• Deadwood, SD

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boise State/Oklahoma.

Best football game I've ever seen.

Period.
  • tafnut
    • Oct 2005
    • Lost at C (-minus)

And it ended even better! I totally agree!!!

Comment

• guru
      • Oct 2005
      • Deadwood, SD

Originally posted by tafnut
      And it ended even better! I totally agree!!!

Yes, I must admit I was pulling for Boise all the way. What are the odds when Oklahoma scored that heatbreaker interception return for the go ahead touchdown with a minute to play that Boise's kids would score the tying touchdown, much less:

- score the tying TD on a hook-and-ladder lateral play

- score the tying TD in overtime on a 4th down halfback direct-snap option, throwing it with his GLOVES on

- go for the two-pointer to win, when an extra-point would have tied it, then score on the statue of liberty handoff.

The team with the biggest balls won. And I don't mean FOOTballs.

Whew!!

Comment

• gh
        Administrator
        • Oct 2005
        • west of Westeros

I don't have a lot of use for college football to begin with, so my vote may not count for much (or does it count for more?!), but that was indeed one of the better ones ever. Boise has it in hand I go to pee and come back and the Sooners have it locked up, I tke the recycyling out and it has gone the other way?..... iayeee!!!!

Comment

• jazzcyclist
          • Oct 2005

The thing that impressed me was how flawlessly Boise St. was able to execute all those trick plays. That's what you call good coaching - practicing a play until you can't get it wrong versus practicing it until you get it right.

Comment

• tandfman
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by gh
            I go to pee and come back and the Sooners have it locked up, I tke the recycyling out and it has gone the other way?..... iayeee!!!!
            Go to pee? Take out the recycling? Isn't that why they have commercials?

Comment

• tafnut
              • Oct 2005
              • Lost at C (-minus)

I didn't have much emotional investment in the game, but every time I checked in on it, BSU was still hanging in there, so I started watching just to see Oklahoma finally put away those upstarts. Then it was after midnight and I kept wanting to go to sleep, but OK was still catching up. Then the interception return was the nail in the coffin. I was JUUUUST about to turn it off when BAM BSU miraculously scores to send it to OT, which I assumed OK would easily win (considering they had played from a first minute 2TD deficit). All those gadget plays were A-W-E-S-O-M-E! I love the BSU coach!!!
              I seriously cannot remember a more entertaining game than this one.

Comment

• BisonHurdler
                • Oct 2005
                • Bodymore, Murderland

I was really tired last night and was falling asleep with the game on in the background. The last thing I remember is hearing OU intercept a pass and score a TD, so I fell asleep knowing OU pulled out the win (to my disappointment ...I was pulling for BSU ). When I saw the story on the news this morning I kicked myself for going to sleep!

Comment

• mike renfro
                  • Oct 2005
                  • San Diego

Sad but true. I only watch 2 bowls over the weekend, Rose and Fiesta. when Boise St blew an 18 point lead to allow the tie, I wasn't too thrilled. Next play from scrimmage, pick 6. Time to walk the dog. Imagine my suprise :shock:

Comment

• lonewolf
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Indian Territory

I agree, from 32 bowl games, a game for the ages.
                    As an Okla State alumni, I am not as emotionally invested in OU as many Okies are but since my youngest daughter is an OU grad, I am expected to root for OU, except when they are playing OSU.
                    I gotta admit, I weaseled and waffled on this game.
                    I found myself pulling for the team that was behind.. after OU spotted Boise 14 points in the first quarter, I was pulling for them to catch up, and when they did, despite Thompson throwing another really dumb interception to a wide open Boise defender, I thought OU deserved to win but when Boise executed that last 53 second, 80 yard drive, I awarded the game to Boise. Then when OU scored the OT TD, 54 second, I thought, whew!!.. then when Boise rammed in their OT TD, I hoped they would go for two and end it one way or the other.. Boise earned the W.

Comment

• bad hammy
                      • Oct 2005

SI has a lot of behind the Boise St. scenes stuff from before, during and after the game:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... ml?cnn=yes

Comment

• Dietmar239
                        • Oct 2005
                        • I'm a traveller of both time and space to be where I have been.

Well, I've been a boomer Sooner since birth but I have to give Boise State their props. They played a great game. However, Paul Thompson (AKA captain Choke) was a major reason why the Sooners lost this game. You can't turn the ball over numerous time during a bowl game and expect to win. It wasn't even the pressure that caused the turnovers, just poor decisions.

It's funny to me that most of my friends and relatives back in Oklahoma turned the game off and weren't watching it since OU was doing a lousy job well into the fourth quarter. I frantically called like 10 people I know to make sure that they're up watching the game and got answering machines. Most of them missed the last six minutes which were simply unbelievable. When most of them finally woke up and turned the TV on only to see Boise's 2-pt conversion, all of them said, "you woke me up for this?"
                        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

• MJD
                          • Oct 2005

Videos of the key plays:

Get NCAA College Football news, scores, stats, poll rankings & more for your favorite college teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

Comment

• jazzcyclist
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by bad hammy
                            SI has a lot of behind the Boise St. scenes stuff from before, during and after the game:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... ml?cnn=yes
                            Thanks bh. Great article!

Comment

• tafnut
                              • Oct 2005
                              • Lost at C (-minus)

Originally posted by MJD
                              The best thing about all the gadget plays are how well they are executed. It's not just a metter of trying the ol' fumblerooskie, you gotta SELL it. In the flea-flicker, the receiver sells the run one way with his one step and then casually pitches it behind him PERFECTLY. In the statue of liberty play, the QB totally looks like he threw the screen. There was a lotta practice time put in these plays and if BSU hadn't found itself exactly in the predicament it did, they never would have been called. How many more were there?

Comment

Working...
                              X