Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Felt Good For a Long Time: Brown Dies

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061225/ap_ ... obit_brown

Wow - talk about a pioneer - much of what goes on onstage TODAY traces back to him.

Copsidas said the cause of death was uncertain. "We really don't know at this point what he died of," he said.
    I'd like to think it was simple exhaustion - from 'the hardest working man in show business'.

aka Soul Brother Number One, Mr. Dynamite, Minister of The New New Super Heavy Funk, Mr. Please Please Please, The Boss, and the

Godfather of Soul

Comment

Went out to porch to try out the new wicker chairs and picked up the paper. I said, guess JB doesn't feel good anymore. The wise woman opined, he probably doesn't feel much of anything. RIP GoS.

Comment

I have seen James 10 times and when he was grooving in da funk, right in da pocket, all was right with the world! I remember my wife running down to the stage and touching him and screaming, " I touched his hand!"

Chryssie Hynde of the Pretenders said there should be a statue of JB in every town in America.

I saw JB at a small venue in San Francico and i eventually danced my way on to the stage. He handed me the mike and i sang " Living in America" for all i was worth.

As George said All things must pass but we will never forget The Godfather. Warts and all he is as important to modern music as Bach,Ludwig Van and the Beatles. A true national treasure. RIP soul brother NO.1!!!

"What ever i play its got to be funky"
        phsstt!

Comment

I agree! I only saw him once, and it wasn't his best show--I'm sure--but it was still a real pleasure. For newcomers to his music, I recommend two compilations: "Star Time" (4 CDs) and "Foundations of Funk, A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (2 CDs). The guy was a giant...

Comment

Tough to imagine a world without James Brown. I saw him once but in his early prime. Ironically, it was a Christmas night show: 1964 at the Long Beach Sports Arena. It was only about a year after his seminal James Brown Live at the Apollo album. He did about a dozen false exits in the Please, Please, Please finale, each time with a different colored sequened cape. It was the greatest live show I ever witnessed up until then and equalled only by Jimi Hendrix three years later.

It was also the scariest show I ever stuck around to see... when JB came on stage everyone in the cheap seats took to the aisles and people became way too crowded to keep the peace. Long Beach in those days was just as violent as it is today (see the postings @ the LB Poly athlete on other threads here) - being in the audience that night was truly a life-threatening experience! But it was worth the risks to see that show!!!

Comment

Saw Dreamgirls today. Eddie Murphy stole the show playing a character based on a mixture of Little Richard and James Brown. Beyoncé is sure easy on the eyeballs!

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                Saw Dreamgirls today. Eddie Murphy stole the show playing a character based on a mixture of Little Richard and James Brown. Beyoncé is sure easy on the eyeballs!
                If Stacy reads what you said she will be upset.....

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                  Hey, if my wife can deal with it, Stacy can! Besides, Beyoncé can steal my eyes, but Stacy has my HEART!

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                    Hey, if my wife can deal with it, Stacy can! Besides, Beyoncé can steal my eyes, but Stacy has my HEART!
                    THAT must make your wife feel all warm and fuzzy :twisted: Maybe she dosen't monitor the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
                      THAT must make your wife feel all warm and fuzzy :twisted: Maybe she dosen't monitor the boards.
                      If she did, do y'think I could post THIS?

I

Stacy

Comment

The NY Times started its lengthy obituary on the front page today
                        http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/26/arts/ ... ref=slogin

Comment

I had completely forgotten he had served TWO multi-year prison terms, the first at 16! He serves as an example of someone who can struggle with his personal demons and still do great good.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USTilaOqNHM

Here is JB at his early prime - R&B never got any better than this. Ya gotta watch the whole 9 minutes and you won't regret it. 40 years after the fact the act is still both hilariously funny and compellingly entertaining. Great stuff...

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-trmM_gnMFo

Here is another truly extraordinary bit of video... Brown performing the night after MLK's assassination and ALL BY HIMSELF defusing a potentially violent situation between white cops and black kids in the audience. Is anyone capable of such a thing today?

Comment

Working...
                              X