Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some of your favorite oxymorons?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"He's the exception that proves the rule."

Matt Centrowitz

Comment

If you really want to select a favorite oxymoron from a long list, see www.oxymoronslist.com. If you want another oxymorons site, try www.oxymorons.info. And if you want to participate in a forum just this one, but dedicated to oxymorons, go to http://www.oxymorons.info/reference/oxymorons/forum.asp

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
        If you really want to select a favorite oxymoron from a long list, see www.oxymoronslist.com.
        great list - just looking at a few from the A-C section:

Affirmative action
        Airline Food
        amicable divorce
        Anarchy Rules!
        athletic scholarship
        California Culture
        California expressway
        California style
        Clinton principles
        Compassionate Conservative
        corporate ethics
        Creation science
        Civil war

Comment

Originally posted by trig

Matt Centrowitz
          For crying out loud. I'm not ging to get into a debate runner by runner. That was a joke for starters but, if you insist, cross country runners GENERALLY SPEAKING are geeks. Period. Full stop. That is a self-evident truth. If they weren't, they wouldn't be portrayed that way in movies. Can you say St Ralph?

Comment

Originally posted by MJD

Matt Centrowitz
            For crying out loud. I'm not ging to get into a debate runner by runner. That was a joke for starters but, if you insist, cross country runners GENERALLY SPEAKING are geeks. Period. Full stop. That is a self-evident truth. If they weren't, they wouldn't be portrayed that way in movies. Can you say St Ralph?
            On the whole I'd say distance runners are introverts. Certainly is not universal by any means.

Comment

"On the whole" might even be stronger than "generally speaking". Canada's best was Paul McCloy. Personifies geek. One of the US's best was Boston Billy. Ditto. I am using the word affectionately by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD

Matt Centrowitz
                I've long been of the opinion that the sport of Track and Field aka Athletics or other way around, is home to more brains than probably most if not all other sports. Or I may just be a slightly biased uninformed. Do soccer and swimming sites attract the level of discussion [forget the depths, we'll consider that one the territory of swimmers, pun] .......track by the nature of its......wait, damn, digressing again and on my own thread. Bad Mennisco!
                Take good care of yourself.

Comment

The Track Canada list has just over 300 people and I think that there are about 10 that either have their PhDs or are working on them. I assume that 3.3% is higher than the norm?

Comment

Originally posted by Mennisco
                    Do soccer and swimming sites attract the level of discussion [forget the depths, we'll consider that one the territory of swimmers, pun] .......track by the nature of its......wait, damn, digressing again and on my own thread. Bad Mennisco!
                    Well, if you are going by level of discussion, the devil's advocate has one word: LetsRun . . .

Comment

I know someone who spent 2 hours speaking to the greatest highschool american distance runner. He said Gerry Lindgren was the biggest most lovable geek he had ever meet.
                      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
                        Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
                        Honest politician
                        That has only become and oxymoron since Lawyers began to make up 90% of the legislature.
                        If I recall correctly, under the rules of this forum, it is permissible to defame an entire profession, but personal attacks are strictly forbidden.

OK, I can live with that.

You are NOT an asshole!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                          I know someone who spent 2 hours speaking to the greatest highschool american distance runner. He said Gerry Lindgren was the biggest most lovable geek he had ever meet.
                          \\

Let's hope loveable geek is not an oxymoron!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                            \\

Let's hope loveable geek is not an oxymoron!
                            Good one Men.
                            phsstt!

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. I think I need to take a rest from the board for a while. Please remind me if I post within 2 weeks that I said this.

Seriously,

Mennisco
                              Boardaholic

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. I think I need to take a rest from the board for a while. Please remind me if I post within 2 weeks that I said this.

Seriously,

Mennisco
                                Boardaholic
                                77 total posts and he needs to take a rest? I guess tafnut is not much of a role model, eh?

Hey, tafnut, this looks like a candidate for mentorship!

Comment

Working...
                                X