Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dl
    replied
    Screw Google! They're a big reason it's so hard to find a decent place to rent in Mountain View... :-)

As for buying a house, forget it...

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    The "work ethic" in Silicon Valley is pretty fierce. A 40-hour week is a part-time job :-)
    Yeah, but none of those people have lives outside of work to worry about anyway.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    When Apple held its new product rollout on Tuesday, the news crawl talked about CEO Jobs at the company.

Where do I sign up for a CEO job?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    The "work ethic" in Silicon Valley is pretty fierce. A 40-hour week is a part-time job :-)

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I'll bite---what's #28? Is it related to Area 51?
    Kimley-Horn, engineering firm. They promote 4 9-hr & 1/2 day Fridays, but in reality you have to work a minimum of 46 hours per week to meet your billable time since they consider themselves an "extra effort firm" that gave 115%. Also, any day off you took, vacation or even Xmas, they subtracted 8 hours from your annual time so you had to make up 8 hours for every day you took off. So, in reality, you had no paid time off at all. They did pay extremely well and had killer benefits though. Should've known it wasn't for me when during the interview HR reiterated several times I needed to let my family know I wouldn't see them much.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I'll bite---what's #28? Is it related to Area 51?

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    Used to work at #28. Gladly paid back my signing bonus to leave.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Just wait until they get bought out by some private equity firm whose number crunchers will then do their thing. Before long, lunch will be pretzels, just like the airlines.
    While some version of that scenario is possible, competition for top talent in Silicon Valley is so hot that what you call "perks" tend to be kinda standard fare around here. (Of course, you also have to pay a million bucks to find a house...)

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    ... or, if they pull a Ryanair, you:ll have to pay for those pretzels.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Just wait until they get bought out by some private equity firm whose number crunchers will then do their thing. Before long, lunch will be pretzels, just like the airlines.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    it's all in the perks

A sand volleyball court and $5,000 for employees who buy hybrid cars.

People come to work sometimes in their pajamas, some in their tuxedos, some can work on their own stuff, they have freedom to explore and enjoy life there.

Free gourmet food is served at the Mountain View headquarters from 11 cafes, each serving different kinds of cuisine including organic salads, Indian fare and Chinese food. Snack bars stocked with an endless supply of candy and drinks are scattered around the office

Workers also get access to free laundry machines, on-site doctors and a concierge who can arrange dinner reservations. New parents can be reimbursed for up to $500 for takeout meals during the first four weeks they are with their baby.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Might be the best place to work, but they need a ton of help in Dublin (IE) with filling all of their open requisitions.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    started a topic Fortune Says Google The Best Place To Work

Fortune Says Google The Best Place To Work

The Fortune dudes called us up to apologize for leaving T&FN out. Said we're clearly the runner-up, but they didn't feel it would look right for Mountain View firms to take the first two spots.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 002&sc=845
Working...
X