Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    James White, I believe is the guy who played basketball and hj'ed(7-1) at U of Florida, then b-ball and long jumped(25-6) at U of Cincinnatti.
    Ziani ?, if he is French, has hj'ed about 7-2.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    So we're all on the same page, historically "vertical jump/leap" has referred--and I believe correctly so--to one standing flatfooted on the floor and then jumping. No stepping, running, etc., involved.

So any mention of "vertical jump/leap" in conjunction with a dunk is something totally different.
    I have always tested new prospects on 4 things:

1. flat-footed vert
    2. one-step two-footed vert
    3. one-step one-footed vert
    4. running one-footed vert

Surprisingly often there seems to be liitle direct correlation between 1 and 4.
    And the best HJ prospects usually are the best at 3, not necessarily 4, because they have not mastered as good a run up as others. But I still take the exceptional 1s and 2s in the fervert belief that my 'masterful' coaching will make the difference. It's taken me a long time to understand that some people are just better at a 2-foot takeoff, even though I am MUCH better with 1 than 2 feet.

Leave a comment:

• figo
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    So we're all on the same page, historically "vertical jump/leap" has referred--and I believe correctly so--to one standing flatfooted on the floor and then jumping. No stepping, running, etc., involved.

So any mention of "vertical jump/leap" in conjunction with a dunk is something totally different.
    this was my understanding too... but is the lingo changing these days? i haven't a clue.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• figo
    replied
    look at the vid dunk shot #1.
    check out the guy's head in relation to his hands
    i'm not totally convinced but this might be the first guy i've seen that can bite the rim.
    the guy stands at 5 ft 11 they say,
    that puts the vertical at about 4 feet 1 inch (to rim) and say 4 inches over gives
    a 53 inch vertical on that particular jump.

they list the guy at 60 inches but i'm not willing to believe that claim as yet.

i suspect that some high jumpers can put their chin on the rim???

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Didn't we have a estimate put on here before of what the COG arc would have to be for that, so we could estimate what the LJ equivalency was? I thought it worked out to 24'+, which for an untrained (speaking track-wise) athlete, who is NOT running that fast in the approach, IS pretty remarkable.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Only because so few people have tried it.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    And dunking from the foul line is no big deal.
    Maybe if you're 7' tall and have a huge arm-span, but for even a 'normal' 6'4 person, yeah, it's pretty spectacular.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    We've been down this road before. Most vertical-leap claims are made up out of whole cloth. And dunking from the foul line is no big deal.

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    I also have a clipping of 5'3" Mugsy Bogues, in college, two-hand reverse dunking after just taking one step.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Any list that leaves out David Thompson can't be very complete!

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    Definitely put Conway & Austin in that group. Please don't forget Stefan Holm (remember the hurdling video). I would also imagine Franklin Jacobs had an ungodly vertical leap. One thing I have noticed though is that your two-foot jumpers don't always have great one-foot jumping ability. Therefore, a guy like the globe trotter we saw may only be a 7-footer if trained in the high jump because of the different mechanics.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Mennisco
    Originally posted by tafnut
    Jumps coaches everywhere would consider any of these guys a career opportunity. The guy who takes off the foul line looks like a 27'+ guy for sure. Most could be 7' HJers for sure, but 8'? Soto easily had the talent of all these guys, with the possible exception of the Globetrotter who dunked on the 12' rim. He was in a class by himself probably. Luckily Soto was born in Cuba, where his best hope for fame was HJing, not roundball dunking.
    Send out the scouts! How about a World Vertical Jump face off between the NBA and the IAAF? Each gets to submit a team of 10 athletes. Individual and team-averaged awards. Oh my banal daydreams
    I'd put Mike Powell and Michael Conley in a class with any of these guys. I wonder what King Carl's vert was like. I bet Hollis Conway and Charles Austin had some game too. Dwight Stones used to say he had an unremarkable vert, but I think he was sandbagging.

Leave a comment:

• Mennisco
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    Jumps coaches everywhere would consider any of these guys a career opportunity. The guy who takes off the foul line looks like a 27'+ guy for sure. Most could be 7' HJers for sure, but 8'? Soto easily had the talent of all these guys, with the possible exception of the Globetrotter who dunked on the 12' rim. He was in a class by himself probably. Luckily Soto was born in Cuba, where his best hope for fame was HJing, not roundball dunking.
    Send out the scouts! How about a World Vertical Jump face off between the NBA and the IAAF? Each gets to submit a team of 10 athletes. Individual and team-averaged awards. Oh my banal daydreams

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X