'property' on the web. So where is this all headed? If Google is willing to spend this much money on a blatantly 'illegal' commodity, that tells us they are betting BigBux that copyright will be a thing of the past. Is this a good thing? Yes, no, maybe so. Discuss.
Working...
X