Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some of your favorite oxymorons?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daisy
    So how many of the baseball players do go to college? i thought they had college drafts too?
    Very few-just like football players.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
      During this radio interview he made the comment that pro football players were, on the whole, far more intelligent, articulate and socially well-adjusted than pro baseball players. He mentioned the college education as one reason, and the fact that football is a far more complex game than baseball, with much more intricate teamwork and thinking skills required. And the radio guys all agreed with him across the board.

I found that an interesting observation, for what it’s worth . . .
      Very interesting. It certainly goes against ones expectations. I'll have to recalibrate my bias.

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
      Originally posted by tafnut
      my impression is that swimmers are pretty good academically.
      don't Cross Country teams usually have a very high GPA?
      Cross Country runners are total geeks who have no girlfriends and no social life. Might as will do their damn homework.
      Im kiddin and i was one, does that warm it up a little?
      Too late to back out now. Sounded like you knew exactly what you're talking about. OK not quite. May be you should have written: "Cross Country runners are total geeks who have no girlfriends and no social life. Might as well just drink."

I always wondered about the skinny single guys you see propping up the bar at my local. Probably Solinksky and co. (:joke alert!

Joke alert TOO LATE.
      phsstt!

Comment

"Cross Country runners are total geeks who have no girlfriends and no social life. Might as will do their damn homework."

Pre??????????????

Comment

"Not sure this is true for all sports, although, American football does seem to fit this quote."

My worst student-athletes by far, were basketball players. Quite a few good student football players took classes from me.

Comment

Cross Country runners are total geeks who have no girlfriends and no social life. Might as will do their damn homework.
            Whoa, my grandson is a XC runner, has a girlfriend, did manage to graduate from HS (although with grades only sufficient for JC). His excuse is a bit of dyslexia (but he apparently knows physical things).

To the thread topic, my favorite oxymoron would be a not too bright student attending college in Eagle Rock, CA. Second would be decaf espresso. Or would that be a self cancelling phrase? Or failure to understand the concept?

Comment

Originally posted by trig
              "Cross Country runners are total geeks who have no girlfriends and no social life. Might as will do their damn homework."

Pre??????????????
              Pre is the coolest Mutha#$%[email protected] that ever lived, (James Dean in spikes) which proves i have my head squarely up my ass....once again.
              phsstt!

Comment

He's the exception that proves the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                  He's the exception that proves the rule.
                  Thank you my Canadian chum.
                  phsstt!

Comment

the best is of course "military intelligence"
                    tafnut, I was going to post that one but I did not because I did not want you to get mad at me !

Comment

Who is that geek, tall, skinny character with the glasses that is the cross country runner that is in some movie? It will come to me-he is a bit of a cult hero, at leat up here.

Comment

Speaking of the military, Monty Python may have created one of the funnier oxymorons, ahem, "military fairies". And have you bought your tickets to the Republican Party? I heard Condi and Mrs. Bush went out to Chippendales. Again.
                        Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Well preserved ruins

Instant classic
                          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                            During this radio interview he made the comment that pro football players were, on the whole, far more intelligent, articulate and socially well-adjusted than pro baseball players. He mentioned the college education as one reason, and the fact that football is a far more complex game than baseball, with much more intricate teamwork and thinking skills required. And the radio guys all agreed with him across the board.

I found that an interesting observation, for what it’s worth . . .
                            Very interesting. It certainly goes against ones expectations. I'll have to recalibrate my bias.
                            Of course one counter argument could be made on the basis of economics. The average baseball player makes more money, plays more years, has a significantly reduced chance of a career-ending or life-changing injury, and all MLB contracts are guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
                              Honest politician
                              That has only become and oxymoron since Lawyers began to make up 90% of the legislature.
                              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                                tafnut, I was going to post that one but I did not because I did not want you to get mad at me !
                                If you had said 'Naval Intelligence' perhaps. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X