X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top 10 Boxing Movies Ever

Sorry, nothing from the Rocky franchise listed:

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/95140.html

On of my favorite boxing movies that isn't mentioned in that list was a little known release entitled "Ring of Fire". It's the story of Emille Griffith who accidentally killed Benny "The Kid" Paret in the ring. Paret insulted Griffith prior to the fight by teasing his homosexuality and many assumed that Griffith took out his rage on Paret. The movie ends with Paret's son (years later) embracing Griffith and forgiving him for killing his father.
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

There's Raging Bull and Cinderella Man and then 2nd tier.
      phsstt!

Comment

I'm gonna see Rocky Balboa, and dang it, I'm gonna like it!!
        Cinderella Man, Raging Bull and the first Rocky are all 'A' movies.

Comment

"The Boxer" starring Daniel Day-Lewis even though it was so much more than a movie about boxing, and "The Set Up" with Robert Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
            Saw it - LOVED it!!

The 75-Word Reviewer said:

Rocky Balboa – Question: What do you get when you mix Jean-Paul Sartre’s existentialism with Rene Descartes’ rationalistic ‘cogito, ergo sum’, and deliver it in a South Philly youz-guyz declamation of ontological defiance?! Answer: “What's crazy about standing toe-to-toe and saying, ‘I am’?” Well, Sylvester Stallone IS the Italian Stallion and you’d better just deal with it. This is as cornily lovable as the first one and a fitting ending to an American pop culture icon.

Comment

my favorite boxing movie was somebody up there likes me, the rocky graziano story.

Comment

requeim for a heavyweight...

being a philly guy, the 1st rocky movie caught the characters dead on...

caught the soul of philly...

remember the turtles from rocky 1...

they grow up in the latest one

Comment

Id say the following are the top 3 not necessarily in order,

requiem for a heavyweight,
                  rocky ,
                  rocky balboa (even though I have not seen it yet I can tell from the trailer it is going to be unforgettable)
                  ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Saw it - LOVED it!!
                    My wife and I are in PA for the holidays, as usual, and are hoping to catch a screening of "Balboa" in an authentic Philly theater, then to complete the experience go for some hoagies and 'chee-whit' at Pat's or Geno's.

Comment

if onthewaterfront with Marlon Brando could qualify Id rate it up there.. but it doesnt really...it does still have one of the greatest boxing "lines" of all time though that is for sure.
                      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
                        if onthewaterfront with Marlon Brando could qualify Id rate it up there.. but it doesnt really...it does still have one of the greatest boxing "lines" of all time though that is for sure.
                        yeah, this movie coulda been a contenda.

Comment

What, nobody's going to mention Boxing Helena, one of the worst movies ever? Hard to believe it was made by David Lynch's daughter. She makes him seem way normal.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
                            yeah, this movie coulda been a contenda.
                            Instead they sent it off to Palookaville.

Comment

Working...
                            X