Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fords Last A Long Time . . .

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fords Last A Long Time . . .

    Jerry Ford officially becomes the oldest ex-US President of all time. Not bad for a replacement part . . .

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061112/pl_nm/ford_dc

  • #2
    The only president who was never elected
    i assume that's true - so he guys who followed lincoln & mckinley got elected at next election ?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by eldrick
      The only president who was never elected
      i assume that's true - so he guys who followed lincoln & mckinley got elected at next election ?
      No. The point being made is that Gerald Ford is the only Vice President to become President upon the premature vacancy of the Presidential office (in all cases but Ford’s, due to the death of the President) without actually winning a nationwide election to become Vice President. Ford was appointed Vice President after Nixon’s original VP – Spiro Agnew – resigned due to Agnew’s own non-Watergate malfeasance.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bad hammy
        without actually winning a nationwide election to become Vice President
        is that actually true in the wider sense ?

        i keep reading that the presidential candidate sticks on a dummy who may "pick him up a few southern/eastern/western/northern states"
        ( basically, wherever the presidential candidate ain't from )

        does that really work or is the vice-president just any tall, thin guy picked out of vaudeville to support the short, fat, funny guy from abbott & costello ? )

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by eldrick
          is that actually true in the wider sense ?

          i keep reading that the presidential candidate sticks on a dummy who may "pick him up a few southern/eastern/western/northern states"
          ( basically, wherever the presidential candidate ain't from )
          Your analysis is basically correct, although a few VPs have turned out to be pretty good Presidents. In any event, Ford never successfully ran on a national ticket.

          Comment


          • #6
            When Ford became President he then had the obligation to appoint another VP - Nelson Rockefeller. So both the Prez and the VP from 1974-1977 were appointees approved by Congress but never voted into office by the general public and/or Electoral College. 25th Amendment stuff.

            Comment

            Working...
            X