Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some of your favorite oxymorons?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some of your favorite oxymorons?

How about pretty ugly, free love, extinct life, and 800-meter dash? Yes I have seen the 2-lapper referred to as such by more than a few naive reporters. Oh and then there is the notorious "sex worker" as some Toronto women insist on being known. Thanks to NOW magazine, our local lefty leftover which is available FREE.
    Take good care of yourself.

the best is of course "military intelligence"

Comment

When we take our boys out to the local pizza establishment, our favorite is the giant shrimp.

Comment

Detroit Tigers Victory... oh wait, that doesn't qualify anymore.

www.stephenpaske.com
        Stephen Paske
        www.stephenpaske.com

Comment

Coach used to say it all the time: "Try hard to relax."

Comment

Honest politician

Comment

Originally posted by Murray Sperber (author of College Sports, Inc.)
              Until colleges are tested for the education they are providing their athletes, the term ‘student-athlete’ will remain the most tragic oxymoron in the American vocabulary.
              Not sure this is true for all sports, although, American football does seem to fit this quote. From experience, my impression is that swimmers are pretty good academically.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                From experience, my impression is that swimmers are pretty good academically.
                Is it just my experience or don't Cross Country teams usually have a very high GPA? It's the norm at the schools I'm familiar with (since I was NOT a CC runner).

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                  From experience, my impression is that swimmers are pretty good academically.
                  Is it just my experience or don't Cross Country teams usually have a very high GPA? It's the norm at the schools I'm familiar with (since I was NOT a CC runner).
                  Cross Country runners are total geeks who have no girlfriends and no social life. Might as will do their damn homework.
                  phsstt!

Comment

Cold as hell

Comment

Originally posted by Murray Sperber (author of College Sports, Inc.)
                      Until colleges are tested for the education they are providing their athletes, the term ‘student-athlete’ will remain the most tragic oxymoron in the American vocabulary.
                      Not sure this is true for all sports, although, American football does seem to fit this quote. From experience, my impression is that swimmers are pretty good academically.
                      About a week ago I’m listening to sports radio and they are interviewing author Michael Lewis, who has written a number of books. His most famous of book is probably Moneyball, a book about major league baseball and focuses on, amongst other things how the Oakland A’s continue to do well with such a low payroll.

In any event, his next book is about pro football. During this radio interview he made the comment that pro football players were, on the whole, far more intelligent, articulate and socially well-adjusted than pro baseball players. He mentioned the college education as one reason, and the fact that football is a far more complex game than baseball, with much more intricate teamwork and thinking skills required. And the radio guys all agreed with him across the board.

I found that an interesting observation, for what it’s worth . . .

Comment

Im kiddin and i was one, does that warm it up a little?
                        phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                          During this radio interview he made the comment that pro football players were, on the whole, far more intelligent, articulate and socially well-adjusted than pro baseball players. He mentioned the college education as one reason, and the fact that football is a far more complex game than baseball, with much more intricate teamwork and thinking skills required. And the radio guys all agreed with him across the board.

Very interesting. It certainly goes against ones expectations. I'll have to recalibrate my bias.

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                          Originally posted by tafnut
                          my impression is that swimmers are pretty good academically.
                          don't Cross Country teams usually have a very high GPA?
                          Cross Country runners are total geeks who have no girlfriends and no social life. Might as will do their damn homework.
                          Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                          Im kiddin and i was one, does that warm it up a little?
                          Too late to back out now. Sounded like you knew exactly what you're talking about. OK not quite. May be you should have written: "Cross Country runners are total geeks who have no girlfriends and no social life. Might as well just drink."

I always wondered about the skinny single guys you see propping up the bar at my local. Probably Solinksky and co. (:joke alert!

Comment

During this radio interview he made the comment that pro football players were, on the whole, far more intelligent, articulate and socially well-adjusted than pro baseball players. He mentioned the college education as one reason, and the fact that football is a far more complex game than baseball, with much more intricate teamwork and thinking skills required. And the radio guys all agreed with him across the board.

Very interesting. It certainly goes against ones expectations. I'll have to recalibrate my bias.
                            I'm not. Keep in mind we are talking about a relative comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD

I'm not. Keep in mind we are talking about a relative comparison.
                              True.

So how many of the baseball players do go to college? i thought they had college drafts too?

Comment

Working...
                              X