Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    It is quite reasonable to believe that global warming is real and may even be man-made but that it does not cause droughts and flooding at the same time.
    Why not? Mother nature creates them simultaneously, depending on the conditions in that region. If you believe that MMGW is a thing, you can certainly see how droughts and floods and polar vortexes and hurricanes and every kind of severe weather can be exacerbated by the changes that MMGW manifests. That's what climatologists do for a living: see how the models are changing and ascertaining what that means for Mommy Earth.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
      ..and I doubt anyone has changed their mind..
      I used to be a shoulder-shrugger about it all - what shall be shall be - but then I actually started reading up on it and was alarmed at what I was seeing. Too much overwhelming data to ignore.

Comment

• Originally posted by bobguild76 View Post
        ...But then again, we're on page 165 of the same discussion. :-)
        you obvioiusly need to change your settings: I'm only on p. 42 (seriously)

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
          you obvioiusly need to change your settings: I'm only on p. 42 (seriously)
          My laptop only shows 10 posts per page. How can I change the settings? (Asks the computer dummy.) It's probably a simple operation, and I would love it to show more.

Comment

• Why bother....a new format is coming soon anyways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              I used to be a shoulder-shrugger about it all - what shall be shall be - but then I actually started reading up on it and was alarmed at what I was seeing. Too much overwhelming data to ignore.
              I used to be alarmed by the urgency of rising CO2 levels and climate change, but then I actually started to read carefully up on it and I was alarmed at how ignorant and easily manipulted so many people can be. There was just too much overwhelming data against the sky-is-falling climate alarmism.
              Last edited by user4; 02-02-2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                sorry, it's already happening
                Indeed....as the business world realizes....in the FT tomorrow.

Climate change is causing the most significant shift in the investment universe I have seen in my 35 years in the industry. But if asset managers are to play a critical role, they must adopt a more radical approach.

Our customers, particularly the next generation, regard climate change as the biggest global threat.

We need to respond in a manner that is substantive, authentic, informed and impactful. This means focusing on actions, not excuses; outcomes, not intentions.

Investors cannot wait for governments to respond. Capital must be redeployed to find solutions and address the risks. We also need to be direct in representing our views.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Why not? Mother nature creates them simultaneously, depending on the conditions in that region. If you believe that MMGW is a thing, you can certainly see how droughts and floods and polar vortexes and hurricanes and every kind of severe weather can be exacerbated by the changes that MMGW manifests. That's what climatologists do for a living: see how the models are changing and ascertaining what that means for Mommy Earth.
                  Changing models to blame every extreme weather condition on global warming is not science. We have had floods, droughts, hurricanes, and tornadoes since ancient times. After Katrina in 2005, we had a bunch of years without a hurricane hitting the continental USA and not a peep out of the alarmists about hurricanes. Then when a hurricane finally hit, it was immediately chalked up to global warming.

A true and accurate model would look at not just potential legit costs, but also benefits, such as milder winters in the northeastern USA, and better agricultural conditions in some regions.
                  Last edited by Halfmiler2; 02-03-2020, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• I may have proffered my opinion previously. It will all work out. I am confident mankind will survive, regardless of what we do or don't do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      Indeed....as the business world realizes....in the FT tomorrow.

Climate change is causing the most significant shift in the investment universe I have seen in my 35 years in the industry. But if asset managers are to play a critical role, they must adopt a more radical approach.

Our customers, particularly the next generation, regard climate change as the biggest global threat.

We need to respond in a manner that is substantive, authentic, informed and impactful. This means focusing on actions, not excuses; outcomes, not intentions.

Investors cannot wait for governments to respond. Capital must be redeployed to find solutions and address the risks. We also need to be direct in representing our views.

If you cant trust hedge fund managers to know how to make money who can you trust ? .. which certainly proves what carnival vendors knew 4000 years ago, that businessmen know what their customers want and maybe more importantly know how to market what they are selling even when they don't.

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                      Prohibiting private jets going to climate change conferences would be a good start.
                      How dare you!
                      Last edited by user4; 02-03-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Record high temperature in Antarctica reported -- 18.3C (64.9F)

https://www.euronews.com/2020/02/07/...each-of-18-3-c

Comment

• 84 here yesterday - 17 degrees above normal. We've been 7-10 degrees above normal for most of the last month. Mild winters here are fine with me, but I haven't seen ice here in over 10 years and it used to be an annual occurrence.

Comment

• Record high of about 70F here on Sunday. Then down to about 0F by the wee hours on Wednesday, with snow Mon/Tues and again last night.

Comment

• I enjoy mild winters--who in the Northeast or Midwest doesn't? But I'm truly concerned by global warming and its implications on the world in which my grandchildren (and their grandchildren) will have to live. If there are things that governments and businesses can reasonably do to slow global warming and reduce its effects, at least some of those things should be done, and the sooner the better.

Comment

• There are several Message Board rules that inhibit my response to that. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X