Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Ford Dies

www.msnbc.msn.com/

I heard a guy on the radio this morning commenting that if Ford had accepted Reagan's offer to run as VP on the GOP ticket in 1980, it is likely that neither George H.W. Bush nor his son would ever have been elected President.

Interesting thought.

Comment

[quote="tandfman"]I heard a guy on the radio this morning commenting that if Ford had accepted Reagan's offer to run as VP on the GOP ticket in 1980, it is likely that neither George H.W. Bush nor his son would ever have been elected President.

It figures, but remember, who is going to take the 2nd spot after being top dog. Let's take a look. Ford accepts 2nd spot for two terms and is elected Pres. Would he have made two terms? If so, Monica would never have had the stain on the blue dress, Hillary would still be in Ark, divorced from Bill. McCain would have finished his 2nd term and we would have Colin Powell as our current Pres. I can live with that.

Ya screwed up Ford, ya should have taken the 2nd spot.

Comment

Trivia question: What other former President died on Dec 26?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          I heard a guy on the radio this morning commenting that if Ford had accepted Reagan's offer to run as VP on the GOP ticket in 1980, it is likely that neither George H.W. Bush nor his son would ever have been elected President.

Interesting thought.

Interesting, but not much else(and certainly not likely). H.W. would have still run in '88(considering that he ran in '80), and assuming he survived the Republican primary(no way Ford would have run) does anyone really think Dukakis would have beaten him, even without the VP incumbency? Not a chance.

The road may have taken a couple doglegs, but ended up in the same place.
          There are no strings on me

Comment

Yes of course. Other possibilities, though.

--Ford decides to run for pres in '88. Not likely at age 75, but you never know. I think the commentator I heard this morning presumed that Ford would have run and been a shoo-in. I agree with you--not a probability.
            --Reagan and/or the GOP decide to dump Ford after one term and to set up someone else for a strong bid in '88, and if that person isn't GHWB (and it might not have been), we may never have Bushes.
            --Reagan-Ford last 8 years but in the meantime, GHWB does something that makes him un-electable in '88, maybe even un-nominatable.

Comment

Originally posted by HL
              Trivia question: What other former President died on Dec 26?
              I believe that was Truman, in about 1973. Then LBJ died too about a month later.

Comment

Chevy Chase's reaction.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16370028/?gt1=8816
                There are no strings on me

Comment

I certainly am no fan of President Bush, far from it... and I agree with what ex-President Ford apparently told Bob Woodward re Bush's Rush to War in Iraq.... but having said that, does it not seem a bit opportunistic and selfish ( money ! notoriety ! ) for Woodward to publicize Ford's utterances so quickly ? When Ford agreed to the deal I can't believe he thought the quote would be publicized before he was even in the ground.

Comment

"Bush said that Ford could laugh at those who mimicked him, and then added: "I remember that lesson well, since being able to laugh at yourself is essential in public life. I'd tell you more about that, but as [comedian and Bush mimic] Dana Carvey would say, 'Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.'""

http://tinyurl.com/yfwnmn

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                      "Bush said that Ford could laugh at those who mimicked him, and then added: "I remember that lesson well, since being able to laugh at yourself is essential in public life. I'd tell you more about that, but as [comedian and Bush mimic] Dana Carvey would say, 'Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.'""

http://tinyurl.com/yfwnmn
                      Sounds like something Squackee would say!!

Comment

Well, Dana Carvey did have a few words to say about Gerald Ford's death a few years back: http://tinyurl.com/y9d229

Comment

Working...
                        X