Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre The Giant (read w/ many grains of salt)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre The Giant (read w/ many grains of salt)

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/i ... giant.html

Re: Andre The Giant (read w/ many grains of salt)

Originally posted by gh
    http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/10_06/10_06_andre_giant.html
    Trahhf nn feelld neeusss suucks com com compaaared ta druunyard meeghzzzeeeinee.........
    phsstt!

Comment

it has been estimated that Andre the Giant drank 7,000 calories worth of booze every day. The figure doesn’t include food. Just booze.
      a. that's just silly.
      b. there's no reason to disbelieve his reputation as the world's greatest drinker, because certainly the size and nature (semi-athletic) of his body could metabolize more alcohol than anyone else's on the planet (maybe Yao or Shaq would be in the same league, but their sports schedule would preclude such an appetite).
      c. 7 daily kilocalories of alcohol would still do serious brain and liver damage, so no, I don't believe it. He could sustain it for weeks at a time, but not year in and year out.

Comment

Well, the one time I ran into him in our airport hotel in Spokane, he was certainly not sober. Huge, gargantuan, but in no way sober.

Comment

"and I don't even work out!"

Comment

God grant me the serenity to accept the giant drunkards who over the earth do range,

The courage to get on the road knowing there are some of these people behind a wheel,

And the wisdom to never piss them off.
            Take good care of yourself.

Comment

During trips Andre consumed beer at the incredible rate of a case every ninety minutes, with bottles of vodka or top-rate French wine thrown in for variety.

This legend ranks up there with Wilt's 20,000 lovers and a preschooler running 100 miles or so.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                During trips Andre consumed beer at the incredible rate of a case every ninety minutes, with bottles of vodka or top-rate French wine thrown in for variety.
                Guinness (pun!) Record for World's Largest Bladder?

Comment

Originally posted by Pego

This legend ranks up there with Wilt's 20,000 lovers and a preschooler running 100 miles or so.
                  There was an SI piece on Andre back in the day, and I would have trusted their scholarship on it, in which the writer claimed to have been at a meal with him in which he consumed (this by MEMORY however) a dozen beers, three bottles of red wine and a bottle of vodka.

Hulk Hogan was on local talk show just the other night, talking about the famous Wrestlemania where he slammed Andre. His claim was that The Giant weighed about 750 at the time and in picking him up and turning him Hulk shredded his triceps and lats and couldn't wrestle for weeks thereafter.

Ahh, the good old days of real rasslin'! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Ahh, the good old days of real rasslin'! :-)
                    And real drinkin' apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/10_06/10_06_andre_giant.html
                      i don't think american type beer would have much effect on him at all and maybe wine goes down like beer for the average person....

i looked at that modernd site and its pretty funny.

“You’d think if someone really wanted to be mayor, he’d buy a couple rounds for the, you know, potential voters. Because I vote. I vote like crazy.”
                      Jess T., trying to politic a round from the Wynkoop Brewery, which happens to be owned by Denver Mayoral candidate John Hickenlooper.
                      http://drunkard.com/md_wino_wisdom.htm

Comment

Originally posted by figo
                        ...i don't think american type beer would have much effect on him at all and maybe wine goes down like beer for the average person........

Ahh, the good old Canadian beer myth!

http://worldofbeer.com/brightbeer/canbeermyth.html

Comment

myth?

my opinion is based largely on americans coming to canada and what they are saying...

while in the states, i confess to not drinking that much so i really can't say anything with accuracy.

i did think the us beer was substantially lighter but you can't necessarily trust the mind once the bias is in there. you know, have a big night and no real hangover type observation...

i'll go away with the thought that canadian beer is a bit stronger but not much...
                          i looked at the stats - google, a regular canadian beer is a bit stronger than a bud..

some would say, whatever...

http://www.brewery.org/library/AlClbinger.html

Comment

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.co...on-the-job.htm

as i enjoyed my first look at modernd, i took another look and found the following combo of the wise and the wise ass rhetoric..... it turns out journalists are first on the list... not my doing gh ....

Journalists: Hooch is especially adept in helping one communicate with strangers and making up fanciful yarns, which explains why journalists hold it in such high esteem. While not the bastion of round-the-clock carousing it once was, liquor is still well-entrenched in the profession. British and Australian newspapermen are still remarkably unabashed about the habit, and speak about it with shocking forthrightness. Their Yank cousins prefer unabashed denial. Nearly every American journalist I’ve met will perform a very elaborate dance around the subject then, if pressed, confess that he or she doesn’t actually care for the stuff. I’ve seen enough of them later, in bars, doing a very different dance, to know they are, almost to the man, extremely deluded or clever liars.

Clowns: I’ve never met one who wasn’t a lush. And who can blame them? Would any of us want to entertain a gang of screaming brats while in the grips of grey sobriety?

Salesmen: Back when salesmen were viewed as barely employable con men working some sort of semi-legal grift, the profession was populated almost entirely with drunks. In recent years the craft has attained a vague sense of semi-respectability, and that damnable respectability brought with it new rules against drinking. Not that those rules are necessarily followed.

CEOs: The best drinking positions are those that require little supervision and don’t require you deliver tangible results. Which is why the CEO’s office is one the last great citadels of workaday lushing. According to one study, the higher you climb, the more likely you’re going to drink on the job: Twenty-three percent of managers are estimated to juice on the clock, compared to eleven percent of supervisors and eight percent of hourly workers. Every CEO and military officer I have ever worked for (aside from an overwhelmed Mormon gentleman who would engage in monthly nervous breakdowns) was obviously or strongly rumored to be a lush. And why not? Sitting around not doing much at all can make a man surprisingly thirsty.

Law Enforcement: An estimated 25% of police officers are thought to be alcoholics. Why? Well, there’s the stress, the long hours, the siege mentality, and the fact that they have little fear of getting arrested for drinking-related crimes.

Service Industry Workers: This includes cooks, chefs, bartenders, DJs, wait staff, bouncers, strippers and those that support and lead them. It’s nearly impossible to work in the midst of all that booze and not drink. In fact, you should look with keen suspicion upon any who do not drink: If they disdain the product they’re pushing, they most likely view you with equal disdain.

Graveyard Shifters: The overnight shift is a natural habitat for drunks. First, it tends to draw night owls (and we know what sort of people they are), there is usually little or no supervision (when the cat is snoozing, the mice are boozing), and those long, horrific and unnatural hours of ennui will drive even a parson to the bottle.

College Professors: They drink for the same reasons as clowns do, the only differences being they are protected by tenure and the screeching children tend to be older, if not better behaved.

Construction Workers: Despite the inherent dangers, shrill investigative reporters routinely catch these men getting hammered at lunch then jumping behind the controls of fifteen-ton cranes. If you ever wanted to gaze upon a monument to on-the-job drinking, stick your head out the nearest window and take a gander at your city’s skyline.

Lawyers: Lawyers will tell you they drink because they have to assume the most horrible problems and crises of others. Others will say they drink because they are in league with the devil, and by association, demon rum. I say they are superior drunks, if not the best tippers.

Comment

They skipped over the physicians (my kind), LOL.
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X